Neural Amp Modeler NAM amp capture/profile player FREE *December 14, 2023 update 0.7.7

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ladron wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:53 pm From this look inside the IK Multimedia TONEX pedal, it looks like it is running on pretty modest hardware (Arm Cortex M7):

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... e.2443517/

This would imply that playback of models like NAM should be able to run pretty efficiently.
:hyper: :o :o :o

Woah dude, you got it running on a Pi pedal? That’s you right?

https://youtu.be/2I_bxxzQs2s

metalifuxx wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:14 pm Woah dude, you got it running on a Pi pedal? That’s you right?
Yep. I've been working on optimizing the NAM playback code (some of the improvements are in the latest NAM plugin) with the goal of getting it running on devices like the Pi. Right now it can only handle "feather" models (the least expensive of the three choices when training NAM). I'm hopeful we'll be able to get further performance improvements, though.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
@ladron Very cool running NAM on the Rpi4! You might look into using RTNeural for fast inferencing of the NAM models. It would require a rewrite of code but the creator of RTNeural has done alot of work into optimizing it. It should support all the layers required for the NAM models. I use it in GuitarML plugins for my LSTM models, and for running LSTM models on the Rpi3 and Rpi4. Looks like it now supports dilated Conv1D layers, so it's definitely possible. I think he has example implementations in there as well.

Here is the RTNeural repo on Github: https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/RTNeural (https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/RTNeural)

Edit: Looks like I haven't posted here enough, the link might not show up, just search "jatinchowdhury18/RTNeural" on Github to find it
Last edited by keyth72 on Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:06 pm I almost completely overlooked this thread because I misread its title and thought this was another boring Neural DSP "Archetype" product that aims at reproducing the gear of another tedious shredder I've never heard of...
:hihi: Same!

keyth72 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:26 pm @ladron Very cool running NAM on the Rpi4! You might look into using RTNeural for fast inferencing of the NAM models.
Thanks! I've seen the RTNeural stuff, but haven't yet had time to give it a closer look.

As you say, it looks like it supports Conv1D layers. Right now, the majority of remaining optimization potential in the NAM code is in doing the Conv1D processing, so if the RTNeural implementation is faster that could be a big win. NAM is currently using the Eigen library for matrix operations. It is pretty well optimized, but it can be hard to tell how optimal it is in any particular case.

We're not talking about a lot of code here (which is one of the coolest things about the ML approach), so it shouldn't be too hard to give RTNeural a try.

My hope is that we eventually get to a standard format for these kinds of models, and pool joint effort on optimizing them (both training and playback).

ladron wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:20 pm NAM is currently using the Eigen library for matrix operations.
Hmmm, looks like RTNeural uses Eigen as well by default (with xsimd as another option) - but it may well be using it more efficiently.

Really wish so many of the updates weren't happening on Facebook but I appreciate metalifuxx keeping us posted here. I'm not on Facebook and will never be on Facebook. Same for Twitter. I have a Discord, but don't like that one either. But hey, there's a lot of happy people using those channels and good on them!

I haven't kept up with every aspect of the development here but here are few things I'd eventually like to see (note, I'm a huge TONEX fan, user, profiler):

1. Needs to run at sample rates other than 48khz (I think that's a current limitation, correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe that's only when capturing/training the model?)

2. Would be great to see oversampling built in

3. Would be great if the software could virtually show when a cab was captured then allow you to disable it like TONEX (I have lots of IR's but prefer a good capture of the complete rig vs. an amp only capture meant to be combined with an IR)

4. There should be a built-in librarian with Prev/Next buttons and the ability to just browse through the installed profiles

5. Oversampling: one thing these profilers seem to benefit from is OS. Would love to see a good OS system built in.

6. Convert/open profiles from other profiles (e.g. load Kemper profiles, TONEX profiles if possible).

I haven't seen what the training software looks like in a while, it seemed kind of scary in an earlier version. That should be made as user friendly as possible. Again, look at TONEX as the current gold standard.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:46 pm Really wish so many of the updates weren't happening on Facebook but I appreciate metalifuxx keeping us posted here. I'm not on Facebook and will never be on Facebook. Same for Twitter. I have a Discord, but don't like that one either. But hey, there's a lot of happy people using those channels and good on them!

I haven't kept up with every aspect of the development here but here are few things I'd eventually like to see (note, I'm a huge TONEX fan, user, profiler):

1. Needs to run at sample rates other than 48khz (I think that's a current limitation, correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe that's only when capturing/training the model?)

2. Would be great to see oversampling built in

3. Would be great if the software could virtually show when a cab was captured then allow you to disable it like TONEX (I have lots of IR's but prefer a good capture of the complete rig vs. an amp only capture meant to be combined with an IR)

4. There should be a built-in librarian with Prev/Next buttons and the ability to just browse through the installed profiles

5. Oversampling: one thing these profilers seem to benefit from is OS. Would love to see a good OS system built in.

6. Convert/open profiles from other profiles (e.g. load Kemper profiles, TONEX profiles if possible).

I haven't seen what the training software looks like in a while, it seemed kind of scary in an earlier version. That should be made as user friendly as possible. Again, look at TONEX as the current gold standard.
These are all considerations that are actively being discussed on that group. The group has a lot of smart nerdy audio dev/programmers/guitarists in the group now, and half the posts are related to tech talk and how to possibly integrate these features, and also with people wanting to contribute to GUI design and also social platform/website options for forum hosting, and a profile database etc. They did have a vote on if the discussion should be moved to another platform, but 90% of the group voted to keep it on Facebook for the time being. They are aware there are lots of people averse to using FB, but it’s not intentional obviously. This was solely a solo hobby for Steve the dev, but it has expanded to a big organic roots effort with many people involved now. It’s a truly positive compassionate environment there that is contagious, and people want to keep it that way, with no drama or your typical social media bickering usually found on an audio/guitar/ampsim discussion platform. Many people on there have since created an FB account simply to only be on and involved with that group.

