iZotope RX is not the only game in town (Alternatives list)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Acoustica

robindrieghe wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:27 pm do you know of a good alternative for the ozone low end focus?
Oeksound Spiff, W.A. Production Imprint, Molecular Bytes AtomicTransient, Eventide Punctuate come to mind as multi-band transient shapers.
Monitors: HS7 / Mixing: Cubase Pro 13 / Mastering: WaveLab Pro 11.2 / Sound Design: Live 12 Suite

robindrieghe wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:27 pm do you know of a good alternative for the ozone low end focus?
Nugen https://nugenaudio.com/monofilter/

Bertom Audio has a phantom center plugin and a denoiser, both free (or pay-what-you-want, anyway). The denoiser doesn't really seem comparable to the spectral denoise in RX, but it is useful.

Wtf is de-bird? Is that for plucks?

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:14 am Wtf is de-bird? Is that for plucks?
Assuming this is a straight question - automatically removes birds from field recordings. De-plane would be a godsend.

NB - de-wind already exists in RX, but does not work at all on farts. Goodness knows I've tried.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:22 am NB - de-wind already exists in RX, but does not work at all on farts. Goodness knows I've tried.
:lol: :tu:

I would love de-plane - would be very tricky to achieve. De-bird not so handy for me but also not difficult I would think. At the moment if I needed something like that I would be doing it by hand and then using 'find similar' to trawl through the file

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:29 am I would love de-plane - would be very tricky to achieve. De-bird not so handy for me but also not difficult I would think. At the moment if I needed something like that I would be doing it by hand and then using 'find similar' to trawl through the file
De-birding is not especially difficult, but if you have hours to get through it gets old very quickly.

De-plane - harder yes, but I'd have thought doable with the ol machine learning trick - they're very easy to spot visually. You'd need 2 modes for jets and props (3 if we include helicopters) as they have very different sonic signatures.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Can anyone recommend something that works particularly well for vocal noises, specifically aggressive 'Ka' and 'cha' types (I don't seem to have an issue with 'p' plosives)? Maybe there's something that works as an insert effect that reads ahead, rather than having to go into an editor?
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

I, too, hate izotope’s cash-grab ecosystem, but RX is the king of audio restoration. I frequently have to save others’ field and phone recordings and the de-wind, de-rumble, de-noise, and spectral editing is indispensable to me. It would suck to switch between several plugins or editors to do what I need to do.

Spectrallayers looks intriguing, but steinberg’s update policy is nearly just as bad as izotope’s.

I abandoned iZonope some months ago and never missed nor looked back.
Let the money grabbers starve!

Btw Sound Forge Pro Suite now includes Spectralayers Pro.

pierb wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:42 am Btw Sound Forge Pro Suite now includes Spectralayers Pro.
Sound Forge Pro Mac discontinued. :(

What are alternatives to music rebalance for isolating vocals, bass and drums ?

Thanks a lot Marina for this thread and your research.
It helps, and I'm sure many of use are searching for good alternatives.
iZotope truly sucks as a company IMHO and I'm not impressed by their technology...

I bought RX9 recently, and I'm truly disappointed by the audio quality and by the workflow.
I'm quite surprised this is considered a standard in audio restoration and post-production (but maybe it's even worst elsewhere).

The de-click and mouth de-click features are quite nice. It's almost my only use of RX9. Sometimes noise reduction, de-plosive or adaptative phase rotation, but rarely something else (I must admit I need to learn spectral repair)...

The alternatives I have for some tasks that works good or better (and are much easier to use) are :
- Brusfri (Klevgrand) for noise reduction. Workflow of Brusfri is much better. Soundwise, when comparing to RX9, it depends from the source. But it's easier to use and it's million times cheaper !
- Waves Sibilance as a de-esser. It's the best de-esser I know, and this was a free gift (I'm not a Waves user). I never use RX9 for de-essing because I'm covered with Sibilance...

Right now I need a de-reverb plugin for badly recorded dialogues : I can't use RX9 for that. It doesn't sound good and workflow is horrible (for exemple, the rendered file never sounds like the preview : how can you work like that)...
I often use transient shapers that sound better than RX and it's just one setting to tweak. But I doubt it exists a convincing plugin for that task...
Last edited by Calagan on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marina wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:37 pm If you’re annoyed with the stalled innovation process in iZotope product line (obvious during the last 2 years) you might have already found many mixing and mastering alternatives. Still it’s likely that you might be relying on the audio/dialogue restoration software RX. After the release of the latest money grab called RX 10 Advanced I assembled a long list of all features that are found in this software with and possible alternatives the Internet has knowledge of in order to find other software to substitute RX Advanced and avoid future upgrades to iZotope/Soundwide/Francisco Partners products. I hope that sharing this list might be helpful to some of you as well.
New here and just wanted to say: thanks for taking the time to post this super helpful list!

Return to “Effects”