List of MPE Hardware Synthesizers

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I changed the status of the Axoloti Core from released to discontinued, as I have not seen it restocked for several months now since I have started this list.

The Aodyo Anyma Omega Desktop and Keyboard's URLs now point to a placeholder product page on the official website.

I added the Striso Musical Instruments Striso as an entry into the Desktop list, and marked its status as released. Like the Artiphon Orba, Orba 2, and Chorda mentioned in a recent post, it has its own internal MPE synthesizer. There are a few ROLI products that also share this attribute so I will eventually add them in a later update.

I also changed the names of two synthesizers, the GS e7 and GR-1, to their short form since having the word "synthesizer" is redundant in this thread. The GS e7's entry now reflects its manufacturer, GS Music.

Lastly, I edited Fred's Lab Manatee's URL to the new product page.

I have added the Modal Electronics CARBON8 as an entry into the Keyboard list, and marked its status as unreleased. I contacted Modal Electronics over the weekend about whether or not it will support MPE upon its estimated release in September 2023, and Barry Neilsen replied back with this response:
Hi Frank

Thanks for contacting Modal Support. Yes, Carbon 8 will support MPE when it is released.
Also, I have added the OXI Instruments OXI Coral as an entry into the Modules list, and marked its status as WIP. I contacted OXI Instruments over the weekend about whether or not it will support MPE, and Manuel Vázquez replied back with this response:
Hello Frank,

MPE will be added in the near term. Please join us in our Media channels to keep you posted.
Coral with MPE would be an even cooler product!

Best regards,

Manuel
OXI Instruments
I will make time to add the ROLI products with embedded MPE synthesizers sometime soon this week.

I have added the ROLI Seaboard GRAND Limited First Edition, Stage, and Studio as entries into the Keyboard list, and marked their statuses as discontinued. Each of them contain an embedded version of Equator.

The Sequential Trigon-6 Desktop has been announced, including MPE support in its firmware and MPE support also being added to the existing Trigon-6 keyboard models firmware. I dont think I've seen signs of the firmware being available for download just yet though.

SteveElbows wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:10 pm The Sequential Trigon-6 Desktop has been announced, including MPE support in its firmware and MPE support also being added to the existing Trigon-6 keyboard models firmware. I dont think I've seen signs of the firmware being available for download just yet though.
I think this as close of a machine as we're going to see to the Memorymoog. Three oscillators, brutal filter etc. I'm selling my Xpander in the next couple months and I'm tempted to buy this to A/B with the Memorymoog. if it's close I'll probably sell the Moog. It's been great, but every couple years it needs repair and the guy who can fix it locally takes 6 months every time. Plus MPE. :)

The Trigon 6 firmware with MPE support is available now, but I dont think I've seen any updated documentation yet. Maybe safe to presume that its implemented in the same way as their other MPE synths, eg limited MPE Y CC74 destinations that can only be set on a global basis, but nice access to pressure MPE Z mapping via the aftertouch section on the synth.

SteveElbows wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:22 pm The Trigon 6 firmware with MPE support is available now, but I dont think I've seen any updated documentation yet. Maybe safe to presume that its implemented in the same way as their other MPE synths, eg limited MPE Y CC74 destinations that can only be set on a global basis, but nice access to pressure MPE Z mapping via the aftertouch section on the synth.
The manuals themselves are not updated just yet, but more specific details of the MPE implementation are provided in the Trigon-6 OS 1.1.1 Addendum. I will quote the first paragraph referencing MPE support:
MPE Support

The Trigon-6 now responds to MIDI Polyphonic Expression. Although the Trigon-6 doesn’t
output MPE from its own keyboard, you can connect an MPE driven controller such as the
LinnStrument via MIDI to control the Trigon-6. This opens up a new realm of expressive
possibilities including polyphonic pitch bends, filter sweeps, volume swells, and more.
I have added the Trigon-6 Desktop Module as an entry into the Desktop list, and marked its status as released. I have also added the Trigon-6 as an entry into the Keyboard list, and marked its status as released.

Special thanks to "Steve Elbows" for their generous contribution to this thread.

No problem, thanks for maintaining the list.

The Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave firmware 1.5 update with MPE support is now available too:

https://www.groovesynthesis.com/support/

SteveElbows wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:53 am No problem, thanks for maintaining the list.

The Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave firmware 1.5 update with MPE support is now available too:

https://www.groovesynthesis.com/support/
Excellent work, here is a very similar paragraph to the Sequential Trigon-6 that Groove Synthesis wrote in their addendum:
MPE Support
The 3rd Wave now responds to MIDI Polyphonic Expression (MPE). Although
the 3rd Wave doesn’t output MPE from its own keyboard, you can connect an
MPE-capable MIDI controller such as the Expressive E Osmose to control the 3rd
Wave. This opens up a new realm of expressive possibilities including polyphonic
pitch bends, filter sweeps, volume swells, and more.
I have changed the status of the Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave from WIP to released.

Isn't the novation peak mpe compatible ?

edit : seems not, only polyat compatible... Too bad

I am aware there is a new Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave in a desktop form-factor, and the Neuzeit Instruments Warp Eurorack module has MPE compatibility with the WarpEx Expander, but I have not had time to add either of them yet into this thread; give me a day or two to review them along with the entire post.

I must say, this list helped me locate perhaps my favorite synth in life, so far. Not that I own many hardware synths, but I do have a couple.

I understand the power and broad capabilities of things like the Iridium synth, but... Beetlecrab's Vector synth is something that finds my heart, if you know what I mean. The character of sound that comes from this synth - the warm, wide, cascading sounds and hypnotic droning noises it makes - are "up my alley." Absynth and Plasmonic are software synths that also hit me in my heart.

If not for this list, I probably never would have seen the Vector. Thank you! And thank you for continuing to update this!

Milkman wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:53 am I must say, this list helped me locate perhaps my favorite synth in life, so far. Not that I own many hardware synths, but I do have a couple.

I understand the power and broad capabilities of things like the Iridium synth, but... Beetlecrab's Vector synth is something that finds my heart, if you know what I mean. The character of sound that comes from this synth - the warm, wide, cascading sounds and hypnotic droning noises it makes - are "up my alley." Absynth and Plasmonic are software synths that also hit me in my heart.

If not for this list, I probably never would have seen the Vector. Thank you! And thank you for continuing to update this!
I am glad my contribution has helped you find a MPE hardware synthesizer that resonated with you.

To simplify updates going forward, I will condense them into lists instead.

New entries:
  • [Desktop] Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave Desktop - Unreleased (ETA November 2023)
  • [Module] Neuzeit Instruments Warp with WarpEx - Released
Status updates:
  • [Other] Artiphon Chorda - Unreleased to Preorder
  • [Keyboard] Modal Electronics CARBON8 - Unreleased to Preorder

Status update:
  • [Desktop] Isla Instruments Caladan - Unreleased to Preorder

Return to “Roger Linn Design”