One Synth Challenge #165: BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover by Spitfire Audio (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mike777 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:14 pm I think most artists agree with what Yadrichik_Chay says about putting your "soul" into your work- we don't think of that process as a contest. But if you happen to join a contest, well, then it's a contest.

American Bandstand tv show (1952 -1989) had a Top 10. In 1970 a Top 40 was started. The songs that hit the 'top of the charts' are rarely songs I care about. Nor do most people care. I consider these marketing schemes. The same with American Music Awards and any award shows. The 'best' songs rarely win. However, the People's Choice awards is different as 'winners' are decided by the general public and fans that vote online.

Even so, when the public votes, it's still not really about the 'best' song. It's really a popularity contest. I've seen too many times of amazing artists that rarely get any Grammy award or recognition what so ever. And other artists that win again and again. Contests mean very little.

That said, just because you put your heart and soul into a work doesn't guarantee it will be a great piece. All artists at some point realize this. It's just the nature of making art.

The good thing about contests is that it can stretch your abilities, and take you out of your comfort zone. The act of having your work 'judged' by others gives you valuable feedback, and even if harsh, should be taken as a step of growth.
That said, just because you put your heart and soul into a work doesn't guarantee it will be a great piece
I disagree, there are plenty of OSCers who do put in real emotions/feelings (as in their soul) + the superb technical stuff into their entries. I just don't do it. 8)

Those who do it also happen to win or make it to the top 10! :tu: :party:

I'm just a guitarist who happened to find OSC over a year ago.
The people here at OSC are very cool. :hug:
Fusion

Yeah, it was interesting to read Yadrichik's first comment. I never really reflect on whether I put my soul into my tracks or not, but I suppose I do in a way, because I always try to do what I do well – in OSC or outside of it.

Sometimes I'm more concerned with the technical aspect of it, other times more with the composition or the performance – and I guess I'm rarely 100% invested in all aspects of the creation process; I simply don't always have the time or the energy to do that.

But when I vote and comment, I always do it under the assumption that others are more or less equally committed to their work. I know that's not always the case, but it's often impossible to know if I'm judging a brilliant musician half-assing it, or a beginner trying to do his/her very best. So I think it's safer and more respectful to take entries at face value, as it were.

But commenting is a challenge, it's much harder than voting. You want to be constructive and meet people where they're at in their development, and not discourage anyone. Some are fiercely defensive about their work, regardless of technical abilities and knowledge – others are very humble and appreciative. Sometimes you hit a nerve, other times you're too bland and evasive, and people miss more honest feedback. There is no perfect balance.

I know from experience that it can be hard to take criticism and not feel a little twitch in the eye when it appears. I honestly think there have been rounds where I've received 40 standing ovations and ONE slightly critical comment – and that's the one that sticks with me! Totally irrational, but there it is.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Hi everyone, thanks for making me green! :D Congrats to the other greeners!

I had a lot of fun. Thank you BJ and Richard, as always.

I'll pass on the main prize, but will take the three Khun bonus prizes.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Oh, for the prize would it be okay to ask for Red Rock Sound AQ560?

EDIT: Sorry for the edit, could I ask instead for Luftrum Lunaris? Apologies!

Thank you so much, Bjporter and RichardSemper!
Last edited by ChristopherWD on Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This may be a problem, since I've chosen a Red Rock Sound plugin... (uniQ is what I'm interested in), but I'm not sure how this is handled these days?! :shrug:

Taron wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:23 pm This may be a problem, since I've chosen a Red Rock Sound plugin... (uniQ is what I'm interested in), but I'm not sure how this is handled these days?! :shrug:
Oh, if that's a problem then I rescind my request for AQ560! Apologies. If possible then, I'd change the request to Luftrum Lunaris if that's possible. :D

Congratulations to the greeners and everybody who participated! It was my first time and I had a blast! Thanks Bjporter and RichardSemper.

For the prize, could I ask for 2 Aiyn Zahev soundsets? Diva: Transitions Vol.1 and Vol. 2.

Congrats to all ... you all stepped up to this unusual challenge. Thanks to Richard and Brian for keeping this monthly challenge going. I enjoyed making the piece and strangely I hear many tunes like it on TV of late! Minimalism is taking over - well, not quite, but composers of ad and tv trailers have been using it as a cheap and cheerful way of getting something done.

Top 5 were pretty much as I expected ... :clap: :clap: :clap:

dB

Hi,
Congrats to the winner, the top five and everybody! Real challenging but formative stage.
Thank you OSC admins for this amazing place. See ya in a few days for december entry...maybe

Ciaoooo
ZM

ChristopherWD wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:49 pm
Taron wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:23 pm This may be a problem, since I've chosen a Red Rock Sound plugin... (uniQ is what I'm interested in), but I'm not sure how this is handled these days?! :shrug:
Oh, if that's a problem then I rescind my request for AQ560! Apologies. If possible then, I'd change the request to Luftrum Lunaris if that's possible. :D
You can't have Lunaris, I am sorry.

But you CAN have Lunaris 2 instead. :wink:

https://youtu.be/UY234baJvAw
Luftrum
Sound Designer
Lunaris 2 - the premier pads instrument for NI Kontakt Player - pads and pads only...

Luftrum wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:20 am You can't have Lunaris, I am sorry.

But you CAN have Lunaris 2 instead. :wink:

https://youtu.be/UY234baJvAw
Wow, thank you so much! I've been playing around with it today and it's wonderful - so much inspiration in these sounds. I especially like the digital and ambient pads included, reminds me of why I stuck with the KORG M1 for so long. Lunaris 2 seems incredibly powerful for these kind of sounds. :D

For anyone that's interested, I rescored my entry with BBCSO Pro. You can compare with the Discover version and see what you think:

Spitfire Discover version:
https://soundcloud.com/luke-antony/disc ... al_sharing

Spitfire BBCSO Pro version:
https://soundcloud.com/luke-antony/disc ... al_sharing

Return to “Instruments”