List of MPE Hardware Synthesizers

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a list of MPE hardware synthesizers, sorted in alphabetical order by form factor and accompanied with their product status; multi-timbral hardware synthesizers are excluded.

Sourced from Keith McMillen Instruments, KVR Audio, Poly ExpressionRoger Linn Design, ROLI, and Synth Anatomy, as well as my own research. If the list is missing something, and/or has any errors, please inform me via PM or reply to this thread.

Desktop: Keyboard: Module: Rack: Other:
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Tue May 07, 2024 5:14 pm, edited 65 times in total.

Hi FranklyFlawless,

Thanks for creating this very thorough list. Given that I had stopped updating the list of MPE synths on the Recommended Sounds page, I've replaced the previous and outdated contents of the "Hardware MPE" tab with your list, and credited you for your contribution. Thanks again.

Sure Roger. If I update the list to change any information, I will post a reply in this thread detailing the changes made.
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks much.

I'd like to contribute my MPE 'compatibility' list. I started with a hydrasynth keyboard, a synthstrom deluge, and a digitone and then since getting the linnstrument I've bought every MPE supporting synth that pops up on my local kijiji. I have yet to find one that actually supports the full MPE standard, the best support I've found so far is the Modal Skulpt but I wasn't a fan of its filter

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Columns are somewhat self explanatory but here's my explanation for each of them:
NotePerCh - it has some way to receive each note on a seperate midi channel
Basic MPE - it supports channel 1 master and notes on channels 2-7. Each note has 3 dimensions of control
Upper zone - it supports channel 16 master and notes on channels 9-15
CC74 - it supports CC74 so I can still use a separate mod wheel
Config message - it supports the MPE config message to automatically set number of channels and pitch bend range
Channel filter - it can use less than a full 8 channel MPE zone
Duplicate notes - if you send it the same note twice and release one, the other should keep sounding. This seems to be a common bug
Built in keyboard resets MPE - whether the built in keyboard (if any) sends an MPE x/y/z value with a note on. Otherwise it becomes unusable if you mix the linnstrument with the built in keyboard. For example if I play a bendy line on the linnstrument to the hydrasynth and then later play with the built in keyboard it'll all be out of tune

I'm happy to throw in any other synths that people have tested! I'm particularly interested in the sequential stuff and the dreadbox nymphes since I'm looking for an analog polysynth

I already have all of the synthesizers on your list mentioned on this thread except the Elektron Digitone, and for good reason. It does not actually implement MPE. However, I appreciate the detailed spreadsheet.

I still have the MicroMonsta 2 and Deluge, but prefer the latter. My interest is strictly on the desktop form factor, as keyboards are redundant, racks are bulky, and modules can get messy. After getting the Deluge though, I do not see anything replacing it anytime soon.

t-IB was mentioning their recent experience with the Nymphes on the New MPE Synths thread.
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

I (and a couple others on the forum I think) have the Modor nf1m, and other than duplicate notes and the MPE config message (which I haven't tested) I think it checks off all the columns of your list.

wakyct wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:05 pm I (and a couple others on the forum I think) have the Modor nf1m, and other than duplicate notes and the MPE config message (which I haven't tested) I think it checks off all the columns of your list.
Just added it! thanks

FranklyFlawless wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:27 pm I already have all of the synthesizers on your list mentioned on this thread except the Elektron Digitone, and for good reason. It does not actually implement MPE. However, I appreciate the detailed spreadsheet.

I still have the MicroMonsta 2 and Deluge, but prefer the latter. My interest is strictly on the desktop form factor, as keyboards are redundant, racks are bulky, and modules can get messy. After getting the Deluge though, I do not see anything replacing it anytime soon.

t-IB was mentioning their recent experience with the Nymphes on the New MPE Synths thread.
yeah your list is great! Just sharing since I've found that actual MPE implementation varies a lot between manufacturers. The digitone is sort of my threshold - I definitely wouldn't use a synth where each layer needs to be edited seperately, but being able to tweak each track on the digitone at once is simple enough that I do use it as an MPEish synth sometimes

I prefer the micromonsta 2 sound to the deluge but it's pretty close. I like the deluge best as a sequencer and drum machine though, making a synth patch from scratch is fine but I find editing an old one and trying to figure out everything that's going on pretty frustrating.

DarkenedMonastery wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:10 pm I prefer the micromonsta 2 sound to the deluge but it's pretty close. I like the deluge best as a sequencer and drum machine though, making a synth patch from scratch is fine but I find editing an old one and trying to figure out everything that's going on pretty frustrating.
Had my Deluge (thanks on large part to Frank's recommendation) for a few months now and I love it -- so much that I've pretty much dropped my Linnstrument exploration for the moment since I can only focus on one thing at a time and this thing is deep! I'm just getting comfortable enough with it now to return to Linnstrument world more.

Totally agree about frustration factor in changing existing synth patches. This is made more annoying by the fact that Deluge has a really different approach to MPE patch design then I do .. the built in patches sound and play ok, but for example I prefer to use filter cutoff when possible for pressure since it doesn't just very loudness but fullness which I think gives a more natural feel. Then I'll map Y to something else. But ... with Deluge it's impossible to know what else is mapped to Y .. you can see what sources effect a given target but you can't see what targets a given source has!

Of course the greatest thing about the Deluge is how well it matches the Linnstrument, both in size and also down to the black case, simple printing, silicon buttons and walnut sides!

BTW, can strongly recommend the Deluge discord, great group of folks. I just posted Roger's note about Linnstruments being available and discounted (!) and a lot of folks were expressing some serious GAS attacks. So maybe we'll see more deluged people here.

MilesParker wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:17 am I just posted Roger's note about Linnstruments being available and discounted (!) and a lot of folks were expressing some serious GAS attacks.
In case anyone may be confused by Miles’ post above, I think he made an honest mistake in accidentally conflating two announcements that were in my recent newsletter:

1) LinnStruments are in stock and ready to ship at my online store.

2) Jordan Rudess’ Wizdom Music is offering a 20% discount on a bundle of 11 of its GeoSWAM instruments for its GeoShred app, reducing the normal $120 price to $95:
https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... ls-geoswam

It seems that Haken Audio ContinuuMini is missing on the list.
https://www.hakenaudio.com/continuumini/

Edit: And their line of Continuums too?

They are missing because I deliberately chose to draw a line for MPE controllers, otherwise I would have listed the Expressive E Osmose as well. I have an unpublished but comprehensive list of MPE controllers and even some DIY Sensel Morph projects, but I do not know if Roger would approve of such content being hosted on the forum board, so I have withheld its release.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:48 am They are missing because I deliberately chose to draw a line for MPE controllers, otherwise I would have listed the Expressive E Osmose as well. I have an unpublished but comprehensive list of MPE controllers and even some DIY Sensel Morph projects, but I do not know if Roger would approve of such content being hosted on the forum board, so I have withheld its release.
Thank you for your consideration, Frank. It’s fine with me to publish your list of MPE controllers here. In fact, I used to have my own list on my site but it was one of many pages that didn’t survive the cut when I had to build my new site some years back. I invite your list and any discussions of the relative merits of each instrument. My feeling is that the expressive instrument makers aren’t competing with each other but rather we all share a common goal of ridding the musical instrument world of on/off switches. A rising tide raises all boats.

You mean this list? If so, I will make time to compare and contrast it with the one I have, and prepare a release for my list in a separate thread in the near future.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”