Xfer OTT - alternatives?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FapFilter wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:11 pm It actually is a simplified compressor, or better: an emulation of the name giving preset of Ableton‘s MB comp

But indeed, simultaneous up- and downward compression in one single instance of a plugin is actually quite rare
So does Ableton Multiband Dynamics (on OTT preset) do everything that OTT does?

I‘m one of the few individuals on this planet who never tried Live for more than a few minutes (other than for general gut feeling of that thing vs Project 5 v2 back in the day, but that‘s a different story), but id be pretty surprised if it didn‘t offer more functionality like selectable band split points and more stuff regarding individual ratios and attack/release times, etc.

As i‘ve said: OTT is just one preset which obviously impressed enough people, even Duda himself. It‘s just not the full compressor
Though i‘m of course not sure how close they actually sound and if some purist audiophiles :hihi: swear by one or the other. Duda‘s intention - at least if i‘m not mistaken - has been to make an as exact replication of that preset as possible
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

I believe the OTT is included in Serum's effect rack, so for those owning Serum, they can use the FX version of Serum to create an FX chain including OTT.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

i don't understand, if you like the plugin, why are you already looking for an alternative?

Also
https://audioplugin.deals/kill-the-top- ... oundspear/

"Kill The Top (KTT) is an improvement to the legendary OTT (Over The Top) compressor. By doubling the frequency bands and including a chained exciter, KTT is even more aggressive while providing more control."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjylhujaKgo

No affiliation.

OTT is also phase destroyer (at bands crossovers). It could be called "phase distortion unit" ;)

From one hand, it makes it hard to believe that any serious mastering engineer would use such thing, but from the other, I saw mastering engineer who is doing masters for eg3. Ministry of Sound who was using Live's Multi and compressor (which most likely also have no mercy for the phase).

You have an OTT style compressor in Cubase. And you can use Waves Maxxvolume in their multiband host, just like kHs Multipass.

noddog wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:42 pm
FapFilter wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:11 pm It actually is a simplified compressor, or better: an emulation of the name giving preset of Ableton‘s MB comp

But indeed, simultaneous up- and downward compression in one single instance of a plugin is actually quite rare
So does Ableton Multiband Dynamics (on OTT preset) do everything that OTT does?
As nobody answered: Yes!

Xfer OTT is nothing else than putting the settings of the Ableton OTT preset into a VST to make it available to all users...not just Ableton ones...

It´s in general a bit weird that in the 15 years before MO-TT nobody else jumped on this waggon as OTT is actually genius...
It´s for me a big surprise too that there are millions of downward compressors but just a few being able to upward compress which is often more usefull... crazy world!

https://aberrantdsp.com/plugins/shapeshifter/

will do some OTTish things. I love it.

UrsaDsp boost can get similar results as well.

Combining Oxford inflator/waveshapers/stacking expanders/compressors and saturators with multiband can do it too. Experiment! it's fun to destroy dynamics.

Each Multiband-Compressor with upward-compression should be able to deliver similar results, e.g. Fabfilter Pro-MB, DMG Audio Multiplicity or Melda MDynamicsMB. But of course you have more detailed control, what means you have to find the „sweet spot“ then.

Why not just use OTT? If you want to have the same thing with a different name, you could try re-naming it in your DAW.

Biome_Digital wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:36 am Why not just use OTT? If you want to have the same thing with a different name, you could try re-naming it in your DAW.
Was looking for something with resizable gui :/
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Also a fully featured MB comp like the original MB Dynamics offer wouldn‘t be bad for more fine tuning for people who are not having a Live (license :P )
Last edited by FapFilter on Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

SamDi wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:31 am Each Multiband-Compressor with upward-compression should be able to deliver similar results, e.g. Fabfilter Pro-MB, DMG Audio Multiplicity or Melda MDynamicsMB. But of course you have more detailed control, what means you have to find the „sweet spot“ then.
No...
Every Multiband compressor would need to have both available at the same time on each band... downward and upward compression... and that´s very rare...

It´s called OTT for a special reason: The signal gets pushed down and up at the same time...

Return to “Effects”