Celtic Fiddle from Bolder Sounds

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/mediumaevum-from ... tic-fiddle

A celtic/irish soundtrack, using the fiddle from Bolder Sounds.

The fiddle requires a lot of programming. You can't just play it out-of-box on a keyboard, and expect it to sound good or natural. The articulations (there are many) are controlled by keyswitches, and the vibrato and Dynamics is adjusted using MIDI-CC/Modwheel (or hand-drawn dynamics curves).

Other instruments:

8Dio Violin, Viola and Cello Ensemble.
Ethno World for percussion, flute and balalaika.

I forgot to mention, I'd appreciate some critique on this. If you have any experience with virtual (or real) fiddles, or just have any other opinion on this piece, you're welcome to comment.

Good song, my only critique is I wish it was longer

I like it.

The mix is balanced, wide, good.

The only my complaint (a couple of) is that:
- spatial work is made in terms of modern concept, and that's why it sounds pop-music-like, and unnatural. I mean close wide drums, artificial reverb space (maybe convolution reverb with real open space impulses would fit better), and other spatial placement of the instruments, like they fight for a place near a single mic ))
- rhythmic/timing grid is straight digital, and humanizing grid-mismatches sound like the deviations from this very grid and not like a selfish natural rhythmic flow. Read more about it here: https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/james-h ... an-timing/

I know you've done a very hard work, and the most part of it has succeeded, great work well done! I like it!

Medvedium wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:41 am I like it.

The mix is balanced, wide, good.

The only my complaint (a couple of) is that:
- spatial work is made in terms of modern concept, and that's why it sounds pop-music-like, and unnatural. I mean close wide drums, artificial reverb space (maybe convolution reverb with real open space impulses would fit better), and other spatial placement of the instruments, like they fight for a place near a single mic ))
- rhythmic/timing grid is straight digital, and humanizing grid-mismatches sound like the deviations from this very grid and not like a selfish natural rhythmic flow. Read more about it here: https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/james-h ... an-timing/

I know you've done a very hard work, and the most part of it has succeeded, great work well done! I like it!
If I understand this correctly, you're saying that I should work on the reverb and play the instrument on a keyboard myself (instead of relying on plugging in the notes using the mouse)?

mediumaevum wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:09 pm If I understand this correctly, you're saying that I should work on the reverb and play the instrument on a keyboard myself (instead of relying on plugging in the notes using the mouse)?
You should do whatever you wish

Altering the reverb would add the natural feel imho. Natural feel is important for folk instruments, as unlike in pop-songs, it's very easy to feel the unnatural matter in live and especially folk instruments.

I also meant stereo-field placement, more natural, not studio-like one-by-one track/instrument recording, but recording (and instrumentalists' placement) of a whole folk band playing.

Drawing with the mouse is okay, when you have only option of drawing with the mouse, like a lot of producers have. And drawing with the mouse can be done bad, good, better and even more better.

I liked it

Have worked with similarish pieces and the programming to get it sounding natural is a skill in itself

well done!
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Actually, I think it sounds very good here.
IMO, you can stop spending more time into realism and continue working out melodies, arrangement and the rest of the art.
Fiddle sounds good /authentic enough for 90%+ of the audience, and the purists will always find "something".
I had no time for headphones, so won't comment on the stereo imaging.
Good work!

Very nice song. It sounds very authentically Irish. With the fiddle, I
have the feeling that there is often too much pitch modulation on it
- that's a bit annoying.

Otherwise, I agree with jackoo: it sounds authentic enough. Purists
always find something to complain about - I wouldn't bother with
that anymore. More interesting are longer songs that really captivate
the listener - and don't end at the beginning.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Music Cafe”