Understanding Bazille

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In deciding whether or not to invest in Bazille I'm trying to learn how it works since being able to use it to its fullest is important. Even if I don't end up using gonzo wubs! :D

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of good tutorial stuff out there and the instruction manual isn't very good at explaining how certain things work.

How does the sequencer work, specifically the dial. I have no idea how that works.
Ditto for the map generators. I get the purpose, but again I have no idea how to go about drawing a pattern.
What is the purpose of the CV inputs and what would I do with them?

I've been trying to understand more by examining some of the presets I like. For example, Pacific Spray (pad) has some lovely modulation. Unfortunately untangling the intense cabling isn't helping. I cannot decipher what is causing that modulation.

Help is appreciated, thanks.

Check out the Bazille Cookbook. The PDF with the breakdown of the patches (i.e. tutorials) is free. Might give you a good idea of how to get Bazille working.

Hi gw,

could you clarify which element you wanted to examine specifically? That gurgly part? Or were you referring to something else, perhaps that modulation that you add by turning up the modwheel or any other of the performance controls? I'm sure I could help, and others too, but can you point us to the aspect of that presets you'd like to take a closer look at?

Viktor

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:06 pm Check out the Bazille Cookbook. The PDF with the breakdown of the patches (i.e. tutorials) is free. Might give you a good idea of how to get Bazille working.
I don't yet own Brazille nor do I have the cookbook, so theres' no point paying for the latter before the former

Viktor [TUC] wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:16 pm Hi gw,

could you clarify which element you wanted to examine specifically? That gurgly part? Or were you referring to something else, perhaps that modulation that you add by turning up the modwheel or any other of the performance controls? I'm sure I could help, and others too, but can you point us to the aspect of that presets you'd like to take a closer look at?

Viktor
The gurgly part, if I follow you correctly. The audible modulation that's omnipresent regardless of the use of the mod wheel.

ghostwhistler wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:47 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:06 pm Check out the Bazille Cookbook. The PDF with the breakdown of the patches (i.e. tutorials) is free. Might give you a good idea of how to get Bazille working.
I don't yet own Brazille nor do I have the cookbook, so theres' no point paying for the latter before the former
You missed the word free in my sentence. You can't hear the patches obviously, but the PDF contains a wealth of knowledge and is freely available. They think if you'll read the PDF, you'll want the synth.

Here's the direct link: https://dl.u-he.com/manuals/soundsets/b ... ReadMe.pdf

Start giving it a read. I think you'll find it's very informative and costs nothing.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:57 pm
You missed the word free in my sentence. You can't hear the patches obviously, but the PDF contains a wealth of knowledge and is freely available. They think if you'll read the PDF, you'll want the synth.

Start giving it a read. I think you'll find it's very informative and costs nothing.
Thanks, but it refers to a tutorial folder I do not have

Hey gw,

so about that patch and the modulating part, here's how I'd approach it:
Turn off all FX first, then in all the envelopes turn down attack and release times. Now things are a bit clearer to hear, no overlapping notes muddying everything.
To find the source of that gargly bit, it's important to find what creates that quick oscillating movement. Your first ports of call with such oscillating movements should be the LFOs, followed by the oscillators. So, check both LFOs and turn their Rate knobs, see if one of them affects that part of the sound. You'll find that LFO2 Rate does affect the speed of it.
Now things look a lot simpler since instead of checking all cables in that patch, you only have to follow the three cables that lead away from LFO2.
A possible next step would be to remove the cables one after the other, see at which point that modulating part stops. Remove a cable by following it to its endpoint (grey jack, not red one), then click the cable end and drag it away from the input to an empty GUI area.
You'll find that removing the cable that leads to a filter modulation input also remove that gargly sound.
There you have it. The filter does it, well, the turned up resonance does it, and LFO2 controls its speed.

Hope that helps.

Viktor

try bazille cm before you get bazille, its free with cm magazine and you can do a lot with it, especially if you use the lfos as oscillators and your daw has lfos that you can use for actual lfos, that way you get 4 oscillators which is usually enough, especially as its poly and you can use the voice stacking to add more

j wazza wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:32 pm try bazille cm before you get bazille, its free with cm magazine and you can do a lot with it, especially if you use the lfos as oscillators and your daw has lfos that you can use for actual lfos, that way you get 4 oscillators which is usually enough, especially as its poly and you can use the voice stacking to add more
Thanks, but where would I find that and is it still available?

I have the demo version which is fully functioning except for some occasional crackle (dliberate of course).

ghostwhistler wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:05 pm
j wazza wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:32 pm try bazille cm before you get bazille, its free with cm magazine and you can do a lot with it, especially if you use the lfos as oscillators and your daw has lfos that you can use for actual lfos, that way you get 4 oscillators which is usually enough, especially as its poly and you can use the voice stacking to add more

I have the demo version which is fully functioning except for some occasional crackle (dliberate of course).
https://www.zinio.com/gb/computer-music ... 22-i535149

or google computer music read online, buy a copy then go on filesilo and you can download the free plugins, theres loads of them

j wazza wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:08 pm

https://www.zinio.com/gb/computer-music ... 22-i535149

or google computer music read online, buy a copy then go on filesilo and you can download the free plugins, theres loads of them
Thank you.

I'm sure there are loads of equally lovely goodies if you subscribe, but I can't afford that right now

ghostwhistler wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:13 pm
Thank you.

I'm sure there are loads of equally lovely goodies if you subscribe, but I can't afford that right now
you just need to buy it once for a few pound and then you get loads of plugins including bazille

there is also some stuff that comes just with a single issue, i bought another one so i could get some break samples etc, but you dont need to subscribe

Exactly... Just stick to the Bazille demo version... it takes a little time to understand cause it is different from most synths... but it is well worth it! Bazille is one of the best synths ever made!

ghostwhistler wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:23 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:57 pm

Thanks, but it refers to a tutorial folder I do not have
Still a worthy read. i read it and i don't even have Bazille (yet)
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “u-he”