Search function doesn't work

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I didn't see anywhere to post suggestions or issues found with the site, so I guess this is the closest place on the forum. Tried doing a search and didn't work.......if anyone knows a better place to post this let me know. Thx!

Site Stuff: viewforum.php?f=2

NB better be a bit more specific than just "doesn't work."
How did you start search? What was the search term? Full url could help...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I'm getting issues with this too.

In the Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos) forum, using the 'search this forum' function, some of the VST names I enter in there that I have in my FS list are recognised, while some aren't.

So, if anyone else seaches for those VSTs because they're looking to buy them, my listing won't show up for them and they won't know I have it for sale.
"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

Better be a bit more specific than "getting issues too."
Why do you leave us guessing what your search term was?

Anyways, apparently 14 characters is the limit for searches, and MAutoDynamicEq is exactly that.

Code: Select all

MAutoDynamicEq

BertKoor wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:25 am Better be a bit more specific than "getting issues too."
I was more specific, as to what the issue was.
Choikdoi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:05 am In the Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos) forum, using the 'search this forum' function, some of the VST names I enter in there that I have in my FS list are recognised, while some aren't.

So, if anyone else seaches for those VSTs because they're looking to buy them, my listing won't show up for them and they won't know I have it for sale.

BertKoor wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:25 am Why do you leave us guessing what your search term was?
Because there was more than 1, and I hadn't gone through my entire list to check every single one.

I didn't know what the maximum character length was, but I knew that it shouldn't be having trouble finding shorter words like Hybrid, but it was. The search results show some user's listings that include Hybrid, as in AIR Hybrid 3, but mine is not one of them.

Choikdoi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:29 am
BertKoor wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:25 am Why do you leave us guessing what your search term was?
Because there was more than 1, and I hadn't gone through my entire list to check every single one.

I didn't know what the maximum character length was, but I knew that it shouldn't be having trouble finding shorter words like Hybrid, but it was. The search results show some user's listings that include Hybrid, as in AIR Hybrid 3, but mine is not one of them.
Im not seeing that issue, Search definitely returns posts of yours back to July 2022 (ie in Buy&Sell) where you mention it.

Note that you can specifically search your own posts

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=467911
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:41 am
Choikdoi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:29 am

Im not seeing that issue, Search definitely returns posts of yours back to July 2022 (ie in Buy&Sell) where you mention it.

Note that you can specifically search your own posts

Yes, I'm aware that I can go to my profile and click 'show your posts'. But all of mine appear when I look from there too. That isn't where the posts are being omitted.

When you say "Search definitely returns posts of yours back to July 2022 (ie in Buy&Sell) where you mention it", do you mean in that link?

Or, are you saying you went to the Sell & Buy forum and searched for the VST names from there?

Pigments, Collection (FX Collection), Stage (Piano), Stage (EP), Organ, Hybrid, Bassline, don't show results including my For Sale post when I search directly from the Sell & Buy forum. But, they do show results including other member's For Sale posts, for those exact same VST names.

So why are those ones omitted when I search for them, but when I search for the other VSTs I have for sale, the results show both my For Sale page AND other member's listings?

It's just obviously something worth mentioning, because without knowing the answer, I don't know if my For Sale post is being hidden from all other member's who search for a specific VST (from the Sell & Buy forum pages search box) that they are looking to buy, potentially missing a sale opportunity. Or, vice versa, maybe I'm not seeing VSTs that I want to buy, because other member's posts are not being visible to me when I use the search function.

Your Hybrid for sale is halfway page 4 of the search results specific within Sell&Buys, so...

I had assumed that when you are looking for a VST in particular and want to search for the name of it to compare who's selling it and for what price, the results would appear in chronological order for all posts that include that VST.

So, if I bumped my post 2 days ago, it should show it at / near the top of the list of results, not 4 and a half pages in for a post that was 9 months ago. And this is just for AIR Hybrid 3, if it was a more popular VST, a 9 month old post would be much further down than 4 and half pages of search results.

So, if it's not the date that the post containing the name of the VST was bumped that determines the order of the results, what is it?

That post you linked also shows the other AIR VSTs that I thought were missing. Pigments is suddenly now showing on page 1 of a search when it didn't earlier. But FX Collection still doesn't return a result for my post at all? At least not for the first 10 pages... I'm not gonna check all 279.

Choikdoi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:13 am
When you say "Search definitely returns posts of yours back to July 2022 (ie in Buy&Sell) where you mention it", do you mean in that link?

