CLAP is a terrible name for a plugin format (and other general complaints about it)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

there is nothing sexual imo about a foxey lady, rabies is not sexy!

ghetto, if you ever visit the uk, avoid blackpool. not just because it's shit, but every other shop sells fake boobs/candy cocks/sugar tits/kiss me quick hats/and bondage gear.

it's a weird experience going to buy rock for the family on a day out.

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:36 pm there is nothing sexual imo about a foxey lady, rabies is not sexy!
I didn't say that there was. Are you being intentionally obtuse? A
"foxey lady" is an attractive women in 70s parlance. This has nothing to do with rabies. If you're going to try to bring jokes to the table, at least inject them with some funny. Muff is slang for vagina, in case you're in Mike's camp and are so ignorant or indifferent to slang that you'd name a website after it because you can. Sorry, that is a perfect example of another poorly named product that eventually changed the name because of external pressure.

The evolution from "Foxey Lady" and "Muff Fuzz" to "Big Muff" almost certainly took the original idea of a "muffled fuzz" to the use of the imagery of an attractive women as a way to sell products that were later combined into an obvious innuendo.

As I said, I have no idea why anyone would choose a poorly defined acronym that spells a common search term in the domain of interest and also has an obvious and very long connection to an STD in many countries when the door was wide open to choose anything.

im sure it was named after the hendrix song.

am i being intentionally obtuse?

have you met me?

id still avoid blackpool, don't be fooled by "the vegas of the north" bullshit.

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:50 pm ghetto, if you ever visit the uk, avoid blackpool. not just because it's shit, but every other shop sells fake boobs/candy cocks/sugar tits/kiss me quick hats/and bondage gear.

Don't try to paint me as some kind of prude because I think that it's a poor decision to choose a name that is an obvious reference to an STD.

It's a poor choice, period All of this locker room talk just makes you all look like Beavis and Butthead. Knock yourselves out, it's still a bad name and people will ask that question, make jokes, and complain about it for decades to come.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:55 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:50 pm ghetto, if you ever visit the uk, avoid blackpool. not just because it's shit, but every other shop sells fake boobs/candy cocks/sugar tits/kiss me quick hats/and bondage gear.

Don't try to paint me as some kind of prude because I think that it's a poor decision to choose a name that is an obvious reference to an STD.

It's a poor choice, period All of this locker room talk just makes you all look like Beavis and Butthead. Knock yourselves out, it's still a bad name and people will ask that question, make jokes, and complain about it for decades to come.
not trying to paint you as anything, just saving you a shit day out.

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:52 pm am i being intentionally obtuse?

have you met me?
I have. There are probably a few other epithets I would choose before 'obtuse'.

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:57 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:52 pm am i being intentionally obtuse?

have you met me?
I have. There are probably a few other epithets I would choose before 'obtuse'.
careful now!

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:51 pm im sure it was named after the hendrix song.
I'll buy that. I'm not even arguing that this is all intentional, to the contrary, I think that it's all just whatever, but then the innuendo rears its head and that's when the men all look at each other, snicker and agree.

I certainly don't think that the "Muff Fuzz" was intended as innuendo. I would even think that "Big Muff" seemed like a natural choice. Maybe players wanted a larger pedal. But I don't, for a second, believe that the innuendo wasn't obvious in that moment and it stuck for 50 years because it sells.

Then here comes CLAP. Not even bothering to align itself with the pleasant side of innuendo, but rather, choosing a painful STD.

It reminds me of terrible noise bands that choose names like "pulsating genital sores" or some shit. At least their audience expects that.

CLAP is just an amateur effort for an audio standard name. It fails on multiple counts and it will always have that connotation of failure in naming associated with it. The jokes will be relentless. You all are proving that with this absurd thread. You want it to be all about jokes, you said exactly that.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:04 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:51 pm im sure it was named after the hendrix song.
I'll buy that. I'm not even arguing that this is all intentional, to the contrary, I think that it's all just whatever, but then the innuendo rears its head and that's when the men all look at each other, snicker and agree.

I certainly don't think that the "Muff Fuzz" was intended as innuendo. I would even think that "Big Muff" seemed like a natural choice. Maybe players wanted a larger pedal. But I don't, for a second, believe that the innuendo wasn't obvious in that moment and it stuck for 50 years because it sells.

Then here comes CLAP. Not even bothering to align itself with the pleasant side of innuendo, but rather, choosing a painful STD.

It reminds me of terrible noise bands that choose names like "pulsating genital sores" or some shit. At least their audience expects that.

CLAP is just an amateur effort for an audio standard name. It fails on multiple counts and it will always have that connotation of failure in naming associated with it. The jokes will be relentless. You all are proving that with this absurd thread. You want it to be all about jokes, you said exactly that.
i once saw a video with the founder of ehx, he claimed in the video, the name big muff, came from the sound, it reminded him of a big muffler on an exhaust.

i can only go with what he says, im not going to accuse him of making it up.

i didn't want to offend you at any point, that was not intended, apologies, i shall leave the thread alone :)

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:28 pm
melomood wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:21 pm and look at 'dongle'

It became a euphemism

No escape. No escape
Do I really have to explain that there is a difference between slang evolving through usage and the intentional naming of something that potentially will becoming a...
No.No, not really but I have a feeling you'l.....ah....ah....yes...there it is

Now breathe

breathe
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

The origin of a name is irrelevant once that name is in the wild. I bet the good folks of a certain island were pleased to get a url with the name of their little island. Now it's a pen shop - penisland.net.
Names of products etc should be as free from innuendo as possible, there will always be those who see disrepute where none is intended. But who knows what the intention was?

"But who knows what the intention was?"

to be remembered?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”