PnS App silent with File Player or generator factory presets

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I purchased a license for Plug'n Script. It's working well as a VST plug-in on my Windows 8.1 x64 PC, but I am having trouble with the PnS standalone App. Same problem with PnS v3.31 and v3.32 preview (installer date of 2022/05/06).

I have the App configured to use stereo channels of my ASIO ADC and DAC. Using File Player (Auto), File Player (Manual) or Pink Noise factory presets, the App is silent into my DAC.

My ADC isn't running, and it shouldn't need to since the App is supposed to overwrite the ADC data with the WAV or generator data. But the App maybe waiting for ADC data (clock), or maybe the App shut down processing because the ADC data is all zeros/silence (idle).

For situations like these where the ADC data is supposed to be ignored, would it be a solution to allow the App to be configured for no ADC input? In this case, the App clock comes from the DAC, and the App never shuts down processing based on ADC values.

Thanks for the heads up. Does it work when you have an input configured? Can you maybe post a screenshot of your audio I/O configuration?

I duplicated the problem using Windows WASAPI and Windows WDM-KS interfaces, connected to my laptop's built-in sound card, connected to built-in speakers and microphone. When the PnS App's Audio Input is set to the microphone, the Pink Noise factory preset produces noise in the speakers (works!). But when the PnS App's Audio Input is set to No Device or a device that outputs zero values, there is silence in the speakers (fails!).

Yes we could indeed reproduce the issue. We'll have to add a way to declare that a script can generate audio.

Blue Cat's PatchWork App has the same issue when using the PnS plugin as the first effect in the chain, configured as a generator. I downloaded the 2022-5-19 previews of PatchWork and PnS to confirm.

One solution for the issue is to change the PatchWork App and PnS App to run continuously if the Audio Inputs are set to None in the Audio Preferences menu. This would work for ASIO, Windows WASAPI and Windows WDM-KS interfaces. It would also work for VSTi instruments in either App.

Another solution is to add an option to PnS plugin and App to indicate that it is a generator, which means that it ignores its inputs and runs continuously. Generators include File Player, all Waveform presets and all Synth presets.

Both solutions may be necessary to cover all the generator use cases. I'm glad that Blue Cat Audio Standards include "No CPU load on idle: processing shuts down when fed with silence (optimal CPU usage)" for use cases that are not generators.

If you use the PnS Synth plugin (not the effect version) in Patchwork, it should solve the issue.

As you suggested, I tried the Pink Noise factory preset in the PnS Synth plugin (not the effect version) in the Patchwork App, and there is silence to my ASIO DAC device. Looks like you found another use case to test for solutions.

Another possible solution is to release extra versions: PnS Synth App and PatchWork Synth App. The Audio Preferences menu would have no Input Device, and the App would run continuously.

The latest update of PnS should fix the issue, and we'll probably have previews available for Patchwork shortly too.

I tested PnS v3.32. The File Player (Manual) and Pink Noise factory presets work well now with the PnS App's Audio Input set to No Device. Thanks for the update.

The File Player (Auto) factory preset plays now, but it can't be paused or stopped. This is not a problem for me.

Blipper wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:41 pm I tested PnS v3.32. The File Player (Manual) and Pink Noise factory presets work well now with the PnS App's Audio Input set to No Device. Thanks for the update.
:tu:
The File Player (Auto) factory preset plays now, but it can't be paused or stopped. This is not a problem for me.
Doesn't it follow the host's transport?

I am reporting the behavior of the File Player (Auto) factory preset in the PnS App, which IS the host of the PnS script.

Blipper wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:47 pm I am reporting the behavior of the File Player (Auto) factory preset in the PnS App, which IS the host of the PnS script.
Indeed! :dog:
Yes, The PnS app does not have transport controls (yet).

I propose to make File Player an input device in the PnS and PatchWork apps. This way, File Player would have transport controls. Currently, the File Player (Auto) factory preset loads the whole audio file into RAM. With File Player as an input device, the audio file can be read a buffer at a time, and the transport can move playback to any point in the file. This would also support an audio file larger than available RAM. Just like a DAW!

Th PnS file player is indeed just a simple programming example. Maybe we will add a built-in plug-in for that purpose later in our hosts.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”