How do I stop Audacity scanning plugins on startup?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just want to use Audacity as a quick audio editor so don't need plugins, I have disabled all plugin formats in settings but it still insists on scanning them on startup which makes it very slow to startup. I can't see a way to disable that.

But once it's scanned them it shouldn't again? I just tried and it scanned a recetly added plugin but now just starts virtually instantly again.

Though I should look at disabling them, I find the effect implementation quite strange and buggy (preview doesn't work for me after changes etc).

Could you use a custom folder for your plugins and not "tell" Audacity where it is?

I would but I can't even see where you tell it which folder to scan (that would only work for VST2 normally anyway)

SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Plugin Manager -> Select all -> Disable

This for me prevented scans on next start up. Kinda sounds like you might have tried that though.

I did and it didn’t - which is odd

You may try this method

https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=71047
[Edit > Preferences: Effects (on the left) and uncheck "VST" under "Enable Effects" then click OK]

"VST3 Effects" should also be unchecked since most of the latest plugins are in VST3 format.

Thanks that doesn't stop it scanning when I install new plugins or updates. I just want Audacity to open fast and I don't use plugins in it - it should be possible to tell it not to scan for plugins like in most hosts

Isn't there a Cancel option when it starts this? I swear I've seen that on the Dialogue Box.

Yes there is but I’d rather prevent it in the first place

Now Audacity crashes when you cancel the scan - it used to be possible to just turn off VST fx

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:42 pm Now Audacity crashes when you cancel the scan - it used to be possible to just turn off VST fx
Go to plugin manager, select all plugins and disable them. All of them except Audacity built-in effects. At the moment nothing can prevent the scan at startup with latest Audacity version. But perhaps crashes you experience doesn't happen anymore at least. :(

UPDATE:

For Windows users seems the following procedure helpful:
https://www.reddit.com/r/audacity/comme ... _at_start/

I solved the issue on my Mac. No more plugin scan at startup at least temporarily.

You can try ...

1. Quit Audacity

2. Finder > Go to ...

Code: Select all

~/Library/Application Support/audacity/
3. Move document pluginregistry.cfg to your desktop

4. Start Audacity

5. Let Audacity scan all plugins

6. Quit Audacity again

7. Restart Audacity

8. What happens now? Better? Scan or no scan?

Mine only scans after I install new plugins. (I think) That scan box only pops up after I do.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”