Drum Loop Slicing Question

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I asked this in a separate thread so I’ll just copy and paste:

Just trying out the demo for TAL sampler…. does anyone know if there’s a way to remain zoomed in on the waveform while slicing up drum loops?

I like to zoom in for more accuracy but find that with every slice (or mouse click) the waveform zooms out and I then have to zoom in again, as opposed to just nudging the waveform.

Is there a way to disable this auto zooming out when slicing? Would make the process quicker

I never use the slice function so I'll leave it for someone else to comment on that but I'll pass the query on to Patrick at TAL too. It definitely makes sense for the zoom level to stay the same.
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

Here, on Win10 .clap - it only zooms out when double-clicking the waveform, otherwise slicing works as expected.

What I did notice though is that the waveform navigator is locked when Add Slice is enabled, meaning that you can't scroll thru the waveform to the next slice point; effectively you need to zoom out and back in again... Would be very useful to not disable the navigator in slice mode : )

<edit>
Wrong plugin, correction below : )
Last edited by neverbeeninariot on Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neverbeeninariot wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:43 pm Here, on Win10 .clap - it only zooms out when double-clicking the waveform, otherwise slicing works as expected.

What I did notice though is that the waveform navigator is locked when Add Slice is enabled, meaning that you can't scroll thru the waveform to the next slice point; effectively you need to zoom out and back in again... Would be very useful to not disable the navigator in slice mode : )
Are you talking about TAL Drum or TAL Sampler? I noticed this behaviour in TAL Drum. I'm not sure about TAL Sampler because the slicing in that plugin seems complicated enough that I will need to RTFM before I can hope to accomplish anything.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:19 pm
neverbeeninariot wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:43 pm Here, on Win10 .clap - it only zooms out when double-clicking the waveform, otherwise slicing works as expected.

Are you talking about TAL Drum or TAL Sampler? I noticed this behaviour in TAL Drum. I'm not sure about TAL Sampler because the slicing in that plugin seems complicated enough that I will need to RTFM before I can hope to accomplish anything.
Aye, I was indeed talking about Tal-Drum after failing to read the OP correctly [sigh]. What can I say, nurse forgot to give me my meds today... :dog: Apologies for the confusion!

But, after re-testing the correct plugin, I can confirm the behaviour in Sampler, and yes it would speed up the process if it didn't zoom out after creating each slice : )

at this stage it's been corrected (update not released yet) so it keeps the zoom level and snaps the view to the current slice, I've suggested to Patrick it might be best all round if it doesn't do anything but just lets you decide. Thoughts?
emptyvessel
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.

EmptyVessel wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:03 am at this stage it's been corrected (update not released yet) so it keeps the zoom level and snaps the view to the current slice, I've suggested to Patrick it might be best all round if it doesn't do anything but just lets you decide. Thoughts?
I can't imagine wanting "add slice" to do anything more than "add slice" but maybe that's only me. No zoom; no snap; no pfaff about; just add a slice.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

What would snapping the view after adding a slice actually do? We don't have that behaviour at the moment so it's difficult to say if it would be useful or not.

For speed, I really just want to add a slice and then manually slide over to the next slice position without having the waveform view change automatically.

neverbeeninariot wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:57 am What would snapping the view after adding a slice actually do? We don't have that behaviour at the moment so it's difficult to say if it would be useful or not.

For speed, I really just want to add a slice and then manually slide over to the next slice position without having the waveform view change automatically.
+ 1

Better to scroll across and/or zoom out yourself

yeah I couldn't imagine how it would help either without trying it :) I discussed it with Patrick and he's leaving it with doing nothing at all once you add the slice. Will be in the next update, I'll try and remember to post here when it's out but keep an eye on the TAL Twitter or my Twitter too (https://twitter.com/emptyvesselnz), I try and make sure updates are announced if Patrick forgets to do it.
Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts.
emptyvessel

Thanks, EV :tu:

neverbeeninariot wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:25 pm Thanks, EV :tu:
hey no worries, glad to help! I wish we had a bigger team so we could implement this stuff faster but we'll get there and it's pretty cool that Patrick is doing all of this stuff himself. Kinda keeps the vision of the products pure and not driven by investors, accountants and marketing teams :)
emptyvessel

Boom.

Version 4.2.6 / 23.01.2023
* Hanging note problem when number of voices change fixed.
* "Save samples and preset to folder.." fixed.
* Zoom reset after slicing fixed.
* Minor fixes.

neverbeeninariot wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:39 pm Boom.

Version 4.2.6 / 23.01.2023
* Hanging note problem when number of voices change fixed.
* "Save samples and preset to folder.." fixed.
* Zoom reset after slicing fixed.
* Minor fixes.
Wish TAL would send out an email for these updates, I just happened to see this post this morning but probably would have missed it otherwise. How hard is it to send out update emails to a distribution list? Other developers have no problem with it.

TAL updates can be frequent at times. How often and how many email notifications would you be comfortable with?

If it was one email, per product, per update, I'd be inundated... but if it was a weekly summary with all product updates in the same email, then I could live with that.

Return to “TAL Software”