Unstable CPU usage with multicore Diva / Repro on M1 Pro

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I'm currently running into CPU issues on a brand new 14" MBP M1 Pro with Diva and Repro, on Monterey 12.3. After a fresh install of Ableton and u-he plugins, when enabling multicore in the plugin the CPU usage spikes and jumps around a lot and outputs harsh digital clipping and dropouts. This is happening across all buffer sizes, VST2 and VST3. In single core mode the plugins are stable. When running the same setup on my 2020 i7 iMac, multicore more than halves my CPU usage and is very stable.

Any help appreciated, thank you!

Multicore is not always recommended and it's a hit and miss depending on many factors.

Just turn it off if it doesn't work on your system.

Thanks - after some further digging I see u-he don't currently recommend using MC on M1's. I've stress tested the system and the performance of single core u-he synths when native is fantastic anyway.

Our multi core feature is optimized for Intel processors.
Although it works on the M1 processors, it's currently not as efficient as on Intel machines.
So far we found that there are only very few scenarios in which multi core would be needed on an M1.

One scenario would be if you run at very high sample rates with very small buffer sizes, use high quality settings in Diva and play all available voices with long release times.

In such a scenario, it can still be beneficial to overall performance to activate Diva's multi core button for this particular instance of Diva.

The general rule for the multi core button on Apple's awesome Silicon machines is:

No need for the multi core button in most situations, as host and system can handle the load easily.
Only activate it selectively for particular, CPU intense instances that play lots of voices with high quality settings.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Thanks for the info tasmaniandevil, appreciate it!

Return to “u-he”