Dawesome Novum (A Granular Synth for Creative Sampling)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
First Light for Novum NOVUM

Yes, thank you for the hint. I will ask tracktion that they include my release notes on their website somewhere.

There will be an update today late or tomorrow (1.05) which mainly contains a fix with rare auval validation failure on mac / Logic Pro after installation.

Currently the requirements for Novum on Mac are 10.13 or higher. That leaves owners of older, but still amazing Mac Pro's out.
So I worked on support for 10.12 -> anyone interested giving this a try? Please mail me: peter at dawesomemusic dot com

To be honest, I find it quite strange that some people want FM synthesis implemented into this. Novum is a synth fully embracing the world of granular in all its glory, and even expanding it to new grain territories. Why cluttering and bloating this synth even more with that? Of course it's not my creation nor my baby but if I was the developer, it's definitely a route I would avoid.

Man Dawsome already have an FM synth, get that one it's fully dedicated to FM! Are there are tons of other FM synths outhere. Pick your battle and enjoy :ud:

Neon Breath wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:05 pm To be honest, I find it quite strange that some people want FM synthesis implemented into this. Novum is a synth fully embracing the world of granular in all its glory, and even expanding it to new grain territories. Why cluttering and bloating this synth even more with that? Of course it's not my creation nor my baby but if I was the developer, it's definitely a route I would avoid.
I think I can explain - I assume no one wants me to integrate a DX7 into Novum!

But my previous synth Abyss has a very simple, yet powerful form of FM. It has only three sliders, gives you the typical FM like timbres and essentially works like a "filter". Dead simple to use, and adds a lot to the timbral palette.

Ye what is that request - FM on granular sampler? Hey how about adding some additive into it to huh? maybe some phase distortion also :D
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Your call PetVor, you're the mighty boss! :P

I know you know what you are doing. Nonetheless, I really enjoy Novum so far and I think it's a really unique granular synth. Well done.

CrusherX has FM/Ringmod which makes for some very interesting timbres so integrating FM into a granular synthesiser makes total sense.

martiu wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:21 pm Ye what is that request - FM on granular sampler? Hey how about adding some additive into it to huh? maybe some phase distortion also :D
Phase distortion is already in it :-D

SYNTIFY is inspired by the phase distortion of the Casio CZ synths, just that it works on arbitrary samples. You can try this by putting a sin wave into Novum and playing with SYNTIFY

I was also thinking pretty much the FM module from Abyss, just a simple way to add another sound shaping layer. Did wonders for Abyss in my opinion. I think it would work great for some of the more textural and 'strange' sounds. Another example coming to mind of FM working well in a granular synth is FRMS by imaginando.

It seems that Novum isn't recognized as an MPE plugin by Ableton....can anyone reproduce?

lalo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:18 pm It seems that Novum isn't recognized as an MPE plugin by Ableton....can anyone reproduce?
In Live device lane, right click on the Novum device and check if MPE is enabled.
Could be that, some synths are not automatically detected as MPE
Philippe

martiu wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:21 pm Ye what is that request - FM on granular sampler? Hey how about adding some additive into it to huh? maybe some phase distortion also :D
rebuilding layers after dissection analysis, spectral filtering, and the timbre flower...I'd be pretty surprised if additive is not already in there
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Sampleconstruct wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:32 pm CrusherX has FM/Ringmod which makes for some very interesting timbres so integrating FM into a granular synthesiser makes total sense.
FMing granular is also a differentiating feature set of concept 2...anybody got feedback on how it sounds or how they found it useful?
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

PetVor wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:40 pm Currently the requirements for Novum on Mac are 10.13 or higher. That leaves owners of older, but still amazing Mac Pro's out.
So I worked on support for 10.12 -> anyone interested giving this a try? Please mail me: peter at dawesomemusic dot com
Just wanted to thank you for considering us 10.13ers. I'm trying to make this (still capable) Mac last as long as possible.

parma wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:16 pm
PetVor wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:40 pm Currently the requirements for Novum on Mac are 10.13 or higher. That leaves owners of older, but still amazing Mac Pro's out.
Just wanted to thank you for considering us 10.13ers. I'm trying to make this (still capable) Mac last as long as possible.
Yes, thank you. I am a 5,1 running macPOS 10.14 which I reluctantly upgraded from 10.13. My 10.13 install was acting up so much I had no choice. Had to spend $200 on a video card! Ridiculous. Thanks for supporting older macs because as you know they are very capable music machines. The only reason they are comprimised is because of Apple manipulating their software to block us out. Little do they know that if/when my 5,1 become unuable I am going to Windoze. Done with Apple!

Return to “Instruments”