TAL-Drum: add a sequencer

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A sequencer in TAL-Drum would be fantastic... Hope that TAL will do it

Yes please
Last edited by seangm on Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I know it's been mentioned before and decided against, but I think a relatively simple pattern based sequencer would fit the 'good old days' vibe that's so attractive about both Drum and Sampler. For more complicated beats, sure a DAW is probably best, but for getting a quick beat together when inspiration strikes, an all-in-one TAL Drum package would be great IMHO.

yeah it's been discussed and it was agonised over during development and...we decided against it. The last time I discussed it with Patrick there were no plans to add it. fwiw I was involved in the development of Xils Lab StiX too and there was a big push to add a sequencer to that and it was an extremely non-trivial thing to include. I never ever use it because it's just much easier to do it in the DAW where I'm used to the workflow.
I used to use the original FXPansion Geist sequencer because it did some clever things that (at the time anyway) Reaper didn't do but I feel with the state of most modern DAWs now there's not much argument (IMO) for sequencers within plugins. Maybe with plugins that also have a standalone mode it makes a lot of sense. With a VST you could hook up a pad controller, hit record in the DAW and capture any inspiration pretty quickly.
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

carla wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:41 am A sequencer in TAL-Drum would be fantastic... Hope that TAL will do it
I agree

skippy63 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:00 pm
carla wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:41 am A sequencer in TAL-Drum would be fantastic... Hope that TAL will do it
I agree
also agree

If you want a simple pattern sequencer, your DAW's midi editor is a much better and more flexible place to work.

Adding a sequencer to a drum plugin only makes sense if the functionality far exceeds what you can do easily in the DAW; Pattern randomisation, polymeters, pan/pitch/probability/etc per hit, pattern chaining, etc. You get the idea - think SB Drum Computer, or Geist 2 - This would be worthwhile, at least for the users, but if I was the dev, I'd be thinking seriously about the development effort Vs the return on that effort. As EV noted above, it is a non-trivial piece of work, and TAL (afaik) is a one-man dev team with a growing catalogue to maintain.

That's not too say that I wouldn't want to see a full-fat, balls-out, kitchen sink, batteries included sequencer because I think it would be truly awesome, however I also think that it's very, very unlikely to happen and I'm fine with that. At the same time, I really don't see the point in adding something that's trivially reproducible in the DAW.

everyone has different work flows. one of those workflows is using internal sequencers. there is no “better way” when creating. it’s flow. it’s wonderful that you have a flow that works for you. i’d like a sequencer.

I would much prefer to see sound design and sampling features prioritized over an internal sequencer. I have so many midi sequencers I can quickly hook up. Just to add to the conversation 🙂

I'm definitely one who would like a drum sequencer in TAL Drum.

please no sequencer, keep it simple, with low cpu
Processor AMD PRO A10-8750B R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (30.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

https://soundclick.com/guerillagenus

frankpain wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:33 am please no sequencer, keep it simple, with low cpu
I agree. I own Tal Drum. No sequencer please. There are enough sequencers. Make Tal Sequencer as a polymetric probability seperate plugin.

frankpain wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:33 am please no sequencer, keep it simple, with low cpu
So we need a sequencer in Tal-Drum that can be collapsed in the GUI and then does not have an effect on the CPU usage. One that has to be turned on manually, and is off by default maybe.

Schnickschnack wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:46 pm
So we need a sequencer in Tal-Drum that can be collapsed in the GUI and then does not have an effect on the CPU usage. One that has to be turned on manually, and is off by default maybe.
I'd like a sequencer on Tal-Drum but I understand that some people don't so I think your solution works for both.

I'm more about doing it in the DAW, but an internal sequencer can have advantages (e.g. easy step control over pitch, and pan, etc...).

Lets pretend for a minute that a sequencer is going to be added. What features would be essential, what would be nice extras, and what would be gravy on top?

Personally, if it's not Geist2 level sequencing, I'll probably be disappointed :)

Return to “TAL Software”