wich soft synth has the biggest sound

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

reaktor is on par to monark and give a lot more so i think it s the best options with diva from synth i know .

softube modular might be a good one but i already own reaktor and vcv i won t invest in one more modular

kobal wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 am softube modular might be a good one but i already own reaktor and vcv i won t invest in one more modular
This is a mistake, especially given YOU are the one looking for "fatness." Softube Modular is definitely on a much higher level than Reaktor or VCV in terms of that raw sound.

It's iLok, though, so if that is your reason to avoid it: fair enough.

But you owe it to yourself to demo it and A/B it against Reaktor. The difference is obvious.

I'm pretty sure that Multiplier proved that Diva has the fattest sine waves.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Say, what is the fattest additive synth?

Trick question. The answer is always Diva. You want to get fattitive? Multiple instances.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Introspective wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:39 pm
kobal wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 am softube modular might be a good one but i already own reaktor and vcv i won t invest in one more modular
This is a mistake, especially given YOU are the one looking for "fatness." Softube Modular is definitely on a much higher level than Reaktor or VCV in terms of that raw sound.

But you owe it to yourself to demo it and A/B it against Reaktor. The difference is obvious.
I have the opposite opinion but each to their own. I appreciate that these things are subjective. As far as I am concerned nothing matches the sound quality of Reaktor Blocks not to mention the fun factor. And I do own and use real modulars and generally hate plugins, but Reaktor Blocks is really that good.

Softube Modular sounds quite fake - if you have the opportunity to compare it to the real components it’s supposed to emulate. I am not saying it’s bad, but it’s not an accurate model. Whereas Reaktor Blocks does not model anything specific (well, not intentionally apart from Monark blocks) but it does capture the analog feel and sound the best, not to mention the level of control to external devices like your real modular. In my book Realtor Blocks wins in sound quality and functionality, also in GUI and general aesthetics.

audiouser720 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:16 pm I have the opposite opinion but each to their own. I appreciate that these things are subjective. As far as I am concerned nothing matches the sound quality of Reaktor Blocks not to mention the fun factor. ... In my book Realtor Blocks wins in sound quality and functionality, also in GUI and general aesthetics.
Wow!

...I mean, I can't argue the workflow. Softube Modular's workflow suck-diddily-ucks. But the sound makes it worth the hassle.

Far and away a "fatter" sound, to my ears, than Reaktor.

No, I have never heard a real Doepfer system in person, but I have A/B'ed it against Reaktor. (And VCV.) ...and... well:

Wow!

:shrug: As you say: I guess it's subjective. We can only trust our own ears.

Duz anyone know wha-tha-hell they're talkin' bout?
There ain't no such thing as the biggest sounding synth

no its not ilok, never had a issu with ilok , it s money, and even if i enjoyed the sound caractere i have been a bit let down by some module like the rubicon that seems really not as as good as the hardware when pushed , and it was breaking with bad sound , stuff i don t hear with reaktor and some of the vcv modules.
i would need to try it again and spend more time with it to be fair i demoed it quickly but money is a issue and i have vcv and so many modules the workflow is so good, it s the best modular software i used by far in term of pleasure of making patchs so i will use that most of the time.

vult stuff also has nice caractere and thickness, i need to try more the vcos but i guess making a patch with vult stuff for the whole audio chain can sound really phat

Kinh wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:52 pm Duz anyone know wha-tha-hell they're talkin' bout?
There ain't no such thing as the biggest sounding synth
maybe but not all are equal ,phat can also be the power of the filter in the low end stuff like that , some synth can resonant very hard on the low end like it will break the speakers some have zero juce here and stuff like that .. i think it depends many things but for sure not all synth are equal, phat is not even a quality to me, i like thin just as much..like a nord lead .. a nord lead saw has the fontamental almost lower tahn the first harmonic in term of volume, give a caractere of tightness and cutting but it s not phat , it can make very tight bassline that don t need much eq if any at all to remove the bottom end but i won t use that for getting a moog bass like from a minitaur

Introspective wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:41 pm No, I have never heard a real Doepfer system in person, but I have A/B'ed it against Reaktor. (And VCV.) ...and... well:

Wow!

:shrug: As you say: I guess it's subjective. We can only trust our own ears.
Absolutely! And to be fair, just because you never heard or don't have a Doepfer, does not guarantee that you won't make better music and become more successful creating music with soft tube than someone with gazillon modular systems but no aspiration.

spire

actually omnisphere.

audiouser720 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:16 pm

I have the opposite opinion but each to their own. I appreciate that these things are subjective. As far as I am concerned nothing matches the sound quality of Reaktor Blocks not to mention the fun factor. And I do own and use real modulars and generally hate plugins, but Reaktor Blocks is really that good.

Softube Modular sounds quite fake - if you have the opportunity to compare it to the real components it’s supposed to emulate. I am not saying it’s bad, but it’s not an accurate model. Whereas Reaktor Blocks does not model anything specific (well, not intentionally apart from Monark blocks) but it does capture the analog feel and sound the best, not to mention the level of control to external devices like your real modular. In my book Realtor Blocks wins in sound quality and functionality, also in GUI and general aesthetics.
it s my impression as well when i demoed softube modular, even the stock bento reaktor blocks sound very solid but i heard great things about softube as well just that i rememver i posted after trying it they should use more oversampling to be on par with reaktor.. well could be wrong but it left me a impression audiorate stuff was not as good but could be wrong.. i would need to demo again and take more time with it.. it s probably a very good software with all the great review.. but i almost stoped using blocks cause of vcv so i see no point to try again softube even if it sound amazing, workflow matter more and i like vcc the best, i just wish vcv develop more and maybe uhe and other companies make us some osc and filters and other cool stuff or some other guys, there is already great stuff but more sound color would be awesome.
but yes reaktor blocks for me is probably the best emulation of analog sound from all time wihtout really beeing a emulation of anything , it sound really solid it has everyhting.. the depth, meat, thickness , 3d ect.. all the attribute to describe great analog sound reaktor have them
Last edited by kobal on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Well, that's the kind of topics KVR loves to hate, discussing elusive and, to an extent, subjective sonic properties of synths and presuming that certain hardware might in certain cases sound better (blasphemy!)

But i think the OP might be onto something, Monark, Diva, Repro on the one end of the spectrum and Pigments, Vital, Dune 3 (if all these layers and effects are stripped down) on the other end... I think there are distinct group of "fat" and, well .... "un-fat" sounding synths and i guess making patches with similar stucture in different synths could prove that.

But it's not like "fat" is always better that the opposite, actually when I listen to modern electornic music, especially the genres supposed to sound loud and agressive, I often hear quite thin leads and basses, but everything has it's own place in a mix, various parts are well balanced against each other and the whole mix sounds loud, clean and transparent - which probably would be harder to acheive if each of these sounds was trying to be the biggest and the fattest.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

yes to me it s really not better, it s just a different sound caractere.. if you want a really phat one osc patch it s easier with a synt that sound like that insteed of using a eq and processing and it might be a real challenge to archive and a lost of time while composing.

stack osc and detuning them can sound really cheesy, their was no such sound or not much in the mid 90s in the music i was lisetning / making , if i want to get some of that caractere and make some of these patchs, detuning many voice are not suited at all, max 2 for stereo. stacking voice wihtout detuning them much sound more phat but not as pure and phase cancellation come into play even more doing weird stuff
Last edited by kobal on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

DELETED
Last edited by audiouser720 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:12 am, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”