Laptop or Macbook? Always been a Desktop user, apple scares me

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is no point in talking about older versions of computers whether intel or mac. Does not help here.
But there is something new in the M1, M2 mac performances, (and PC also) which we have to accept.
An equivalent PC notebook of the high end mac is also expensive, but more noisy.
Just like you do not operate a PC notebook to the extreme, you also do not operate the Mac to the extreme.
The noise issue is thus immaterial.
The accessories to Mac are very expensive but there are some lower priced versions available if you look for it.
Still these accessories are more expensive than the PC counterparts.
One plus point to Mac is it is almost free free from virus.
The main minus point is, it is not ugradable for now.
Apple might release a new computer with user replaceable SSD or RAM version later, which nobody know for now.
If the OP also wants to try Logic Pro, then Mac is a good choice with higher initial cost, and should last for many years.
Refurbished versions are available from Apple, for those who want to save money.
BTW, I do not own any MAC
Regards.
maanga

Soldered Ram and Soldered SSD ... Nope .

maanga wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:27 am The noise issue is thus immaterial.
I have a doubt on that. I was having a very high-end razer from 2020 and thermals and fan noise were a real concern.
I live in a country where you need aircon all the year. My razer was way louder.

Now I can understand that it was having a big gpu, that wasn't maybe a very smart move, I can also accept that it was 2020 and that 2023 is better (but I doubt because my cpu was an i7 45w and when I google, new cpu are also 45w).

I also doubt that we don't use pc to the max, mine was always beyond 80% cpu.

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:57 am My direct, first-hand experience with this says it's better on Windows than it is on Mac. At least that was the case 5 or 6 years ago when I was last working on a Mac with a 4k display. If anything, it is more likely Windows has improved more than macOS in that time but when we got 4k monitors for our MacPros, the log-in screen was so small it was almost impossible to find the mouse cursor. it was unbelievably frustrating. And we had lots of issues with scaling in Photoshop, which made it difficult to do good work. I've never experienced either of those things working on 4k monitors with PC workstations running Win10.
You're so wrong I don't even feel the need to explain. Since, from what I've gathered, you work for a company dealing with design & graphics stuff, I'm baffled at everything you say about, well... graphics... the very thing you're supposed to know stuff about
The Log in screen was small? Seriously?
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:52 pm You're so wrong I don't even feel the need to explain. Since, from what I've gathered, you work for a company dealing with design & graphics stuff, I'm baffled at everything you say about, well... graphics... the very thing you're supposed to know stuff about
The Log in screen was small? Seriously?
If you read the beginning of the discussion, the same person was mixing 4K and HD in scaling issues...
So, like you, I didn't feel the need to explain :party: .

Jac459 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:09 pm So, like you, I didn't feel the need to explain :party: .
We don't. *fistbump

It's sad actually... I wouldn't trust a company dealing with Graphics stuff who could not tell the difference between low and high resolution screens.

On screen resolution:

I’ve got an M1 MBP which has, I believe, a 5k screen. I want to get an external monitor.

Any issues likely if I get a 4k rather than 5k one, as they’re cheaper and more widespread?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:34 am On screen resolution:

I’ve got an M1 MBP which has, I believe, a 5k screen. I want to get an external monitor.

Any issues likely if I get a 4k rather than 5k one, as they’re cheaper and more widespread?
4k is 3840*2160, MBP M1 16inch are 3456*2234 (with ridiculous Liquid Retina marketing name, (I hope my retinas never become liquid, wtf)) so basically a bit less than 4k...

Yet your m1 can output better resolution:
"The HDMI and Thunderbolt ports on your 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro support video output. You can connect up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz (Apple M1 Pro) or up to three external displays with up to 6K resolution and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz (Apple M1 Max)."
60Hz to to work is perfect, you don't need more (except if you are competitive gaming and then you shouldn't have a Mac).

Jac459 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:59 am
revvy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:34 am On screen resolution:

4k is 3840*2160, MBP M1 16inch are 3456*2234 (with ridiculous Liquid Retina marketing name, (I hope my retinas never become liquid, wtf)) so basically a bit less than 4k...

Yet your m1 can output better resolution:
"The HDMI and Thunderbolt ports on your 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro support video output. You can connect up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz (Apple M1 Pro) or up to three external displays with up to 6K resolution and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz (Apple M1 Max)."
60Hz to to work is perfect, you don't need more (except if you are competitive gaming and then you shouldn't have a Mac).
Cheers for the reply.

So, in short, 4k at 60 hz is fine, right? (Your reply started to confuse me at tue end)

(I’m shit at games so never play them)
Last edited by revvy on Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

4k at 60hz is perfect, you will be fine.
If you are not very much into these technologies, I really advise you OLED if you want pitch-black blacks and awesome contrast (I mean 4k, 60hz, oled).
My lady bought a curved screen and is not so impressed with it.

Jac459 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:09 am 4k at 60hz is perfect, you will be fine.
If you are not very much into these technologies, I really advise you OLED if you want pitch-black blacks and awesome contrast (I mean 4k, 60hz, oled).
My lady bought a curved screen and is not so impressed with it.
Thanks. Nice.

Not so into visual technologies, no, audio and general use only, so I just want an affordable but good quality solution. Will avoid curved screens for aesthetic reasons, they look weird to me unless they’re the absurdly large ones I don’t have space for anyway.

Sounds good to me ! Happy purchase !

In terms of brand, I can't really advise you any, in South-East Asia, Prism is famous to have the best quality/price ratio but I don't know if it is available in US or Europe.

Jac459 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:16 am Sounds good to me ! Happy purchase !

In terms of brand, I can't really advise you any, in South-East Asia, Prism is famous to have the best quality/price ratio but I don't know if it is available in US or Europe.
What part of South East Asia are you in?

In Singapore. Fantastic place but the musical scene... weaker than weak... I am not asian though...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”