TO ALL Developers of Software Plugins ! Take out Personal Informations from Plugins !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

e-crooner wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:10 pm I think the user ID, his name, tel, blood group, credit card number etc. should be included in the sound the synth makes, a kind of audio watermark :hihi:
I just use my credit card number and PIN as my user ID whenever I register new software. Problem solved and I never have to worry about forgetting them. :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:18 pm
e-crooner wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:10 pm I think the user ID, his name, tel, blood group, credit card number etc. should be included in the sound the synth makes, a kind of audio watermark :hihi:
I just use my credit card number and PIN as my user ID whenever I register new software. Problem solved and I never have to worry about forgetting them. :tu:
See, a little common sense is all it takes :tu:

Audiority wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:37 pm Hey guys,

I just want to share my 2 cents about the issue that the OP posted in this thread. Please, take the following as a personal point of view. I'm sure some devs/users might agree or disagree with me.

We are one of the developers who display the registered name on the GUI. That helped us discovering abuses over the years and, very recently, we caught a big studio here in Italy showcasing our Echoes... a pirated copy of Echoes. I were able to spot that thanks to that label, then get in touch with the studio asking them to explain themselves. That episode ended up with the studio purchasing the software they were using for their work. For us, showing the registered name is a good deterrent against using pirated copies of our products. Is that fail proof? Absolutely not. There are a LOT of users out there sharing pictures and videos in their channels using pirated copies of our products.

About breaking GDPR... that's not the case. Licenses are individual and since you have to provide your real full name (or company name) during the purchase, that's perfectly legit since ties the purchase with the software license. Said that, I understand that someone who wants to showcase his works online doesn't want to share his full name. I got a couple of stalkers myself, so I can totally relate.

I think that hiding that information will help spreading pirated copies around, but I also think that we can improve that. I we could find a way to generate a sort of unique id for that license, then we'll have a way to link a product to a purchase without forcing a legit user to show his full name.

I don't know how long this will take, but that's something I'm totally open to.

Just my 2 cents,
Luca
Apprecciate that...fully understand it and i just throw PGP (Pretty Good Privacy)...as an maybe-solution in this comment - its based on private and public key, public key shows for all who can see the plugin (as REAL ID information), private key is for the dev (i thing you need only one?)...i am not deep into this...but its just a idea...anybody can think about it...

billcarroll wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:50 pm What I've gotten out of this thread. "Das ist Quatsch."

We are all Urs.
That was about the only bit of German I understood! :lol:

I understand where Urs is coming from re: providing support. Sadly, computer-literate people rarely have to call support, so having all the important data in one easily accessible spot truly helps. The fact that only the Init patch shows any personal data is the icing on the cake and is a good compromise.

Hearing about companies/musicians/etc. actually earning money with pirated plugins makes my blood boil. I can understand the poor 14-year old kid doing it, but criminy! Buy the damn plug-ins once you're flush! :x
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

QED
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:19 am what's the German for 'armchair lawyer?' :lol:
Sesselanwalt..Anwaltskammer..jeez, different depending on the translation engine, the latter being Google.. :help:
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

.... ...

Return to “Instruments”