True Balance giving weird readings [Solved]

Official support for: sonible.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
true:balance

Hey there.

I recently purchased True Balance and True Level bundle, but haven't even been able to get started using them, because of this strange problem with True Balance, that I really don't understand.

I'm really hoping it's an error on my part, because at the moment, I feel like I've wasted my money here.

Ok, so I noticed that TB was telling me I needed to reduce the levels of my track by a lot more than seemed sensible, and when I did what it said, my track was at a stupidly low level. Far lower than any reference I loaded in.

So to settle this, I created a new FL project, and used the exact same file as target and TB reference.

I also made sure that the file had no breaks (just 30 secs with drums and stuff)

As you can see from the pic I attached, the file is playing from Metric AB and going straight into TB with no further processing.

And also, if you look at the FL mixer on the left, you will see that metric AB is outputting to the mixer at more or less 0db, which is also the db level shown on True Balance.

So what is going on here?

It's telling me to lower levels by 18db, even though my source and target are exactly the same wav file!
Surely it should be telling me everything looks good, no?

I should also note:

Problem persists when I play the ref from FL playlist, instead of Metric AB

Attached pic is from the just released FL 21, but I was using FL 20 when I first noticed the issue

I have tried various different wavs (including full tracks) but problem persists.

Changing spectral reference between Universal, Electronic etc, doesn't change this behaviour

TB 1.0.0
Win 10

Hope someone has an explanation for this

Thank you

Edit:
Removed pic from this post, as I didn't give the FL project a name, and it was displaying my personal account information
Last edited by _al_ on Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hey @_al_,

it looks like the "auto follow mode" for the frequency zone is not active. Therefore, the reference zone does not adapt to the level of your input signal. Simply activate the little "A" button next to the name of the chosen reference to activate the auto follow mode. By the way - it should be activated per default, so it's strange that it's not on here.

We also release a small update for the plug-in. You can download it from https://downloads.sonible.com/tvapi.php?sku=plu-0013 - it also fixes some smaller problems with the alignment of reference tracks with the measured signal.

Best,

Alex

Hmm, I was under the impression that the auto follow was related to the visual feedback, and had no impact on the way the plugin took measurements! And actually, the YouTube tutorial I saw, said the same thing!

Ok, well anyway, I would love to say thank you for your help, and be on my way, but unfortunately the problem isn't fixed!

Installed that latest update you linked, and loaded up that same project file.

As you can see from the attached pic, the high and mid seem to be ok now, but the bass is still 9db too loud!
Even though it's still analysing and referencing the exact same file! :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you trying to compare against a reference track or against the 'electronic' preset in true balance? At the moment, the preset is active, the loaded reference track is not.

What does the spectrum window in AB look like? (assuming it's using the same reference track as the one in true balance, and TB is not using a preset)

neverbeeninariot wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:26 am Are you trying to compare against a reference track or against the 'electronic' preset in true balance? At the moment, the preset is active, the loaded reference track is not.

What does the spectrum window in AB look like? (assuming it's using the same reference track as the one in true balance, and TB is not using a preset)
Dude... thank you very much!

I had no idea that the little target to the left of the preset actually created a faint box around it, that made it active!

That needs to made a bit clearer tbh (and I'm also surprised Sonio never spotted it from my pics)

So yeah, you have fixed my problem, and I don't have to resell this at a ridiculously low price now haha

Thanks for taking the time to help me :tu:

Return to “sonible”