Modular software options?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i think toybox for reaktor is my favourite one now, it has easy polyphony which most modulars make a bit of a pain, great sound quality, the poly modules have poly cv inputs unlike voltage modular and the sound quality is better in toybox, it has some great samplers, i didnt like the samplers in vcv, i like doing fm with samples and toybox is great for that
best workflow including polyphony - bitwig grid
best sound quality - softube modular
best of all worlds - toybox

foosnark wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:37 pm Agreed, VCV Rack 2 on both counts -- if you don't need it to run as a VST plugin it's free
I think there is now a free open-source version of VCV called "Cardinal' that runs as a plugin.

https://github.com/DISTRHO/Cardinal

Cardinal and Modulair for the 'price' alone

I'm surprised to not see much about Cherry Audio here. Voltage is a great package with just the included modules, but you can get a bunch more for cheap. Lots of good devs making things for it. And the owners aren't as scummy as VCV Rack who accepted countless hours of open source contributions and then profited from that work by closing up their playground. As a fellow dev who contributed early on, that hurt.

strangersun wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:41 pm I'm surprised to not see much about Cherry Audio here. Voltage is a great package with just the included modules, but you can get a bunch more for cheap. Lots of good devs making things for it. And the owners aren't as scummy as VCV Rack who accepted countless hours of open source contributions and then profited from that work by closing up their playground. As a fellow dev who contributed early on, that hurt.
thats true that is shitty, i guess the devs can make their modules pay-only though?

vm is good, similar to vcv

there is a new one. dv8

update: not a modular but samples modular for kontakt.
Last edited by Sebastiantheseeker on Tue May 10, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism is a cancer of the human mind, as with all authoritarianisms. It opulently gluttonizes the selfish and carelessly starves the meek. It consumes Mother Earth and Humanity unhealthily, currently.

Sebastiantheseeker wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:32 am there is a new one. dv8
it doesnt look modular, i think its basically samples from hardware modular rather than an actual modular synth

That's a sample library for Kontakt.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:53 am
That's a sample library for Kontakt.
good catch... man... the price is too hight then, even on sale.
Capitalism is a cancer of the human mind, as with all authoritarianisms. It opulently gluttonizes the selfish and carelessly starves the meek. It consumes Mother Earth and Humanity unhealthily, currently.

I'm digging the Cardinal Rack. Sigh. I wish I was younger and had more time to learn all there is to know, especially since it comes with, what, 500 modules or something like that? As soon as I get my head wrapped around the modular routing concept, I'll be good to go.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Boy Wonder wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:19 am I'm digging the Cardinal Rack. Sigh. I wish I was younger and had more time to learn all there is to know, especially since it comes with, what, 500 modules or something like that? As soon as I get my head wrapped around the modular routing concept, I'll be good to go.
what do you mean getting your head around the routing?
if you mean how to get a sound going in the first place, its just:
midi cv pitch --> oscillator
oscillator output --> vca
midi cv gate --> envelope
envelope --> vca
vca --> output

i find it helps to learn modular by first trying to make some basic sounds like plucks that you would make with a non modular synth. for this youd also need a filter with an envelope but thats it. recreating standard synth setups can show you that the routing is usually fairly simple for most (mono) synths, and it gives you a starting point. it can help you to remember that even with modular, its often more important to fine tune things than to try to keep adding things and get as complex routing as you can.

other than the initial setup, its not really the sort of thing you can 100% get your head around or learn everything about, its just experimenting with patching things in different ways, using audio as modulators, parallel and serial routing, feedback routing etc, and there are endless combinations of this stuff

Hi j wazza, what I'm specifically perplexed about is how to wire an arpeggiator in Cardinal.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Boy Wonder wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:20 am Hi j wazza, what I'm specifically perplexed about is how to wire an arpeggiator in Cardinal.
As Cardinal is practically a fork of VCV, all the tutorial for VCV and any modular irl system apply here too. YT is a great platform for that.

And to reply to the overwhelming 500+ modules, or 2500+ in VCV:
most of it is redundancy by different makers and you only really need a dozen or so to make a complex system that also sounds nice!

Softube modular sound is the best, for sure. It comes with the basic Doepher modules.
Also, you can get modules from moog, juno and sh101 into the modular, so it's really versatile.
Though, the UI is on a weak side, not very developed.

Surprised nobody mentioned Plogue's Bidule - I've heard some good things about it, though not used it myself. Anyone still using it regularly/have experience of it?

Return to “Modular Synthesis”