acceptance of subscription services

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

What do you think of subscription services?

best thing since the wheel
1%
dumbest thing since the square wheel
24%
totally neutral: don't care one way or the other
11%
I am subscribed to 1 or more
6%
I will never subscribe to 1 or more
35%
what's a subscription service?
No votes
I use ADOBE
1%
I use Roland cloud
3%
I use Komplete now
0%
I use other subscription service
3%
I use lamp, I LOVE LAMP
4%
potato
12%

Total votes: 262

RELATED
PRODUCTS

acceptance of subscription services

curious and just for fun

As long as it's entirely optional and there aren't any shenanigans involved to try and steer people away from the buying the full version

Right approach: Presonus Sphere (from what I can tell)
Questionable approach: Reason+

loungepanda wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:46 pm As long as it's entirely optional and there aren't any shenanigans involved to try and steer people away from the buying the full version
Yup, that's me - though it's more about not penalising any perpetual customers for me. If subscribers get a great deal on their terms, good for them.

Roll it out far and wide, just don't break perpetual for those of us who prefer it. Therefore I don't know what to click in the poll.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

It works for some things like TV/films/Music or vast catalogues of sounds/stock images etc…, but not for software. I can't stand SAS. :evil:

I think you should clarify the choices. Are you talking about things like prime video/ spotify? Or just reason/izotope subscription. The question is too broad.

Dislike intently. Music for me tends to be a winter hobby, photography a summer hobby. As a result, subscriptions can sit for up to 6 months a year being terrible value for my money.

I've just left Adobe CC for that very reason, and their early release fee means I will never go back and will actively seek out non subscription photo alternatives.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Never touch them

Biome_Digital wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:43 pm I can't stand SAS.
is it the balaclavas?

Biome_Digital wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:43 pm but not for software. I can't stand SAS. :evil:
I understand it, and also dislike it at the same time. We used to buy a thing, and KEEP it as is. Now, with software, there is an option for it to grow better and better over time. Subscription addresses that, where new versions used to.

So, it's like, do you wait two years, then by a newer version that has many new amazing features, or keep what you got, or pay a continuing thing and be on the latest version with all the features? Espeically if they cost out the same. ?

And programmers got to eat too. I get that. Especially if enhancing - adding more work into programming. Thus, new version to buy later.

I dunno.... not going to fix the poll, it is VERY unscientific, make it mean whatever you want it to. very general

danbroad wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:49 pm Dislike intently. Music for me tends to be a winter hobby, photography a summer hobby. As a result, subscriptions can sit for up to 6 months a year being terrible value for my money.

I've just left Adobe CC for that very reason, and their early release fee means I will never go back and will actively seek out non subscription photo alternatives.
Affinity is what I switched too.

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:51 pm
Biome_Digital wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:43 pm I can't stand SAS.
is it the balaclavas?
No, the boots.

I hate subscriptions for multiple reasons. First of all, you’re now tied to a system that’s often trying to phone home, and when nobody’s home, you can’t use the software you paid for. Several times during my time as a Roland Cloud subscriber I was basically told that my payment was irrelevant because they were having an issue. If that was the one and only time I was going to use a Roland plugin that month, I was ripped off.

Second, I often go many months without using a plugin. I like to have a wide variety of software to work with. I guess I could just subscribe for a month when I’m in the mood, but I can’t be bothered to keep track of that. I’m already juggling multiple subscription TV services.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

wwjd wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:53 pm
Biome_Digital wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:43 pm but not for software. I can't stand SAS. :evil:
I understand it, and also dislike it at the same time. We used to buy a thing, and KEEP it as is. Now, with software, there is an option for it to grow better and better over time. Subscription addresses that, where new versions used to.

So, it's like, do you wait two years, then by a newer version that has many new amazing features, or keep what you got, or pay a continuing thing and be on the latest version with all the features? Espeically if they cost out the same. ?

And programmers got to eat too. I get that. Especially if enhancing - adding more work into programming. Thus, new version to buy later.

I dunno.... not going to fix the poll, it is VERY unscientific, make it mean whatever you want it to. very general
But we got to this point buying our software and upgrading when new features were useful to us. The last 30 years or something have worked perfectly fine like this. Now even my thermostat wants me to subscribe!! :hihi: TBH, it's getting ridiculous.

I didn't vote as it's too broad to say, meaning, I have no music software subscriptions and don't indend too for as long as possible, but I do have music and video subscriptions. I also still cherish my old DVD collection which I regularly use and some of my favourite time is spent with my kids going through my DVDs. You just don't get that same feeling with Netflix. :neutral:

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:59 pm I hate subscriptions for multiple reasons.

I often go many months without using a plugin. I like to have a wide variety of software to work with. I guess I could just subscribe for a month when I’m in the mood, but I can’t be bothered to keep track of that.
Aaannddd... that is an excellent point. I have several DAWS I need only occasionally, a few minutes a month in some cases! What if every delay and reverb plugin was subscription? lol

I think a few companies that offer everything might get away with it for a bit, but if everyone ends up doing it, the users will ultimately suffer through lack of choice. No, I am not a fan, but each to their own. If I was a newbie, a cheap monthly subscription might actually be very inviting.

Return to “Instruments”