Snake Oil Video on Presswerk

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been watching these videos for a long time. I knew he would just lose his mind when he tried the Auto-Gain. It was so funny to see that when he is trying to figure out if plugins are just over promising and talking non-sense he was clearly blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVbiuJn0wU

I only use Presswerk and UnfilterAudio Zip for all my compression. I don't understand why people buy 30 different ones. Also, the old emulators are also so crazy because if you ever use any of these original units each one was VERY different. A compressor from the 60s and 70s would have to change the parts due to supply shortages or cost changes and they would have a very different character.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

I find him very irritating when he rants against a plugin just because he doesn't understand how it works and stubbornly refuses to check manuals and documentation in general. Not all plugins are meant to be ... erm... plug'n'play; some need time and focus to study them and use their real potential. It's a bit like entering a car and venting because he can't even turn it on...

- Mario

Since I watched that snakeoil guy's review of Presswerk, I just retried the demo and am quite impressed. Just found out that with the nonlinearity knob, I can achieve the exact upwards compression type I was looking for. Not sure if this knob was already there in the early preview version? Not so sure about the transients while using very low attack and longer release + knee... I simply do not understand it yet fully. It looks like a really decent compressor to me.

Damn, now I want a t-shirt...

mabian wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:16 am I find him very irritating when he rants against a plugin just because he doesn't understand how it works and stubbornly refuses to check manuals and documentation in general. Not all plugins are meant to be ... erm... plug'n'play; some need time and focus to study them and use their real potential. It's a bit like entering a car and venting because he can't even turn it on...

- Mario
I think his opinions for UI is spot on. Why are we using physical UI on a digital UI that we can only use one hand on? Why are we emulating the old and not taking advantage of the new? Plugins are time savers for the most part if you take the time you can get the same sound with basic tools so why make things overly complex? UI should get in our way.

I think people who grew up using physical compressors find these digital ones are horrible to use. Back in the day, you threw two hands on the knobs and a pinky even and got a sound in 5 seconds. The software ones take a minute at least. Presswerk was the first software compressor that didn't make me scream inside. I can get a sound I am wanting in 5 to 10 seconds flat.

The only thing I don't like about his videos are the clickbait thumbnails and words that are the opposite of what he says. I knew that the second he touched Presswerk he would love it and it was so funny to see him not see the autogain button and the second he did and tried it he had found nivana.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Love Presswerk ... this and Satin is how I became a U-he customer. It's one of a few indispensable plugins to me. Each mode has something valuable to offer too and none of these modes I'd consider a gimmick, nor half-ass. Great plugin.

Agreed about UI "knobs" and mouse/keyboard. Unfortunately, that's where we'll be for a while.
That said, I always feel like plugins take up too much screen space and could be laid out better for size efficiency and legibility. I prefer the mini-max approach/look. But whatever, it's firstly about how it sounds, so ...

mabian wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:16 am I find him very irritating when he rants against a plugin just because he doesn't understand how it works and stubbornly refuses to check manuals and documentation in general. Not all plugins are meant to be ... erm... plug'n'play; some need time and focus to study them and use their real potential. It's a bit like entering a car and venting because he can't even turn it on...

- Mario
Sometimes it is annoying, but I think his style of video is more "first impression" than a full review. He's not gonna check the manual in the video (or before it) cause that might cheapen his raw reaction to what's on show. I can understand what you're saying though, as occasionally it has been a little frustrating when he berates a plugin for a problem it might not have.
i can't really make music

The Snakeoil guy cracks me up in a good way very often. I don't use Presswerk on 100% of my compressing/limiting; probably use it 90+% of the time relative to other compressor plugins. Generally speaking, it is my go-to compressor. The more I use it, the better I get with it. And I have tried many compressor/limiter plugins.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:35 am Since I watched that snakeoil guy's review of Presswerk, I just retried the demo and am quite impressed. Just found out that with the nonlinearity knob, I can achieve the exact upwards compression type I was looking for. Not sure if this knob was already there in the early preview version? Not so sure about the transients while using very low attack and longer release + knee... I simply do not understand it yet fully. It looks like a really decent compressor to me.
That's not what upward compression is.
You can't really do upward compression with Presswerk.
Upward compression is making quiet parts louder. Uhbik-C has sort of upward compression.

Since i love presswerk and use it often i'll do a shameless plug for my (free) skin here as well:
https://u-he.com/PatchLib/skins/Ploki-p ... _nitro.zip
https://u-he.com/PatchLib/skins.html

It does away with dead space and re-arranges the controls in what i feel makes more sense when mixing. It also allows to change dual-mono controls without switching pages (the 2nd channel indicators are clickable and draggable)

check the preset "Cabrio drums" for buss drum processing. It adds a chunky meaty sound to any drums.
Happy to see presswerk get some love

Return to “u-he”