No.
Or, are you saying you went to the Sell & Buy forum and searched for the VST names from there?
No. Though I could have done.
Instead I searched all posts at KVR, and filtered by 'Sell and Buy' forum only.
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Choikdoi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:56 pm I had assumed that when you are looking for a VST in particular and want to search for the name of it to compare who's selling it and for what price, the results would appear in chronological order for all posts that include that VST.
Well that's a very bad assumption, Im afraid.
Search searches for all instances of the text you search for. Its not searching for names of VSTs as something specific, its just searching for the text you give it. Because it couldnt possibly do that as its just a text search; it doesnt 'know' which text is the name of a VST or not.
So, if I bumped my post 2 days ago, it should show it at / near the top of the list of results, not 4 and a half pages in for a post that was 9 months ago. And this is just for AIR Hybrid 3, if it was a more popular VST, a 9 month old post would be much further down than 4 and half pages of search results.
The search system does not understand which words are the names of VSTs, nor can it possibly identify that someone adding a new post to a thread sometimes means it should somehow change the recorded date organisation of searches.
So, if it's not the date that the post containing the name of the VST was bumped that determines the order of the results, what is it?
Its the date that the post containing the name of the text string you search for was made that determines the order of the results.

Its not posts which are bumped, its threads. Every post has a fixed date that does not change. Bumping a thread doesnt change anything about the first post in that thread, it just changes what the last post in the thread is.

You also seem to be expecting that software can actually recognise that a post is a bump? Its cant, its not AI or magic.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:27 pm Well that's a very bad assumption, Im afraid.
Search searches for all instances of the text you search for. Its not searching for names of VSTs as something specific, its just searching for the text you give it. Because it couldnt possibly do that as its just a text search; it doesnt 'know' which text is the name of a VST or not.
I was aware that it didn't 'know' what is a VST and what isn't. When I said "search for a name of" a VST... I was literally only referring to the act of entering the name of it into the search box... as text, to then find instances of that text. Nothing more.
The search system does not understand which words are the names of VSTs, nor can it possibly identify that someone adding a new post to a thread sometimes means it should somehow change the recorded date organisation of searches.

Its the date that the post containing the name of the text string you search for was made that determines the order of the results.

But, it's not new posts being added to the For Sale page. It's one original post, that is then constantly edited to add or remove text. So, if it's the date which that post was originally made that determines it, every piece of text in that post would be returned in the search results from the same date for that member (Sat Jul 23, 2022 for me). So, why is it that "adaptiverb", "stix", "flesh", "Go2", which were all added to that post at differing dates, all appear at the top of the search engine results? They are in the same post as "hybrid" and the other AIR VSTs, so why don't they also only show as coming from a post that was made 9 months ago?
You also seem to be expecting that software can actually recognise that a post is a bump? Its cant, its not AI or magic.
No... I did not believe it to be capable of AI level stuff, or magic.

But, when I search for "adaptiverb", for example... it returns more than just a single post in the search results. My For Sale page appears as the first SEVEN results, before another member's post containing the text "adaptiverb" is shown. And for all of those seven search results, they are not all the same date. It shows the dates at which the post was bumped. For each one.

search.php?keywords=ADAPTIVERB&fid%5B0%5D=43

And none of this explains why I can't find a result for "collection", to show that my For Sale page contains the text "FX Collection", when a search for "collection" does show other member's For Sale pages, also selling something labeled as "FX Collection".

What are you on about? It's halfway page 12 on search results of "fx collection" in Sell&Buy.
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... &start=180

Just post an answer in your topic which isn't just filler, but with a list of the items you still have on sale. Then it will be further on top of search results

BertKoor wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:29 pm What are you on about? It's halfway page 12 on search results of "fx collection" in Sell&Buy.
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... &start=180

Just post an answer in your topic which isn't just filler, but with a list of the items you still have on sale. Then it will be further on top of search results
Fair enough... so it was on page 12 after I gave up looking at page 9, since I had no idea how many pages it would be and couldn't be arsed check that many.

Still makes no sense that I hadn't done what you suggest... "Just post an answer in your topic which isn't just filler, but with a list of the items you still have on sale. Then it will be further on top of search results"... for the items like ADAPTIVERB or StiX, yet they are on top of the search results. So there's clearly still some missing factor that defines the search result order (no AI, no magic) and is the reason why some of the VST names in my post appear at the top of their respective search results and some names appear as being 9 months old... and some in between that. It's not the date of the original post, I just explained why in the previous response to whyterabbyt.

So, my question remains... why some and why not others? In terms of appearing at the top of the results pages. Considering that all of them have been added to the same post of mine, in exactly the same way. Something is ordering them in different ways, magic or not. Don't quite know why it's appeared that I've come across as such a pain in the ass to both the responders so far for simply wondering why it's happening and asking if anyone knows why!

Return to “Site Stuff”