OB-Xtreme Version 2 - FULL VERSION RELEASED!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xtreme

If you want to skip the pre-release BS, the release stuff starts on PAGE 8.

We've been discussing it in the Aly James thread but now that the pre-release is out and you can buy it, v2 of OB-Xtreme deserves its own thread. I never had v1, and I have been waiting for v2 for a couple of months now, but despite all that anticipation, OB-Xtreme has so far delivered. I only got it this morning and I've had to go to work so I can't give you much detail at this time, but I can give you a couple of video links -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwiy8rP6Jc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTEQi7xsBs
What I can tell you is that it sounds great and CPU use seems quite low for the sound quality on offer. The GUI is large and, while it's not resizable, it is probably going to work on most screen resolutions people use.

There is no demo so you can't try it for yourself and, if you buy it, you have to wait for Aly to send you a download link, which took a few days in my case. So far it seems worth it, though. I'll come back with more details after I've had a better play around with it tonight.
Last edited by BONES on Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

wow nicccee :tu:

I think the name is very smart because this is what we think when listening to it, the extreme side of OB-X!

I like it 👌 but I don't need any other synth. I also already spent really a lot (for my income) on buying synths this year 🙃 How many such synths I need in my music? GF SEM, Korg Odyssey, Matrix 12 V, ... etc.

But I like it! 👍 How much is it? $50? Hmmmm, This is very tempting 🤔 I might buy it next month if the price still the same.

It's not about how many synths you buy, it's about having the right synths and you usually don't know which is going to be the right one until you've used it for a while. If I buy 10 things and one of them turns out to be a keeper, that's good enough for me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Yes you are right. You can't know the synth really till you have used it enough.

I wish there is a demo, but mostly I will buy it next month. I think I will have many uses for its character if it is what I imagine. I will read your review when it is ready as well :tu:

The lack of a demo is unfortunate (and I say that as an AlyJames fan who is very happy with my VProm and VSDSX plugins). The point is well taken that the right synth is valuable even if one already has others, but I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble the (admittedly fair and reasonable) price to see if this synth is the right one for me at this time.

its got really beefy low end. Way more so than other OB emulations

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:27 pm Frustrating lack of info and user videos at the moment, but it seems people are only just receiving their licenses. Don't really care about the presets. I'd like to know what the FAT control does, it seems to be a sort of unison that can be used polyphonically, which for me would be immediate advantage over OB-Xd.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fat_Controller

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:06 amWhat I can tell you is that it sounds great and CPU use seems quite low for the sound quality on offer.
I’m definitely not hearing it in any of the demos. I’m feeling like the kid pointing out that the emperor is naked. Sounds kind of dead and static, even in that demo where there was all the crazy detuning and unison.
There is no demo so you can't try it for yourself and, if you buy it, you have to wait for Aly to send you a download link, which took a few days in my case. So far it seems worth it, though. I'll come back with more details after I've had a better play around with it tonight.
That plus the lack of impressive demos kills it for me. Sounds like a pretty unprofessional operation all around.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Yes I thought it was my ear alone..
rsp
sound sculptist

Not alone at all. :phones:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

The factory presets are definitely underwhelming so they're not helping. But it's got a great sound.

I am a big fan of VPROM. I have been waiting for and bought OBExtreme 2. Understanding everyone has different expectations - for me the bass is strong, I like the ability to "spread" the notes and overall sound makes me feel like I am hearing a vintage synth. I had a similar feeling with the Gforce OB-E as reference.

If you are on the fence, you might want to wait until September
-Aly gives great instructions in e-mail with download links, but it is a bit complex for mac (VST) users as at this time only AU. But I was able to follow e-mail instructions and was able to use "element" as vst host in cubase.
-Aly is advertising this as "Pre-release" version with updates and V2 presets coming in September.

Is is pretty amazing that a one man operation is creating these instruments and at reasonable prices. I take this into account with having to be more patient on timelines.
_

No demo = No sale. Waiting a few days for the developer to manually send a download link if you buy it just makes me want to do business with him even less..... :shrug:

Moving on...... :arrow:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”