Moving forward, I will not be posting model/profile pack updates. That was sort an appetizer for new users to give it a go easily. I will post links if the plugin or capture software is updated. The group is trying to figure out a better solution for a profile repository for downloading, and file naming system or meta data implementation, so the generous free profiler makers donating their time, knowledge and skill, will get the proper recognition and credit they deserve.

Hi everyone!
I'd like to sign in the FB group, but it ask me to answer this question: What would you like to see a NAM model of?
What NAM model is it talking about? I can't understand because my English is not so good. I'm very interested on the topic, but not an expert.
Could someone help me? Thanks a lot!

metalifuxx wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:14 pm Moving forward, I will not be posting model/profile pack updates. That was sort an appetizer for new users to give it a go easily. I will post links if the plugin or capture software is updated. The group is trying to figure out a better solution for a profile repository for downloading, and file naming system or meta data implementation, so the generous free profiler makers donating their time, knowledge and skill, will get the proper recognition and credit they deserve.
It would be appreciated if you would keep us updated until such a repository exists.
I have no plan to ever create a Facebook account if humanly possible.

BTW. The latest version of the plugin is totally broken here, I'll have to go back to the previous one.
It creates totally distorted sound and seems to somehow crash internally, the meters get stuck and it is mono only on top...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Metalbrain wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:16 pm Hi everyone!
I'd like to sign in the FB group, but it ask me to answer this question: What would you like to see a NAM model of?
What NAM model is it talking about? I can't understand because my English is not so good. I'm very interested on the topic, but not an expert.
It's not a security question, it's just an honest question... what physical amp would you like to see NAM model? An SLO100, a JCM800, an MB Dual Rectifier, a VOX AC30? It's an easy way for the group to know what amps are popular.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

cprompt wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:06 pm
Metalbrain wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:16 pm Hi everyone!
It's not a security question, it's just an honest question... what physical amp would you like to see NAM model? An SLO100, a JCM800, an MB Dual Rectifier, a VOX AC30? It's an easy way for the group to know what amps are popular.
Ah Ah I was thinking about obscure programming terms...
Thank you!

ThomasHelzle wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:31 pm
metalifuxx wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:14 pm Moving forward, I will not be posting model/profile pack updates. That was sort an appetizer for new users to give it a go easily. I will post links if the plugin or capture software is updated. The group is trying to figure out a better solution for a profile repository for downloading, and file naming system or meta data implementation, so the generous free profiler makers donating their time, knowledge and skill, will get the proper recognition and credit they deserve.
It would be appreciated if you would keep us updated until such a repository exists.
I have no plan to ever create a Facebook account if humanly possible.

BTW. The latest version of the plugin is totally broken here, I'll have to go back to the previous one.
It creates totally distorted sound and seems to somehow crash internally, the meters get stuck and it is mono only on top...

Cheers,

Tom
Github repository posted previously

https://github.com/pelennor2170/NAM_mod ... RnMcg2Wifc

NAM-Tones.NET (New and functional)
https://nam-tones.net/#/

NeuralAmpModeler.com
https://neuralampmodeler.com/ (up, but still a work in progress and not functional yet for downloads)

Discord server
https://discord.com/invite/vBwrNAqf

You’re in luck. Some awesome peeps donating their time and effort in the NAM group. Of course this is only if the profile creators want to upload them. Some have been against wanting thier profiles all over the net or in central locations such as this. So not all will be on there. You still have to be apart of the FB group to find the best ones. At this point there are now 2,100 members and seems to growing at 50-100 members every few days now, which was only about 300 a little more than a month ago. There’s been so many new quality captures everyday that is hard to keep up now. More people are buying reamp/load boxes so they can capture and share their amp/gear collections (and there are some users with quite the vast collection of amps that will be profiled).

While NAM isn’t limited to profiling just guitar amps and pedals, there are some folks that say they’re going to start profiling some mic pre’s and studio outboard gear with preamps etc turned up for saturation/character/color and distortion to be used for mixing and wherever you want to use them :)

Summit TLA-100 (for color, not compression) [Creator: Joseph Chan]

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... Xhaw7dD7D2?

I can see absolutely NO reason to ever buy an ampsim again, judged by the situation today. NAM is THAT good, it's free, it's open source, and it will only get better. And fast! Algo ampsims will disapear, and in the commercial ampsim market we will see a complete change.
What will come? Don't know. But NAM is a gamechanger. In the true meaning of that word... And most of all because it's free, open source.
Two weeks ago, I was frustrated. It was so hard to get ITB guitar tones right. Especially VOX and tweed tones.
Now?
Solved! By NAM and the folks that use it.

Return to “Effects”