Our Sun Awaits - new track by maximumjack

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey musical peeps,

I finally got to record a song with Marguerite - my oldest daughter, a month or so ago. I’d been wanting to get her voice down on ‘tape’ for quite a while as she’s become quite a cool singer. After some magical mixing skills from my mate Jez (making the vocals sit in the mix, which apparently I am incapable of doing) and a few last minute tweaks I got the OK from her to share it with folks.

I was also lucky enough to be allowed to re-use some killer horns that were originally recorded for the Alistair the Optimist album by Jon Nachez (who is currently in The War of Drugs).

And…I got to record my new Fender Bass VI for the first time.

Have a listen here - https://soundcloud.com/maximumjack/our-sun-awaits

Cheers all.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Love her voice, very warm, and very mature.
And your instrumentation is quite sophisticated.
Horns are great.
Love this production.
Rene

Thanks Rene!

Its good, nice sound i like how she pushes the notes around, was that the way the song was wrote or was that her idea? nice!

I like the mix overall but it does seem a little too "sizzly", like some of highs are just really high (at first I liked it but then sounded like a bit too much). Your daughters vocals are for sure the real star here. The horns are a very nice addition to the song and work very well imo. what can I say though, all in all an incredibly impressive song.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Good stuff as always. Daughter is a fine singer, but most importantly,; welcome to the marvellous world of Bass VI (mine is a Revelation, both in terms of use, and brand....https://www.revelationguitars.co.uk/guitar/rjt-60-b/) :hihi:

This is a cool one. Reminds me (later on) of Radiohead's National Anthem (the horn parts). I agree with ATS that it feels a bit "sizzly" (Is there distortion on the highend?) Especially audible for me in the bell-ish lead and the drums (esp. the snare). But the composition (harmonies, melodies) and arrangement is really really good. And ofc: yes your daughter can sing :)

:tu:
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

Thanks all - I'll put the high end 'complaints' down to the fact that my 50+ old ears can't hear them as well as I used too be able - so I probably over compensate!! I guess I'll have to start handing over the mixing as well as the singing to my daughter (and her young , full range response ears).

maximumjack wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:25 pm Thanks all - I'll put the high end 'complaints' down to the fact that my 50+ old ears can't hear them as well as I used too be able - so I probably over compensate!! I guess I'll have to start handing over the mixing as well as the singing to my daughter (and her young , full range response ears).
The mix in whole is very good (imo). Just the detail about the high end is something what could maybe improved. I talked to a member of this Cafe some time ago about the problem of hearing loss (he is near 60 if i remember correctly). Some day hearing loss will come in some sort (maybe stronger or less to everyone). Maybe a graphical display of the frequency-spectrum could help one day - not to check only with the ears, but with the eyes, too. And then + a listen from a younger person. So you could mix yourself, until you are very old :)

UPDATE:
i had some time (and because i think your track is really good) and to check if i am wrong (i see myself still as some sort of beginner and i am around 40 - you can check my mixes too... if you want :lol:) - i put your song through an analyzer. And at the parts which "bothered" me the most, it looks like in the picture (it's around 30seconds). Maybe the feeling of "sizzle" to some persons (and myself) is there, because the lower mids could maybe a have a bit more body. But like i said, i am still beginner. Maybe someone with more experience could take a look at your track.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tomtom1 on Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

knowskilz003 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:32 am Its good, nice sound i like how she pushes the notes around, was that the way the song was wrote or was that her idea? nice!
The song was mostly written that way, but for at least one of the verses/harmonies she improvised it on the spot.

Return to “Music Cafe”