u-he Plugins vs. Komplete Kontrol 2.8

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With the new Komplete Kontrol on Apple Silicon, only VST3 plugins are supported. While loading the VST3 u-he plugins from inside Komplete Kontrol works fine, loading NKS presets now bail out with an error message:

Is the fact that the preset refers to a VST2 plugin hardcoded in the NKS format? If so, does that mean that all (hundreds of thousands of) NKS presets people will have need to be updated or is there something u-he can do @ their end?

See answers here:

https://community.native-instruments.co ... ets#latest
Is the fact that the preset refers to a VST2 plugin hardcoded in the NKS format?

Short answer yes, kindof, but not for all plugins (depends on if they support VST2->3 migration) and even then you can in the short term run KK in Rosetta 2 and access VST2 and NKSF presets for plugins that don't migrate yet

We are in talks with NI and are looking into ways to fix this.
NI have dropped support for VST2 in the native Silicon version of their NKS hosts without prior notice.
For the moment, if you switch the NKS host to Rosetta mode, it will be able to load VST2 plugins, and everything will work again.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:38 am nt, if you switch the NKS host to Rosetta mode, it will be able to load VST2 plugins, and everything will work again.
man, that sucks for you guys!

Is that a setting in Komplete Kontrol? I actually was searching the forum, because I booted up Maschine which I haven't used for a while, and was faced with the same issue.

Do you know if it's a setting in there, that I can change?

Also will u-he be porting NKS over to VST3 or AU Component?

ekwipt wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:35 am Also will u-he be porting NKS over to VST3 or AU Component?
We're hoping for CLAP.

ekwipt wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:35 am
tasmaniandevil wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:38 am nt, if you switch the NKS host to Rosetta mode, it will be able to load VST2 plugins, and everything will work again.
man, that sucks for you guys!

Is that a setting in Komplete Kontrol? I actually was searching the forum, because I booted up Maschine which I haven't used for a while, and was faced with the same issue.

Do you know if it's a setting in there, that I can change?

Also will u-he be porting NKS over to VST3 or AU Component?
Right click on the application icon, select the info panel, then tick the check box to run in rosetta mode

Urs wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:42 am
ekwipt wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:35 am Also will u-he be porting NKS over to VST3 or AU Component?
We're hoping for CLAP.
Ahh so Native Instruments will be supporting CLAP?

How's Ableton going with CLAP support?

thanks!

ekwipt wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:43 pm
We're hoping for CLAP.

as odd as this sounds, I hope they don't.
With the current track record, it will probably take them 6 years or so to finish the port and after finishing the port it will break something that works now and no going back.

I mean NI not Ableton, in case that's not obvious.

ekwipt wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:43 pm
We're hoping for CLAP.

AFAIK they have no current plans to support CLAP. There's still hope though.

The obvious technical advantage of using CLAP for NKS is that NI's extensions can be implemented with the means of the standard (CLAP Extensions) while remaining private. It can also attach itself to interfaces that serve a similar purpose, such as preset meta data and built-in controller assignments. CLAP has such mechanisms, but they are currently in concept/draft stages. Hence, NI would have the historical chance to work with the CLAP team to specify these interfaces to their requirements for NKS. This chance will however vanish once the extensions are finalised, and then they will have a disadvantage in the future.

Whether or not Ableton supports CLAP is irrelevant for NKS, as NKS is only ever hosted in NI software. As long as the NI software can be hosted in Ableton, NKS could be based on whatever format. NI could even create their own format for it instead of attaching themselves to some proprietary standard that exposes them to financial risks. Such a standard can potentially change in a way that breaks such an add on, or worse, the license agreement can be cancelled unilaterally without a reason given.

That sounds very like the hard sell to NI to support CLAP. :-)
However, here's where I bring up a matter that's been slightly irritating me recently, and I suspect I'll get shot down in flames by the Bitwig users but....
Recently I asked why MFM2 didn't have NKS support on release and was informed the goal was eventually to have all the instruments ported and it will be available at some point, in fact I got the singular impression that you would not be releasing any legacy updates with NKS until all the updates had been tackled due to "technical debit".
I also purchased Uhbik well about 3 years ago on the strength of some betas and while they are technical betas they are still very usable, but here's where I get a bit miffed....
I can't help but feel that really you would not have this much technical debit if you hadn't gone off and invented your own plugin format with one DAW manufacture. Yes, I get all the reasons why, but it really only helps Bitwig owners at the moment, and there are a vast number of non Bitwig users that having been patiently waiting for years, for promises like we fully support NKS and we hope to have this out in the next few weeks. I'm seeing regular CLAP updates on some instruments, so you guys are obviously busy, but is it on stuff you promised 3 years ago.... I don't think so.
I'm sorry I don't want to moan, I'm a big fan of your work, its great... and I understand the difficulties and frustrations, but I just can't help but feel just a little bit cheated recently and that's not a feeling I have ever had before from Uhe. Sorry and please feel free to tell me I'm wrong in every way as you're still my favourite developer.

40watt wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:03 pm I can't help but feel that really you would not have this much technical debit if you hadn't gone off and invented your own plugin format with one DAW manufacture.
Very unpopular opinion you've articulated there, but just chiming in that I 100% agree.

40watt wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:03 pm That sounds very like the hard sell to NI to support CLAP. :-)
However, here's where I bring up a matter that's been slightly irritating me recently, and I suspect I'll get shot down in flames by the Bitwig users but....
Recently I asked why MFM2 didn't have NKS support on release and was informed the goal was eventually to have all the instruments ported and it will be available at some point, in fact I got the singular impression that you would not be releasing any legacy updates with NKS until all the updates had been tackled due to "technical debit".
I also purchased Uhbik well about 3 years ago on the strength of some betas and while they are technical betas they are still very usable, but here's where I get a bit miffed....
I can't help but feel that really you would not have this much technical debit if you hadn't gone off and invented your own plugin format with one DAW manufacture. Yes, I get all the reasons why, but it really only helps Bitwig owners at the moment, and there are a vast number of non Bitwig users that having been patiently waiting for years, for promises like we fully support NKS and we hope to have this out in the next few weeks. I'm seeing regular CLAP updates on some instruments, so you guys are obviously busy, but is it on stuff you promised 3 years ago.... I don't think so.
I'm sorry I don't want to moan, I'm a big fan of your work, its great... and I understand the difficulties and frustrations, but I just can't help but feel just a little bit cheated recently and that's not a feeling I have ever had before from Uhe. Sorry and please feel free to tell me I'm wrong in every way as you're still my favourite developer.
I have hardly been involved in CLAP's design process. A few meetings and a few more chats at best, but if you look at the pull requests in the repository, not a single one comes from u-he. It's mostly abique and a few people from the Open Source community.

I can not lay out the reasons for reprioritising our technical debt without going into an unpleasant state of mind. I'm as frustrated as anyone.

I hear you, thanks for replying and sorry to bring it up. Your work is appreciated as is your candour.

Yay!

We uploaded slightly modified version of our NKS-ready software that load correctly as NKS in Komplete Kontrol 2.8.1 or Maschine 2.16.1 - both updates from u-he and NI are from today.

Just re-download our plug-ins and install, then go to Native Access and update NKS software.

If you first update KK/MAS before you install our updates, you need to rescan before our plug-ins appear.

Note that nothing else has changed in our software, this is just a quick fix so that NKS software loads our VST3 plug-ins for NKS on Apple Silicon and correctly maps settings/parameters etc.

Cheers,

- U

Return to “u-he”