Tiny bit of advice on event ordering please.

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of my first week with Architect and having great fun. I made the mistake of trying to do some very complicated structures straight away and of course nothing worked. So I'm going back to basics to work out the event/setup flow. I am understanding it a lot better, but still confused by a few things...

Why does this happen?:
Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 11.01.14.png
I get that the print statements are both after the "SECOND" data in the event order, but surely the left print is before the right one... I also see that this might be a good time to use an order module, but I just wanted to find out what I am misunderstanding...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is it because all chains of event SOURCES are dealt with first?

You can visualise event orders by switching them on in the options at the top-right of the graph view. That may help clarify things somewhat.

Events travel in a depth-first fashion. The event that comes out of "FIRST" will go to the next module in event order, which is defined as top-to-bottom, left-to-right*. In this case, it will be the "SECOND" module. This will then send an event to the right-hand [print]. As the [print] has no further outputs, our depth-first traversal is completed and Architect will go back "up" the event tree to find the next target. In this case, it'll be the second receive of the "FIRST" event, i.e., the left-hand [print].

* To clarify: if module A is above module B (and by "above" I mean it's y co-ordinate in the graph), it is considered to be before B. If both modules have the same y co-ordinate, then the left-most one is considered first.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thanks Colin - I'm getting there! I get it now. I feel like a bit of a numbskull actually - as I feel like I understood this already at the beginning of the week - oh well!

Always happy to help, Bob!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

In my experience, it helps a lot having a print module at hand to test a patch as you go. Countless times I've solved "issues" moving the modules around.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Thanks, nilhartman - yes my graphs are littered with them! And it really helps.

Return to “Loomer”