One Synth Challenge #158: Surrealistic MG-1 Plus by Cherry Audio (MilksterX Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surrealistic MG-1 Plus Synthesizer

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... llenge-158

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #158! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Formerly a commercial synth, this beautiful vintage beast is now freeware!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azILHiWceJ4

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact RichardSemper via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): FXB Project, or JRR Shop (Uncle E)

NEW Additional Bonus Prize!
For the first Single Instance entry to make the top 5 a cash bonus of $50. (note: this prize may be carried forward to selected OSC challenges until it is won)

Chery Audio : Many prize choices! See Richard's post here for details!

discoDSP : 1 copy of Discovery (Up to 2 winners may choose this)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

ChordPak.com : 1x Pro Pack (Up to 3 winners may choose this)

United Audio Artists : Scratch Master Pro (2 may be chosen per month)

Yuli Yolo Sound Design : (Top 3 Winners get this) Soundsets for Vital: Diversity, Bass Music Wavetables, Noises & Exciters

Luftrum : Two Choices: Either 1x NFR software license of either Bioscape or Lunaris, or two soundsets of choice

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

SoundGym : *NEW* 12 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

Newloops.com : any 3 sound packs of choice (excluding bundles)

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice (except for the Future Chill and Space Trips expansions)

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions - Developers may be looking for artists to make music.
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing.
  • metapop - Has many competitions, with a soundcloud like interface where you can share, upload, get likes, comments, etc.
  • Mix Challenge - Join monthly recurring Songwriting Competitions (with a new theme/genre every month) and/or Mix(ing) Challenges (mixing multi-tracks from scratch). Win prizes!
  • Open Source Music Nexus Challenge - From the people who brought you the FM Challenge last year!
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
Last edited by bjporter on Mon May 16, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Beautiful! :D
Fusion

Edit: Enough of that.
Last edited by empphryio on Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

There is an issue with our OSC site links above. Google safe browsing seems to be intercepting the links and going to a 'safe browsing' page to inform the user that the site is safe, but not offering a way to get there! (Update - you can paste the link address shown on that safe browsing page into your browser to get there)
e.g.
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules

So here are some useful links for this challenge:

To download the synth:
https://cherryaudio.com/products/surrealistic-mg-1-plus

So, the only unpleasant moment of this round is that everyone has to create a Cherry Audio account for the sake of their free synthesizer, it's not great. Well, I already went through this for the sake of Voltage Modular Free (which I later deleted), maybe it will even be possible to recover the password. But it's still a strange and presumptuous distribution strategy, it seems to me...

IV! wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:38 pm So, the only unpleasant moment of this round is that everyone has to create a Cherry Audio account for the sake of their free synthesizer, it's not great. Well, I already went through this for the sake of Voltage Modular Free (which I later deleted)
:dog: :D
You described exactly my situation. Had to ask for a password reset to get the little bugger. I already converted some of last months work in progress from FB-7999 to the MG1. At the moment this feels like a big step down. Let's see if there is anything hidden under its hood. :?

I'm having an issue when the LFO is ext sync mode, even when Logic is stopped, it continues to send sync, which in turn is triggering the LFO, which is triggering a note. Could be a logic setting that I can't find (I'm seeking advice on that) but I've never encountered this behavior on another synth when syncing lfo rate to the DAW. Does this happen with other DAW's?

IV! wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:38 pm So, the only unpleasant moment of this round is that everyone has to create a Cherry Audio account for the sake of their free synthesizer, it's not great. Well, I already went through this for the sake of Voltage Modular Free (which I later deleted), maybe it will even be possible to recover the password. But it's still a strange and presumptuous distribution strategy, it seems to me...
I will be deleting and uninstalling and requesting account wipe after this month's round, if I decide to enter at all, just because of the way this was handled.

Not only the fact that I had to create an account, but I also had to input my credentials inside my DAW when I first loaded the plugin. I don't enjoy sharing my credentials to unsecured forms that go who-knows-where.
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

cdbaksu wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:54 pm
IV! wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:38 pm So, the only unpleasant moment of this round is that everyone has to create a Cherry Audio account for the sake of their free synthesizer, it's not great.
I will be deleting and uninstalling and requesting account wipe after this month's round, if I decide to enter at all, just because of the way this was handled.
Not having an entry by #1 OSC jazz-fusion virtuoso cdbaksu this month because of this
- is a loss for us all… :scared:

Since I happen to have some Cherry Audio stuff I recently bought I'm ok with the user account thing - but I do understand you guys fully regarding this!

I will now also complain a little about something else haha :wink:

Why no commercial effects this month…?
That would really spice up things for me
(read: Bleass Phase Mutant) - such a great effect!
Fusion

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:13 pm Why no commercial effects this month…?
This wouldn't be allowed even in a commercial effects month, unless other rules about types of effects allowed were also relaxed.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

FrogsInPants wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:35 pm
Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:13 pm Why no commercial effects this month…?
This wouldn't be allowed even in a commercial effects month, unless other rules about types of effects allowed were also relaxed.
So true, :tu: I almost wrote ”even if there was a free equivalent to Phase Mutant, I'm not sure even that would be allowed” So you just confirmed what I already suspected 8)

On to something more important:
Are you entering this month with your wonderful and relaxing nature music? :love:
There's a ”Birds” preset… ;)
Fusion

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:48 pm On to something more important:
Are you entering this month with your wonderful and relaxing nature music? :love:
There's a ”Birds” preset… ;)
Is there? I haven't really explored the presets. I'm not really working on nature sounds with this one. But I am working on something. And I did make a sort of bird patch, but it's pretty bad and I don't expect to use it. Maybe I'll come up with something better, though. Who knows?
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Couldn't find an ADSR so far...?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:58 am Couldn't find an ADSR so far...?
Here you are:

https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... ur-section

:tu:

I wasn't sure I was going to participate this month but after listening to some of the demos on Cherry Audio's website, as well as empphryio's tune, I'm feeling pretty inspired. I might come up with something. We will see.

Return to “Instruments”