One Synth Challenge #161: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda (Vospi Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Synth1

nm
Last edited by sping on Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This is only beta11 AU, not VST

ELEX wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:13 am
Rahodees wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:55 am Problem description: Basically, the instruments play "inconsistently" from keystrike to keystrike...

Any idea what I might be missing? Or is this perhaps a quirk of the synth?

*What does the "m" stand for there?
No quirk. Your problem is probably related to the oscillator "phase" control. When set to zero, as it is by default, oscillator phase will be random at note on. Setting it to anything other will restart oscillators consistently on the set phase. And thus produce consistent percussion attacks. The working of "phase" in the unison section is dependent of the oscillator phase being set to random or fixed. It will spread in the latter case. "m.env" no doubt stands for "modulation envelope".

documentation can be found here:
https://sound.eti.pg.gda.pl/student/eim/doc/Synth1.pdf
Excellent!

So Synth1 crashes in VCV Rack 2 the moment you try to send it v/oct. I think I'm out this round.

actually I'm playing with a workaround, so I may not in fact be out...

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:57 pm actually I'm playing with a workaround, so I may not in fact be out...
Good!
Captain Silverpants

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:57 pm actually I'm playing with a workaround, so I may not in fact be out...
great. Looking forward to your track - you should be able to get any sound you want this time round ... great little synth, despite the awfully dated UI.

dB

The interface seems compressed and slightly cluttered, but it's appearance immediately sets it up for work, as the dashboard of an airliner immediately says that you are dealing with serious technics!) I also advise everyone to experiment with colors, it can help with perception, the original colors of Synth1 are not very...

Submission
This time it is a bit more relaxed composition (93 BPM).

This song has been made with 22 instances of the free synthesizer Synth1 from Ichiro Toda in the DAW Reaper for the One-Synth-Challenge number 161. It uses only a few additional FX for reverb, delay, EQ, compression and limiting and is mixed to -14 LUFS-I.

https://soundcloud.com/frank-geppert-19 ... al_sharing

Plugin works well in Reaper. It sounds a bit better than the early FM implementations. From my feeling it still has the sound color similar to early computer sound cards. Even with layering I could not get it to sound more "modern", but I leave it that way. That is the interesting part of this challenge, to get something unexpected.

Regards!
Last edited by Frank Geppert on Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am using VST's, because my daw is Bitwig. I am not fluent with Logic, so I may have to skip this OSC.

Cool, glad I kept all the patches and Neutrino Synth1 going on this PC now. Useful synth1 librarian if anyone isn't aware of it. Does a pretty good job auto-categorising the billion patches out there haha!
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dartelec wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:52 am I am using VST's, because my daw is Bitwig. I am not fluent with Logic, so I may have to skip this OSC.
I am not seeing any indication that there is something preventing using Synth1 in Bitwig, what might I be missing?

Rahodees wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:28 pm
Dartelec wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:52 am I am using VST's, because my daw is Bitwig. I am not fluent with Logic, so I may have to skip this OSC.
I am not seeing any indication that there is something preventing using Synth1 in Bitwig, what might I be missing?
macOS has no VST version.

z.prime wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:46 am
Rahodees wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:28 pm
macOS has no VST version.
Gotcha, didn't realize s/he was using Mac.

Return to “Instruments”