Pressure, that Reason Studios update Reason's workflow & sequencer

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Calm down guys & back to topic please, NI on other threads.

apoclypse wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:32 pm
jens wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:14 pm But how exactly do you know how many of those complaining "buy Komplete every year, and fall all over themselves when NI releases a new shiny light up"?
Again observation and experience. If I'm on the NI or GS forums and I see people complaining about NI and how much they suck then a month later they are asking how do they download the latest version of Kontakt that they just bought or how to activate Maschine it doesn't take a genius to know that maybe that person did not vote with their wallet. If NI sucks don't buy their product it's really that simple.

Not sure what you are trying to do with your pedantry here. What is the point you are trying make?

Fair enough, I guess...

but it's not pedantry - my point was (obviously enough, I would think) , that it is perfectly possible that you see ten people complaining, while at the same time ten others happily purchase whatever is offered to them, i.e. I would think it is quite hard to estimate how many of those who complain can be found amongst those who maybe indeed frivolously open their wallet as soon as something new can be had from the company they just complained about.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

LaLivre wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:34 pm Calm down guys & back to topic please, NI on other threads.
Calm down? Huh - wrong thread?

Are you a new mod btw? I don't know you.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I personally think it's more useful to discuss what specific improvements we'd like to see. The post about what features you cant use in reason plug-in was informative.
I'd like to see the bug squashed which makes you lose your place in the timeline when switching between arrange mode and the edit modes . It's really confusing and could be easily fixed I would imagine.
I'd like to see an option in the midi tools section to add a humanize function - giving tiny variations in micro-timing. Lose the machine gun Midi ! I hear ableton has an extract groove from audio feature which would also go a long way here.
I dont use other DAW's but I'd like to know what they have that reason lacks - anything to make the sequencer workflow easier is definitely needed.

I imagine some sort of configurable zoom levels that could be easily toggled- so you could instantly switch from a user-defined zoomed out view to an up-close zoomed in view showing a bar or 2. You could just toggle a hotkey to switch between the two constantly. You'd only need one button or hotkey to toggle between two views. Maybe other DAW's have this? I only use reason these days.

Yes, I agree, it is sensible to actually list stuff. Generally speaking, I think Reason is a great DAW with a great sequenzer that does a lot of things right. For me it's mainly just a few little things that really could use some improvement - the following list is not exhaustive at all - itßs just what is at the top of my head right now I might make another one later:

- when you do a search in the browser, as soon as you drag and drop something, the browser is reset. I find that annoying as hell. Or has this actually been fixed for V12?

- I use the Rack as a seperate window. Often, but not always (I am not quite sure as to when exactly this happens) when closing a plugin window, the whole rack window get's minimized - again annoying as hell.

- when doing loop/take-recording, whenever you stop this, there is a cut marker created at this exact point in the loop. This makes absolutely zero sense. As soon as you stop it a moment too late, the last unfinished take-snippet even gets automatically selected. Thsi again makes no sense. I don't assume whoever coded this ever did any serious audio-recoding himself. It is that useless a function. So annoying.

- when comping, automatically both newly created cut markers get selected so when you want to quickly move one, both move at once - happens to me all the time. I just can't get used to having to click the one I want to move twice before doing so. Annoying! Please make it at the very least optional. But then again it makes little musical sense as it is for most scenarios. When comping, you normally select the part you want to replace with another take, then finetune both start and end of the cut INDIVIDUALLY. Get that Propellerheads? :dog: Jesus, that is really so dumb.

These are the little things they could probably sort out in a day or so if they cared about improving the DAW at all. Here's what would take them a bit longer:

- slip editing pretty please! :help: It's so annoying to not actually have one continous recording but instead a new independent snippet for each take. Even though Reason is not the only DAW from the last millenium which is guilty of that stupid crap, there should be a law against it in 2022. It's killing musicality, like seriously. I could explain, but then again: if I have to you probably wouldn't understand anyway. :hihi:

- MIDI take-recording!!! More proof that the Props do not really care much. It's not that they are all so good that they can record everything they come up with in the first take - you can't sell me that! It's because they quantize and edit the living crap out of everything they may record afterwards anyway, so they do not want to waste time recording another take. As with my previous point, it is in my opinion stuff such as this that makes music flat and lifeless. :razz:
Personally I like to make music that breathes. You makes your quantized-to-death stuff all you like, but don't get in my f**king way if that for some reason (no pun intended) isn't good enough for me. As a result of Reason's pathetic state of MIDI-recording capabilities, I usually record even virtual instruments directly to audio - I kid you not. Unbelievably annoying.

