IK goes AI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AmpliTube 5 TONEX MAX TONEX SE TONEX Standard

Hear the results of the Dumble capture from the last video, the Tone Models played over the theme and A/B'd with the real amp.

https://youtu.be/t6iWWUojjwo

Another very, very impressive video.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I'm convinced by the sound but won't pull the trigger because it will probably take months if not years before we get more models available. When I look at Tone Net, there is not a lot of presets. Sharing profiles for free won't encourage pros to do it

according to my ears the lower third of the spectrum is missing something from the sampled. the bottom end thickness is just not there. it is a close facsimile but the alleged sampled version is quite thin imo. but the same goes for all plugins compared to the real hardware counterparts again imo... not just amp sims. i refrain from saying 'warm' or 'analog' but there is always the low end air or 'thickness' and spread that is lost. i will say you can't knock it though if you can't afford a real amp at this time and it is fine for practicing or working on ideas. but i will say on a positive note this sounds a bit closer than previous amp sims i have tried in the past. i have been praying that one day technology will catch up and get it right but i am running out of days lol

just my opinion mind you but what do i know? i have only been playing real amps for over 50 years

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Real amps generally have bigger speakers than most peoples monitors and move more air, I love the sound of my valve amps live, but once recorded even with good mikes they don’t sound as good listening back on my monitors…that’s the thing with amp sims, they simulate recorded amps, not live amps…so always good to have both.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

tappert wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:53 pm I'm convinced by the sound but won't pull the trigger because it will probably take months if not years before we get more models available. When I look at Tone Net, there is not a lot of presets. Sharing profiles for free won't encourage pros to do it
3,600 presets (more than 700/month so far) including us adding free presets regularly with over 1.25 million downloads.

We're already getting approached by pros, and there was a great unsolicited video from Ola Englund where he was more excited about AmpliTube TONEX than I've seen him for just about anything else.

MadDogE134 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:48 pm according to my ears the lower third of the spectrum is missing something from the sampled. the bottom end thickness is just not there.
They definitely screwed up one of their earlier videos with a marked lack of low end on the modelled version (largely corrected with basic EQ). However I don’t hear that effect in this video or the one before - sounds near-perfect to me.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

cool

don't know i may give this a go though since i have some extra jampoints gathering dust lol pretty sure i won't buy the sampling hardware since i am basically down to two amps these days... an Orange 1x12 15/7w Tiny Terror combo w/ Celestion greenback still brand new (bought it for studio work and never took it out of the box) and an old 50w Carvin 1x12 Nomad combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30. i have always preferred smaller 1x12 combos for studio recordings but really don't play that much anymore... old age and arthritis is getting the best of me lol i stopped performing back around '95 so i don't need that much BUT i would love to sample my Nomad it is pretty badass. i bought it when my old '65 Ampeg Jet petered out and was almost impossible to find replacement tubes. that old Jet was my all time favorite studio amp :( it was a screamer and took pedals upfront really well. the Nomad is way overpowered imo for what i do but it has a built in soak so i can crank it at low volumes. i'll shut up... i see i am rambling lol

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

MadDogE134 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:02 am cool

don't know i may give this a go though since i have some extra jampoints gathering dust lol pretty sure i won't buy the sampling hardware since i am basically down to two amps these days... an Orange 1x12 15/7w Tiny Terror combo w/ Celestion greenback still brand new (bought it for studio work and never took it out of the box) and an old 50w Carvin 1x12 Nomad combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30. i have always preferred smaller 1x12 combos for studio recordings but really don't play that much anymore... old age and arthritis is getting the best of me lol i stopped performing back around '95 so i don't need that much BUT i would love to sample my Nomad it is pretty badass. i bought it when my old '65 Ampeg Jet petered out and was almost impossible to find replacement tubes. that old Jet was my all time favorite studio amp :( it was a screamer and took pedals upfront really well. the Nomad is way overpowered imo for what i do but it has a built in soak so i can crank it at low volumes. i'll shut up... i see i am rambling lol

cheers
I hope you give it a go and share your captures…that is the most exciting thing about this tech going mainstream and easy to use…getting to play on other peoples amps without having to go around to their house for a jam :D

OK, i preordered the SE version. I don't have enough funds to go for the MAX version, but the Dumble example convinces me enough to believe this has enough potential to be useful for me. eagerly waiting for the release now!
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I was hoping it would be out for the weekend!

SLiC wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:55 pm Real amps generally have bigger speakers than most peoples monitors and move more air, I love the sound of my valve amps live, but once recorded even with good mikes they don’t sound as good listening back on my monitors…that’s the thing with amp sims, they simulate recorded amps, not live amps…so always good to have both.
i always called it the 'pant leg effect' lol... amp sims don't have the ability to make your bell bottoms flutter in the breeze lol :lol:

cheers

MadDogE134 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:37 pmi always called it the 'pant leg effect' lol... amp sims don't have the ability to make your bell bottoms flutter in the breeze lol :lol:

cheers
But nor do real cabs when they've been recorded and you're listening back on monitors or headphones.

I remember the first time I stood Infront of a Marshall 4x12, my mate hit a big chord and yes, the pant leg effect is very real indeed! But that doesn't translate to monitors any more than ampsims do, or don't.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

SLiC wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:18 pm I was hoping it would be out for the weekend!
They said September. So you’re expectations are a few weeks early.

Could be as many as six weeks away.

Using amp sims as a front end to real amps and then recording back has always been my preferred method mainly to get the feel (oomppf!) and dynamics of the amp 'whilst playing' (despite it never sounding quite as good recorded)...when I am just jamming its always an amp, never a sim...so that what I am used to.

How you feel when you are playing it as important (and linked to) how it sounds recorded, guess that's why many of us still go through the trouble of miking up a real amp...absolutely nothing wrong with amp sims however- far more convenient, reamping, time synced fx etc... but they just 'play' differently that all, hard to describe, but they do.

Return to “Effects”