Markov Melody Generator - more questions

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I create a Markov Melody Generator preset, where a MIDI file is already analyzed, the generator suddenly doesn't "behave as generator" anymore. All shapes are the same.

Is that correct?

Just look here - maybe I am doing something wrong:
https://youtu.be/S-N7NgdDnIM
Best regards and keep on creating music,
-rockbandguy

It's actually working as designed.. So, it's not a bug.. I see exactly what you want, so, it may have to be looked at further.

For now, you can do exactly as you did, just, select a phrase after you placed it and just regenerate the shape, manually. ( click the button with the lightning bolt and "S")

I agree that it should do that automatically when placed.. I will pass this one along..

Thx, BlueGenes. At the moment I can use this "workaround" (in combination with the Markov Melody Generator be set to a higher number of bars).
-rockbandguy

Just to add to what Gene has said. You can also either: Add a 4 bar Markov instead of a 1 bar (or drag out a 1 bar to make 4 bars and have a single phrase) Or you can add a 1 bar Markov and duplicate it to say, bar 2. Then drag the midi from bar 1 into the midi learn in the bar 2 Markov inspector and get it to build something based on bar 1. That means that as each bar progresses, the original 'seed' is diluted further (bar 2 is learnt from bar 1, bar 3 is learnt from bar 2 etc).

The Markov is an incredibly powerful tool and I think it was originally included as an experimental feature. Personally, I find it the most creative of the melody generators. Most of the melody lines "Symphony No 1 in C" in the signature below, were Markov generations with minimal tweaking. The whole symphony was written using Rapid Composer!!!

Experimentation is the name of the game though and just keep going until you have the bones of something that you can work with and develop. Good luck and thanks for sharing the video.

Cheers. Mike.

Thx, Mike, for Your ideas, especially this one:
"Or you can add a 1 bar Markov and duplicate it to say, bar 2. Then drag the midi from bar 1 into the midi learn in the bar 2 Markov inspector and get it to build something based on bar 1."
Like it!
I am very happy, that I found Rapid Composer. I am discovering (while I listen to Mike Oldfield's "Discovery")!
-rockbandguy

P.S. Just used the Arpeggiator on "Poison Arrows" Great!
https://youtu.be/FwuKayxzOoQ
-rockbandguy

The Markov is an incredibly powerful tool and I think it was originally included as an experimental feature. Personally, I find it the most creative melody generator.

I second that mate, it's one of my most used generators, it would be great if the midi learn work a little bit better when it comes to analysing midi. Would be especially great if it could work with chords. ( polyphonic notes)
I'm really hoping that Attila implement the midi learn to the mid mutator soon, I know this is a request your waiting for as well.

Have you seen any updates about this?

+1 here Dan. I've not heard anything yet, only Attila knows what is in the pipeline. I'd also love to see polyphonic analysis and forward synthesis from the Markov by setting the generator parameters from what had been fed / learnt. Especially with an auto reharmonise option for when the phrase is (re)generated.
Having said that, a mono line is easier by magnitudes to figure out its melodic shape and make predictions, opposed to full polyphonic which would have to make harmonic assumptions so it's like going from a single line drawing to full 3D ;)

Cheers.
Mike.

Mykyndryd_ wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:05 pm +1 here Dan. I've not heard anything yet, only Attila knows what is in the pipeline. I'd also love to see polyphonic analysis and forward synthesis from the Markov by setting the generator parameters from what had been fed / learnt. Especially with an auto reharmonise option for when the phrase is (re)generated.
Having said that, a mono line is easier by magnitudes to figure out its melodic shape and make predictions, opposed to full polyphonic which would have to make harmonic assumptions so it's like going from a single line drawing to full 3D ;)

Cheers.
Mike.
Would be great to see this implemented in this next update definitely with you on this one Mike,

Return to “MusicDevelopments”