Apple Logic Pro

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apple doesn't demand the price premium it used to. A new M1/M2 MacBook Air costs about the same as a Dell XPS 13 and blows its doors off in power and efficiency. Apple Silicon is an absolute game changer.

That said, I still wouldn't buy a new computer just to try out a DAW. If you need a computer and are interested in Macs, sure, but otherwise there are lots of other great options. I just moved from using Logic for many years to Ableton. I'm not totally sure how I feel about it, but I'm liking it so far.

Also keep in mind you can get good deals on licenses through Thomann.

Logic is nice in many ways. It’s relatively cheap, but complete with features, free updates, bundled with a lot of sound and plugins to get you started. The down side is it requires MAC. But as many mentioned, the new MACs are pretty nice if you have the money. A good alternative is Cubase if you do a lot of MIDI and virtual instruments. It’s cross platform, a lot of pro composers use it and very solid.

Their loop/sample library and virtual drummer are nice but i haven't found anytning else that makes me buy it instead of Reaper that i already have.

Love that Logic is basically Garageband on steroids- my kids have taught themselves how to use garage band on their ipads, and they actually know how to do the basics in logic as a result!

I switched from FL Studio on OSX to Logic Pro on OSX last year. I wish I'd done it years ago. Logic Pro's workflow just feels far more streamlined than FL Studio's. It's just a lot easier/quicker to get things done. I just wish I could sell my FL studio license, as I'd like to spend that money on a new AU instrument or two.
DAW: Logic Pro Audio Interface: STUDIO 24c Monitors: ROKIT 5 Microphone: AT2020 Computer: iMac 27" Keyboard: LaunchKEY 49

I know I gave the idea of buying a Mac just for Logic a hard time. And I stand by that. But I truly, truly believe that had I begun on a Mac with Logic, I would have been better off.

I’ve been titrating this idea in my head about which DAWs are “system” DAWs, and which DAWs are “platform” DAWs. In other words, which DAWs have everything you need and which DAWs just give you something to build on top of. Arguably, all DAWs can be in the first category of you squint hard enough.

But Logic is so squarely in the former category that I’m convinced that people who start on Logic as a whole buy less third-party stuff. I can’t prove it but I really think that’s true. Imagine you get REAPER. “Oh hey there, I heard you need a piano instrument. And some pitch correction software. And a sampler-synth.” Yeah, maybe the third-party stuff outdoes Logic’s stuff, but come on, man.

BKSchatzki wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:10 pm I know I gave the idea of buying a Mac just for Logic a hard time. And I stand by that. But I truly, truly believe that had I begun on a Mac with Logic, I would have been better off.

I’ve been titrating this idea in my head about which DAWs are “system” DAWs, and which DAWs are “platform” DAWs. In other words, which DAWs have everything you need and which DAWs just give you something to build on top of. Arguably, all DAWs can be in the first category of you squint hard enough.

But Logic is so squarely in the former category that I’m convinced that people who start on Logic as a whole buy less third-party stuff. I can’t prove it but I really think that’s true. Imagine you get REAPER. “Oh hey there, I heard you need a piano instrument. And some pitch correction software. And a sampler-synth.” Yeah, maybe the third-party stuff outdoes Logic’s stuff, but come on, man.
Long time Logic user here, and yes you are correct in your sentiments. The need for a lot of 3rd party stuff especially Synths is not needed because Logic has some of the best Synths and instruments out there already included. Alchemy (from Camel Audio Alchemy) beats a lot of 3rd party synths and is right on par with the best. + Retro Synth, ES2, Sculpture, Drum Machine Designer and Drum Kit Designer etc are fantastic.

Flex pitch is basically Melodyne if you know how to use it, pitch correction is not quite Auto Tune level for subtle or transparent tuning, but can get the job done for the harder effect like urban artist use.

And the FX are some of my favorite regardless of any 3rd party stuff! It just works and works well.

So yeah, Logic Pro X as it stands right now is a complete powerhouse of a DAW and if you started with just Logic you wouldn’t have any handicaps from making professional tracks. Makes buying a Mac a no brainer for music production in my opinion even if you love windows. The 2 can co exist peacefully lol

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”