PaulXStretch - has an update....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PaulXStretch

Trancit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:41 am Thx very much!
And especially for integrating clap!
Clap greyed out installing on M1 Mac - not available to install

CinningBao wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:09 am Commendable work! It's definitely more stable than the last xenakios release. And a fine selection of additional features!

Can I ask, though, that you please consider the following:
- conversion of FFT size in samples to seconds in decimal (so the user can get a realistic idea of the window size)
- are you able to describe exactly what the 'Onset Detection' function does? I think some users thought it was to reset the phases when a transient was detected but that seems unlikely. It is interrupting the 'flow' of the stretching algo; at 0 rhythms sound constant, but at 1 the stretch is slowed as if it's trying to fit more sound in between 'onset detections'? it's quite mysterious.
- can we have a switch to change between frequency & MIDI note for the Harmonics function? a MIDI note learn would also be very cool.
Good idea to show FFT window size in seconds.

The best description of the Onset feature I can find is here:
http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/
The onset sensitivity specifies how sensitive is the stretching to onsets. The leftmost position represents "ignore all onsets", while the rightmost is very sensitive to onset (and might get many false positives). When an onset is detected the stretching is disabled for that window, making the onset to start fast even on very long stretches.
Also a good idea to use display the harmonic frequency in terms of musical note, and even better idea to make using incoming MIDI note (with pitchbend too) to set it!

In something somewhat unrelated, Xenakios was testing a midi note mode for controlling the pitch offset parameter in realtime (along with an ADSR envelope) but I don't think it ended up being too usable for actual performance due to the large lag involved with the algorithm. But adding that back in as an option as well to enable could be interesting too.
Sonosaurus LLC - Developer of SooperLooper, SonoBus, ThumbJam, DrumJam, TonalEnergy Tuner

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:32 pm
It isn't grayed out for me here, just not selected by default (that was intentional). You should be able to select the checkbox...
Sonosaurus LLC - Developer of SooperLooper, SonoBus, ThumbJam, DrumJam, TonalEnergy Tuner

essejlc wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:36 pm
It isn't grayed out for me here, just not selected by default (that was intentional). You should be able to select the checkbox...
I can’t tick the check box - it is grayed out.
I can see it but can’t select it.
What DAW are you using?

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:02 pm
essejlc wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:36 pm
I can’t tick the check box - it is grayed out.
I can see it but can’t select it.
What DAW are you using?
Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing in the installer there?

Is there no way to save/load settings on the most recent PC standalone version? If not, would it be possible? It is currently possible on the iOS version, so I was hoping I could use saved .pxs files from my iPad on my computer.

I still haven’t released that version for desktop yet, was having some issues on windows I still haven’t resolved. Thanks for the reminder kick!

essejlc wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:37 am I still haven’t released that version for desktop yet, was having some issues on windows I still haven’t resolved. Thanks for the reminder kick!
OK. Thanks.
I'm relieved to know it's not right there and I'm just not seeing it.
If you ever need anyone to test the Windows version, I've been addicted to various versions since 2007 and am always happy to have a reason to play with it.

essejlc wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:22 pm
Kreisbed wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:15 pm I love the idea of PaulXStretch, but getting the current version to work in the current version of Logic Pro is a bit frustrating. I can't seem to get it to easily and reliably export/record the audio to a track. I've tried some of the ideas I've seen online about bouncing in place, but that doesn't seem to consistently work. Perhaps a step by step direction would be helpful. Below the word "Waveform" there seems to be a filename - in my current experiment it is pxs_2022-06-15_12.25.35.wav. I can't seem to find any file with that name.

Anyway, I figured out a workaround that works every time. It is not particularly elegant, but it works. I run Audio Hijack Pro and configure it to record that audio from Logic Pro x (I can choose various file formats) and then drag the recorded file back into Logic Pro X.

It would be great if the app had a similar export function or, better yet, select and copy the waveform. Until that time, Audio Hijack Pro is an easy enough solution.

Also, I see how the standalone version can use recorded files to stretch them, but I don't see how it allows you to record while playing live. I set the audio input to my audio interface. The meters in the app next to my input choice show that it is receiving sound from the synth. The button in the app to pass through volume is set, but there is no sound that comes through the app and nothing is recorded. Any help would be appreciated.

iMac (Retina 4k, 21.5-inch, 2019)
macOS Monterey v. 12.4
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
PaulXStretch 1.5.3
I'll be releasing a new version soon that address most of these issues! The new version will have the offline render feature from the standalone in the plugin as well, and both will also have a new live output record feature that will record anything going on (so that live tweaks to parameters can be recorded to file right from the app). The location of all recordings will also be settable in the options, so you can find them much easier. Also, it fixes the bug you discovered with the no-sound issue.
Hi, I seem to also be having an issue with Logic Pro X on Mac Monterey. I can open the plug in and record audio into it. I can also render that recorded audio to my files and then open a new track with and import that rendered audio file fine too. However, I can't preview/play the rendered audio in the plug-in/pop-up window - pressing play has no effect and no audio plays. Is this expected? I can do this fine in the stand alone desktop version.

This is another bug that needs to be tracked down... to get it working all you should need to do (once, after startup) is toggle off-then-on of the Stretch enable button ("power" button next to stretch amount). That will usually wake it up...

Ah, afraid this doesn't work :(

If it helps, I'm on Monterey 12.4 on MacBook M1 Pro 2021. Version 10.7.7 on Logic Pro X.

▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒░░▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒░░▒▒▓▓▒▒░░▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▓▓░░▒▒░░░░░░▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒
Last edited by noiseresearch on Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Hello, I got the version from github yesterday, compiled it without problems on Xubuntu 22.04 and ran it in Bitwig 4.4.10. I use all default options. I use the monitoring option to hear the synth before and during recording. I record 10 seconds. It records fine. PXS also renders just fine. The problem is that it will not play. At best the vertical bar on the sampled waveform will quickly jump to a location near the start and stops there.

I also got the Windows version and tried it under the Windows plugin setup I use (yabridge, wine) and the same problem is found.

Have you seen such a problem ?

pxsproblem.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I have this problem. Is the plug-in still actively developed?

Hello is there a way to automate the parameters wheter in standalone or plugin version?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”