CLAP is a terrible name for a plugin format (and other general complaints about it)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No doubt, the creators thought their efforts laudable.

The fact is that whenever you talk or write about CLAP, you are likely to come up with sentences that can be misinterpreted in subtle and sometimes quite funny ways. This makes it harder to talk and write about CLAP in a serious manner. You have to weigh your words carefully to avoid laying yourself open to ridicule - and resist the temptation to crack corny jokes yourself (which some of us have a lot of trouble with).

This is actually quite unfortunate because it remove focus from what CLAP really is and the benefits it can bring. The real-world value of a standard such as CLAP depend entirely on the degree to which the industry decides to support and adopt it, and using an acronym that happens to coincide with a venereal disease will not help.

It may be possible to restrict jokes about CLAP to a designated thread on KVR but the rest of the industry is not going to be that easy to manage.

I applaud CLAP.

Just make sure you wash your hands after you've got the clap...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6btGYARpV8

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:31 am Just make sure you wash your hands after you've got the clap...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6btGYARpV8
Too late, yer nose is gunna fall off anyway.

Did a bunch of posts get deleted from the thread in which the holy name of CLAP must not be taken in vain?

Is that what got BONES banned?

rasmus_b wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:38 am The fact is that whenever you talk or write about CLAP, you are likely to come up with sentences that can be misinterpreted in subtle and sometimes quite funny ways. This makes it harder to talk and write about CLAP in a serious manner. You have to weigh your words carefully to avoid laying yourself open to ridicule - and resist the temptation to crack corny jokes yourself (which some of us have a lot of trouble with).

This is actually quite unfortunate because it remove focus from what CLAP really is and the benefits it can bring. The real-world value of a standard such as CLAP depend entirely on the degree to which the industry decides to support and adopt it, and using an acronym that happens to coincide with a venereal disease will not help.

It may be possible to restrict jokes about CLAP to a designated thread on KVR but the rest of the industry is not going to be that easy to manage.
Related, I started National Lampoon's Dorm Daze 2 in the hopes that it might be funny, not really. About 10:25 or so into the movie the "Abstinence is Awesome" meeting starts and they show a C.L.A.P subtitle on their poster, full screen! It seems that the group was hoping to attract that small minority of College Ladies Against Plugins.

LOL. Ok, going back to my terrible taste in movies.

Don't ask me what happens next, I could only take about five more minutes of the thing. Also, damn it, I missed the Bitwig/Uhe discount, I guess I'll have to wait for the next one.

Friend of mine is a dev and in a recent chat he let me know that he’s got the CLAP development under control.

When I laughed at the name he told me I was part of a childish, vocal minority that would soon die out and then the ‘joke’ would die with us.

That taught me a lesson I won’t forget in a hurry.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:58 am Friend of mine is a dev and in a recent chat he let me know that he’s got the CLAP development under control.

When I laughed at the name he told me I was part of a childish, vocal minority that would soon die out and then the ‘joke’ would die with us.

That taught me a lesson I won’t forget in a hurry.
Your friend is probably right. I mean, how many man-child curmudgeons could there really be in the world? I'm sure that will all be dead soon enough, and then nobody will ever laugh at innuendo again.

Had a bit of a read thru the main clap thread. It really appears to be the second coming, according to some of the posters. They really seem to have fallen for the clap approach.

Preach.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”