Battery 4.3 keeps asking for missing samples (even when pointed to new location)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

By the way, is for either of you ASIO Guard enabled in Cubase? If yes, does disabling it make a difference (don't ask why it might...)?

Nope, no difference with AG off.

There is clearly a problem they somehow ignore for a long time as it looks. I didn't get any new messages from support either. This is a very bad experience. They must change things very soon before they lose more people. Confidence level is on rock bottom.

They should to inform their users about state of affairs and what is going to happen.

Edit: shortened this post
Last edited by mi-os on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeremy_NI pointed another thread out (from march 2022) which is the main thread for this bug:
https://community.native-instruments.co ... 4-bt4-2680

There is even a knowledge base article about it:
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... TERY-4-2-0

Agreed, abysmal handling by NI. What is a good alternative to Battery?
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

pepelogu wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:52 pm What is a good alternative to Battery?
The only alternative i'd consider is TAL Drums, but i didn't even try that yet. The problem is i don't want to move to the next plugin and see it abandoned as well. So i'm definitively not done with Battery. I think it has still a good chance for being a reliable long time solution. The question will be if Battery 5 is coming one day or what NI is going to do with it otherwise. Since Battery is based on their main product Kontakt there is a good chance for a long live of Battery too. I surely prefer a dedicated/streamlined solution like Battery as a separate plugin (instead of them adding a drum view to Kontakt for example). So i hope they don't think axing Battery would be a good idea, to me it's not.

What i miss the most with Battery 4 is round robins inside a cell. The idea to spread RR's across multiple cells is fine if it were an additional but not the sole way to do it.

They should also consider an onboard sequencer. I for one could live without one but there may be people who would totally love to have that.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:55 am Sure you can post a Live project, but please just make sure it only has Battery in them and no other audio items etc.

And all of those older projects are still Battery 4, not Battery 3?
Hi I am back from my holiday. When you open the propject it won't find the samples if your path isn't C:\Users\Public\Documents..... My path was G:\samples and is now E:\samples
But every time it is expecting it in C:\Users\Public\Documents.....

If your B4 facotry folder is C:\Users\Public\Documents.....
can you move your battery 4 library with native access to an other folder or drive. Than open battery to rescan the new library path. After that when you open my projekt point to the new folder and save ableton. If you open it again it works, but as sonn as you quit ableton and open the project again, battery is expeacting the folder C:\Users\Public\Documents again:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11V4nLs ... share_link

@sacer

Sounds like the same bug. The bug is known as BT4-2680 at NI. I updated the OP accordingly.

There is another issue or bug which could be related to state restoration problems. When opening/reopening the Battery GUI, it defaults the cell selection to the first (top/left) cell. IIRC it wasn't always this way, it should remember the last selected cell.

it would be cool if battery and kontakt could look first in the native access or linked current library path first, before showing missing samples. Some older presets have more than 5 instances of battery, so it is really driving me angry. I have this problem such a long time, that i don't like to use battery anymore, and haven't used it since last two years in new projects.

Battery seems to store absolute paths in project files. Paths of NA registered libraries or the database are only useful for listing them in Battery and to help finding missing samples or if relative paths would be saved in project files (which doesn't seem the case). But anyway Battery shouldn't do the solving (automatically or manually) more than once. They just need to fix that bug.

sacer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:57 pm it would be cool if battery and kontakt could look first in the native access or linked current library path first, before showing missing samples.
For Kontakt Player libraries this is exactly that is being done, actually. For non-Player libraries, the non-Player libraries base path is checked first (Options->Loading).

As of today no fix or further statement by NI about this. I'm slowly getting angry about this. They should talk to their customers what is when going to happen and what not.

Would love to see Battery updated sometime soon!

As I said before:

viewtopic.php?p=8599445#p8599445
viewtopic.php?p=8599473#p8599473

The situation has not changed.

dayjob wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:05 am the cubase project is irrelevant. you need to save the battery preset/patch. cubase isn't looking for the samples.. battery is what's looking for the samples..
Cubase should save the state of every instrument with the project, otherwise you'd have to go through and save a heap of instrument presets with every project, which you don't have to do at all.
pepelogu wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:52 pmAgreed, abysmal handling by NI. What is a good alternative to Battery?
Groove Agent comes with Cubase and does all the same things, plus a few others you might find useful. You can also buy it as a VSTi. Impact XT in Studio One is also pretty good. Not as full featured but it covers all the useful stuff. I've been replacing Battery with Ujam Drum VSTi but if you are loading your own samples, they won't be much good to you.
mi-os wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:03 pmBattery seems to store absolute paths in project files. Paths of NA registered libraries or the database are only useful for listing them in Battery and to help finding missing samples or if relative paths would be saved in project files (which doesn't seem the case). But anyway Battery shouldn't do the solving (automatically or manually) more than once. They just need to fix that bug.
The thing is, though, that it isn't a problem until you move to another computer, which is stupid. It knows where the samples are but it seems to refuse to even look for them. There is something weird going on that NI needs to fix.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:27 pmSo, it seems to work fine over here?
No, you did it all on the same computer. Here's what happened to me. I bought a new computer and I set it up exactly the same way my old one was set up. All my project files live on a microSD card, which I popped out of the old machine and into the new one. All my other VSTi worked perfectly - Ujam plugins found their blobs, Hexeract and Concept knew where their samples were and all my Kontakt libraries were fine. The one and only instrument that gave me even a moment's trouble was Battery and, 4 or 5 months later, it still doesn't work, no matter how many times I show it where the files are, no matter how many times I save a new kit preset or do anything else.

It's so bad that even closing the Battery window and re-opening it will cause it to drop all the samples and show the missing samples dialog again. It can't even save the preset correctly. The kit I save has a few samples swapped around from the factory preset but whenever I open that kit from file, it always defaults to the standard preset layout for that kit and I have to manually swap those samples. Every time. OTOH, I have had no problems at all with new instances of Battery I have added on the new machine, it only has a problem with projects from my old computers.

Interestingly, the fix linked in the OP's first post outlines a procedure I have worked out for myself, although I have since discovered a better one - replace Battery with something that actually f**king works!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”