Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

No MPE?

OMG! Twin 3 does not have ALL the same features of every other synth I know about. DELETE!!!
Last edited by teilo on Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pierb wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:44 pm
rezoneight wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:02 pm What features is it lacking for what is is?
Even considering the concept of "a very simple subtractive synth that sounds great" it's still lacking.
Is it? Has a lot more features than my Subsequent 37. Not sure anyone would say that one is lacking for what it is ;)

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:24 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:49 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:35 pm
dangayle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:10 pm
SamDi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:05 pm Timeless then is a plugin, where I already think it's relatively challenging to use. With the modulation system you can implement stuff as flutter or ducking, but you have already fairly to know, what you do.

Is the modulation system similar as in Saturn or Timeless?
Out of all their new releases, Timeless is easily the worst one. It _sounds_ incredible and you can get some fantastic results, but unless you use it every day you're gonna open it and have to take a minute to figure out how to get where you want to go. The interface on that is the least intuitive of any delay plugin on the market, and I mean it.
I use it every day. Well nearly.
I find stuff i need superfast. I love the GUI. Best Delay GUI for me :D

V2 for me was a disaster to the point that i never even bothered to use it.

Funny how polarizing timeless3 GUI is tho. People either love it or hate it.
Yep. I’m in the process of selling it. I dislike it. Much faster/better with Valhalla Delay- can add EQ or filter as needed. I never have needed the full depth of Timeless3 in a delay. But some people clearly also love it.

As a pro Ux person… it’s just not a good UX for non-sound designers. It makes the hard stuff easier and the easy stuff harder.

But I like Saturn 2 and Volcano 3. I’ll try this one, too.
What about UX do you think is a misfire?
Tiny elements to target. Hard to read elements. Etc. Just compare it vs. using Valhalla Delay and it's pretty clear that Valhalla Delay is far, far easier to get going as a delay of basic to modest complexity. To date, that's what I gravitate toward using - I don't use complex delays.

Clearly Timeless 3 can go a lot deeper than Valhalla Delay.

But that's what I'm talking about - so much of the UI is dedicated to doing amazing, complex things that the basics are too deprioritized for me.

teilo wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:50 pm OMG! Twin 3 does not have ALL the same features of every other synth I know about. DELETE!!!
Would seem that some folks expected some huge rewrite with tons of new features (and sounds like under the covers it was a pretty large rewrite). Not sure WHY this was expected as that doesn't seem to be the way FF works. Looking at all of the recently updated stuff its all evolutionary (Volcano, Saturn, Timeless being what I'm referring to).

So dunno. Clearly it wasn't/isn't everyone's cup of tea. I like it and at $45 was a no-brainer update.
Last edited by rezoneight on Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Once you learn their new UI language, it's just not a problem. It's fast, efficient, and flexible. You know, just like an expert's tool should be. And that is what this is. An expert's tool. And one with a fairly shallow learning curve at that.

I'm glad FF is innovating in UI design. Most devs just follow the same hardware-driven design UI because it's the path of least resistance. But this is software, and a software UI should take advantage of what's possible in the box to improve workflow.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:54 pm
Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:24 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:49 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:35 pm
dangayle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:10 pm
SamDi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:05 pm Timeless then is a plugin, where I already think it's relatively challenging to use. With the modulation system you can implement stuff as flutter or ducking, but you have already fairly to know, what you do.

Is the modulation system similar as in Saturn or Timeless?
Out of all their new releases, Timeless is easily the worst one. It _sounds_ incredible and you can get some fantastic results, but unless you use it every day you're gonna open it and have to take a minute to figure out how to get where you want to go. The interface on that is the least intuitive of any delay plugin on the market, and I mean it.
I use it every day. Well nearly.
I find stuff i need superfast. I love the GUI. Best Delay GUI for me :D

V2 for me was a disaster to the point that i never even bothered to use it.

Funny how polarizing timeless3 GUI is tho. People either love it or hate it.
Yep. I’m in the process of selling it. I dislike it. Much faster/better with Valhalla Delay- can add EQ or filter as needed. I never have needed the full depth of Timeless3 in a delay. But some people clearly also love it.

As a pro Ux person… it’s just not a good UX for non-sound designers. It makes the hard stuff easier and the easy stuff harder.

But I like Saturn 2 and Volcano 3. I’ll try this one, too.
What about UX do you think is a misfire?
Tiny elements to target. Hard to read elements. Etc. Just compare it vs. using Valhalla Delay and it's pretty clear that Valhalla Delay is far, far easier to get going as a delay of basic to modest complexity. To date, that's what I gravitate toward using - I don't use complex delays.

Clearly Timeless 3 can go a lot deeper than Valhalla Delay.

But that's what I'm talking about - so much of the UI is dedicated to doing amazing, complex things that the basics are too deprioritized for me.
I see!
I have 3 vallhallas (vvv, room, plate). I did try delay and it's great but one things irks me:
it's a field of similarly shaped and coloured knobs.
I prefer plugins with some visual distinction i find it i can navigate them quicker than a "field of knobs" type plugins. But I stare into my screen like a crazy shrimp, that's why smaller elements don't bother me (yet). It's a bad habit anyway

one thing i did notice is they seem to take themselves quite literally lately
Timeless3 has a huge filter display
Twin3 has a huge filter display
even the delay filter of Twin3 is huge.

Sounds better than Diva

simmo75 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:48 pmNo MPE?
First thing I checked...only buying MPE synths 'these days' :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

cute little synth
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Yes, the UI will take some getting used to, but what I like so far is the the Arp latch mode 'held'. The envelope follower, using a side chain to controller whatever. The general sound is good & the twin ring mods are nice addition also.
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

I like it and its similar to native instruments form . The gui

I don't have any fab filter stuff- I don't get on with the GUI's, tiny text and pop up stuff- shame as its good quality.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

rezoneight wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:02 pm
Lbdunequest wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:49 pm Sounds very good, but feature wise it lacks a little bit
What features is it lacking for what is is? I know others have put some nice-to-haves but this is not intended to be a Phaseplant, or Icarus, or Vital, etc. They kept it true to what it has always been while adding some more features and making it sound better.
1. Crossmodulation. Right now it has but you cannot control the depth of it so its very just on or off.
2. Filter FX.
3. More FX Types like distortions, Chorus types
4. Lack of EQ
5. No global destination like pitch, osc volume
6. No mod matrix where you could configure all the depth and destinations

And this is personal and objective - not a fan of the filters :)

Asking price is quite high i think for what it offers. But i have to give it a big pro, user interface - wow - love it. Fast graphics, easy, intuitive. Love it really. One of the best looking synths.

SLiC wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:25 pm I don't have any fab filter stuff- I don't get on with the GUI's, tiny text and pop up stuff- shame as its good quality.
You can scale the Twin3 interface - not just make it larger. For me, they've "fixed" that issue that was most prominent in Timeless3.

Return to “Instruments”