[OT] Basic music theory for EDM?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I've been struggling with music theory recently. However, I am not interested in becoming a composer or a pianist. I simply want to create EDM. What is the "basic" theory I need to understand in order to set myself free?

PS: Because of my lack of music theory, there are many things in ML9 that I have no idea what they are or how they work :D, but I still believe ML9 is the greatest DAW for me.

take a track you like, put it in your daw.
rebuild it, learn.repeat.
🇷🇺

4/4 beat 16 bars long with the evolving "whoosh" at the end of each pass, some cheesy chord progressions generated with "Scaler", then arpeggiate everything except Pads and Leads. Cook it for 2 minutes then add some "Drops" and keep boiling for another 2 minutes.
Last edited by robert_p on Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(...)

😁what he said
🇷🇺

Major and minor scales, major and minor chords, chord harmony, chord inversions - this is pretty much all I know and it is sufficient for EDM. If you are lazy you can only use white keys, and when you are done with composing, transpose to the desired key :D

humanboeing wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:47 pm Major and minor scales, major and minor chords, chord harmony, chord inversions - this is pretty much all I know and it is sufficient for EDM. If you are lazy you can only use white keys, and when you are done with composing, transpose to the desired key :D
:tu:

robert_p wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:38 pm 4/4 beat 16 bars long with the evolving "whoosh" at the end of each pass, some cheesy chord progressions generated with "Scaler", then arpeggiate everything except Pads and Leads. Cook it for 2 minutes then add some "Drops" and keep boiling for another 2 minutes.
That's why my music is so shite!!! :o :x :lol:

hi, would check these ones https://www.edmprod.com/category/track-breakdown/

(this is the related course https://edmprod.teachable.com/p/songwriting but it isn't not free)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “MUTOOLS”