Altitude — Advanced Hybrid Synthesis Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Altitude

One personal opinion on price/price policy/marketing. In the "good old days" there would have been an option to buy before it is even out, then intro, then regular and then loooong time before sale.

This is absolutely corrupted these days, often you get a sale with half intro prize within weaks and from the usual big sales sites. I personally hate that but its the sign of the time.

But what I would want is honest clearness about that.

Lately a develloper took a new strategy that is completely inside this new way but HONEST. He sells it first on one of these sales platforms for low intro prize and then coming back to regular after some time on his site. So you can at least be sure you wont get it cheaper for a long time. Of course this depends if you only sale on your own platform or take these big sale platforms with these insane sales into account.

Price itself is really difficult these days with definitely more great stuff out then buyers for it.

One late personal decision: great update for a great synth for 75 bucks but I decided for myself that its just too much compared to what is out there and that I already have a working version and so many other stuff.

I dont think that you will get much sales with an intro > 100 bucks these days. Of course depends on (really showcasing evrything whats important) availability of a demo. On the other hand something < 50 bucks wont get your cost if you dont use these big sellers.

I really wonder how something like Sektor from Initial audio had made his money compared to cost. Sold very cheap very often evrywhere and nearly never to the "original" price but still gets updates and devellopment. Maybe something to get attraction for the company but if it pays for itself would be a comparision maybe.

As 200 Mb of included samples does not sound that much these days maybe expansion are an option for steady money coming in ? Like the way audiomodern did for his drum/loop plugins with small sometimes free sometimes payed expansions for example.

Just my 2 cents...

I like the demos, reminds me of Audjoo Helix dusty supersaw machine.
I think an elegant and sensible price would be something around 69€ in general for that kind of new wave plugins. I would forget about expansions, just the mention of this makes me cringe.

Overall this plugin seems good and useful.

nakst wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:07 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:31 pm Oh samples are time stretched? Thats great. It's something missing from many synths with sample oscillators. If there is movement or modulation in the sound, it can be important to maintain the same sample duration when playing different pitches.
Oh sorry, I think I used the wrong terminology. Both pitch and duration of the sample is changed. However, you can simulate a "multisample" by specifying the octave mapping for the sample layers.

Actual pitch stretching would be a bit too heavy on the CPU for my vision with Altitude. Its low CPU is quite a big selling point, I think. I have a test project with a bunch of instances of the plugin and it barely makes a dent in the CPU usage, even on my mobile CPU.

I need to ask my beta testers to record some performance comparisons with other synths, and then I'll post the results here.
Consider it done, extensive testing in progress :wink:

nakst wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:19 am ...
Sorry for my question, but on Apricot something get detected by antivirus. Any chance to fix that?

Thank you

nakst wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:19 am Absolutely no copy protection. The longevity of my instruments is of great importance to me, and any form of copy protection would hinder this.
Wow! That sounds really good.
nakst wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:19 am As for the cost, I am still undecided.
For a strong success I think it is vital that your synth would have really good presets and a substantial number of them. Right from the start.
Below $50 and I am suspicious: Is it any good or just cheap?
Above $100 and I have high expectations.
Above $150 it has to be super great, tons of really really good presets and the whole thing has to blow me away. Must be special and sound very good and do at least several things really special compared to what my crowded synth folder has to offer, already!

There are exceptions to low priced and high quality (e.g. ValhallaDSP and Synthmaster) but a higher price simply implies quality. There were interesting posts by Mr. Omnisphere about the pricing of Omnisphere way back then. So choose your audience! :wink:

whassup wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:05 amBelow $50 and I am suspicious: Is it any good or just cheap?
Above $100 and I have high expectations.
Above $150 it has to be super great, tons of really really good presets and the whole thing has to blow me away. Must be special and sound very good and do at least several things really special compared to what my crowded synth folder has to offer, already!

There are exceptions to low priced and high quality (e.g. ValhallaDSP and Synthmaster) but a higher price simply implies quality.
Many exceptions, in fact. Another that comes to mind straight away is Cherry Audio.

There were interesting posts by Mr. Omnisphere about the pricing of Omnisphere way back then.
To cite Tony Joe White:
That was another place and another time
8)

Frankie.T wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:50 am
Sorry for my question, but on Apricot something get detected by antivirus. Any chance to fix that?

Thank you
Unfortunately there isn't anything I can easily do about antiviruses incorrectly flagging my software. You'll have to mark the executables/DLLs as safe. If you need more help, please ask on the Apricot thread.

I'am a nakst Fanboy :D

nakst wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:07 am Actual pitch stretching would be a bit too heavy on the CPU for my vision with Altitude. Its low CPU is quite a big selling point, I think. I have a test project with a bunch of instances of the plugin and it barely makes a dent in the CPU usage, even on my mobile CPU.
Could you make pitch stretching a 'module' that could be turned on/off? (obvious I'm not a coder!)

Conversely, your super-low mini-dent cpu use implies a powerful feature could be added, and cpu use would only go from super 'low' to 'low' or 'medium'. :hyper:

Hope Altitude hits the stratosphere of user numbers!
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:09 pm Could you make pitch stretching a 'module' that could be turned on/off? (obvious I'm not a coder!)
I will look into it, possibly for a future update! But there are many things I'd like to add, so it's difficult to know how to prioritize ideas.
glokraw wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:09 pm Hope Altitude hits the stratosphere of user numbers!
Cheers
Thank you :)

tatanka wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:43 pm
There were interesting posts by Mr. Omnisphere about the pricing of Omnisphere way back then.
To cite Tony Joe White:
8)
Most instruments with a large sample library are more expensive, including Omnisphere.

I feel like pricing this around what something like Pigments would cost, maybe a bit cheaper as it’s from a new and unknown developer, would be appropriate. Maybe a release sale, but that’s it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

tatanka wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:43 pm
To cite Tony Joe White:
8)
As I dunno the sales stats of Omnisphere I can't comment on that that with real data.
And I dunno Tony Joe White. :wink:

I am looking into setting up a Discord server for discussion of Altitude (and my other audio plugins: Apricot, Fluctus, etc). How interested would people be in this?

I certainly would be interested.

Return to “Instruments”