- Lanes for MIDI are a nice feature, but why does it not exist for audio-tracks?

- Folder-tracks

- track-based automation, or at least improvements to the clip based one to make it less of a pain to use for anything that is longer than eight bars.

in preferences uncheck 'New Devices get browser focus' which seems to help with the browser i think although even that's a bit confusing...

Obviously instrument freeze would be handy. Also the option to turn a clip into a loop that could just drag across to repeat seems like a no-brainer..

At the moment Reason can't handle MDI plug-ins, that need to be addressed.

hotmitts wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:17 pm in preferences uncheck 'New Devices get browser focus' which seems to help with the browser i think although even that's a bit confusing...
Oh, wow - in German it seems to be called entirely different, but I think I found it ("browser automatically shows patches for new devices") and this indeed appears to do the trick - great!

Thank you very much! I don't think I would have ever found this. :hail:

hotmitts wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:17 pm Also the option to turn a clip into a loop that could just drag across to repeat seems like a no-brainer..
Yes, and ghost-clips (for both MIDI and audio... )

No one put more "pressure" on them than when I spearheaded the "Reason needs to DAW" campaign a couple years back.

The community you're asking to rally is the same community who sat back and did the opposite, instead opting to appease and excuse Props as usual, heaping undeserved praise. Of course they were comprised primarily of a few voracious voices who have since gone sour and virtually silent once Props went all-in on the rack.

There's only a few 'ripe' times to make an impactful effort in hope for meaningful results, and Reason's "need to DAW" time is long gone. I made the necessary changes to ditch Reason's DAW eventually, and am in a far better (by miles) place than when I tried to keep Reason as my main DAW... however I did my best to help guide the "Daw" focus when the time was right.
Have you tried Vital?

You are so full of yourself, barely anyone would ever voluntarily agree on much of anything you might ever say. Even assuming there should be the 10 or 20 % of what you say that would be spot on in some way, the rest of your posts by far outweighed that.

"spearheaded the "Reason needs to DAW" campaign" - that might be the most conceited, pompous and boastful thing I read in my whole life.

jens wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:35 pm You are so full of yourself, barely anyone would ever voluntarily agree on much of anything you might ever say. Even assuming there should be the 10 or 20 % of what you say that would be spot on in some way, the rest of your posts by far outweighed that.

"spearheaded the "Reason needs to DAW" campaign" - that might be the most conceited, pompous and boastful thing I read in my whole life.
Says one of the sour voracious voices.
Have you tried Vital?

'New Devices get browser focus'
I would never have found that either and would be very frustrating, especially if the added plugin had no patches and having to switch back to instrument view. ^_^b
Glad I decided to read the forums while waiting for 11 to scan plugins...

Psuper wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:21 pm they were comprised primarily of a few voracious voices who have since gone sour and virtually silent \
Perhaps you could do us all a favor and join them in their sour silence :clap:

mholloway wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:09 am
Psuper wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:21 pm they were comprised primarily of a few voracious voices who have since gone sour and virtually silent \
Perhaps you could do us all a favor and join them in their sour silence :clap:
^ Another easily-identified sour do-nothing rises!

I am usually quite silent, let you all pratter on endlessly bickering about nothing.

However it's obvious why you two (and a few more who might still pop their dead-weight heads in just to insult) are angry at yourselves because I pointed out to the OP that the time has passed and I did my utmost to enact meaningful changes to Reason's DAW.... while you sat back getting browner noses and nothing to show for it.
Have you tried Vital?

Deleted
Last edited by LaLivre on Tue May 10, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”