Tokyo Dawn Labs release the SimuLathe product range (virtual disk mastering)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR SimuLathe CUT TDR SimuLathe REF

FabienTDR wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:12 pm SimuLathe Credits: ...
A sidenote. If you are a musician and even consider releasing a vinyl record, there is a near 100% chance your vinyl mastering a/o lacquer cut will be performed by someone on that list. Pressing plants aren't necessarily plentiful in the US right now (otherwise the lead time on vinyl would be less than the current 6-9 months) and the community of people experienced with lacquer cutting is small enough that even double or triple that list would amount to maybe less than 2 people per state.

Any technological advancements toward streamlining or improving the vinyl manufacturing pipeline is really welcome right now. Even the biggest record companies haven't been investing in the vinyl mfg infrastructure...and they've had more than 20 years to re-invest in the industry or rebuild their own plants. They haven't.

theviirus wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:27 am
FabienTDR wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:12 pm SimuLathe Credits: ...
A sidenote. If you are a musician and even consider releasing a vinyl record, there is a near 100% chance your vinyl mastering a/o lacquer cut will be performed by someone on that list.
True. I'm a nobody, and I've still sent multiple jobs to Bob Weston

The real question - is TDR working with NASA to beam out copies of SimuLathe to the Voyager spacecraft so alien civilizations discovering the records they carry will understand how they were made, to better play them at the highest fidelity? :D :party:

Winstontaneous wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:57 am The real question - is TDR working with NASA to beam out copies of SimuLathe to the Voyager spacecraft so alien civilizations discovering the records they carry will understand how they were made, to better play them at the highest fidelity? :D :party:
They wonder for sure, already on the way to visit us and finally see the lathe! :)
SimuLathe could allow them to turn back home satisfied, save us from some conflicts. Not sure if our politicians would get this nerdy point. Let's hope ET has internet and finds our website. ;)
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

"Our alien masters" could take on a whole new meaning!

I'm interested to use this as an effect in production.

How many computers can i install it on and how is it protected in terms of piracy?

Does it report latency to the host?

I just tried using it on a track in a mix and my DAW doesn't compensate for the massive latency.

But i guess i could manually sync it up by pulling the audio forward in time.

Is it possible to de-activate the circuit breaker, when using it as an effect?

EDIT: playing with it some more, this is a really great effect!

I'd suggest you release an "Effect" version of the plugin with some extra features added, like an EQ on each component of the "defects" section, perhaps lower latency (if possible).

And also on / off buttons for crackle and clicks and a volume slider for these as well. Because with the clicks, you can only change the amount of them, not their level (but correct me if i'm wrong!)

Because of the latency, it would be very useful to have an A/B switch that let's us level match and compare with the original, running through the same latency.

If there was an effects version, it would be an instant buy for me. I appreciate that these suggestions take it away from being a realistic simulation, but i think it would greatly increase your addressable market! You could also remove some of the features aimed at mastering & cutting engineers, so the "effects" version could be a bit cheaper.

Yes indeed, we can now also use the tech for creative fun, be it a creative version of SL or part of a different product.

Nothing's easier than throwing a bit of EQ, saturation, noise, hiss and clicks and print "vinyl" onto it. Crude and largely nonsensical guess work servicing a cliché. We specifically do not want to be associated with this approach. About 20 competitors are on the market already doing just that, there isn't much we can contribute to them.

It's pointless for us to try be playful with something we don't understand. Our "trick" is to directly work with today's most active disk mastering pros, offering them their dream software in exchange for their knowledge/experience/machine park. SimuLathe is the pudding, the proof of our learnings. As long we don't have the true pros nod to it (as is the case with SimuLathe), it's a shot in the dark. We can now build on this unique knowledge, step by step.
Last edited by FabienTDR on Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 9 times in total.

About latency, note that the pitch computer's preview time is not reported as latency.
The total effective latency is: ~100ms for processing + pitch computer preview time.
If you want lowest latency, use a fixed pitch mode (i.e. turn off the pitch computer).

You can configure the circuit breaker from the quality menu. It's well hidden, sorry. :)

For A/Bing Pickup models, in general, make sure to compare the lathe's feedback with pickups (these channels all are subject to the same pitch computer delay). Not with the input, as this one is independent of the pitch computer.

BTW, version 1.0.4 is out, with many fixes.

Return to “Effects”