Long shot question: How to name my classically inspired compositions?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I have spent the past few months composing an album of synthesized musical pieces inspired by the Classical Era of music. As many here will know, classical music from the 18th and early 19th centuries is sometimes said to exemplify "Absolute" music rather than the evocative styling made familiar in the Romantic Era.

I would like to name each of the songs in a traditional manner, but I am at a loss for words when it comes to labeling the musical form because these pieces are all 4 to 8 minutes long rather than long assemblages such as a multi-movement concerto.

These pieces are based on chord progressions played in the voice of a piano. Each progression is accompanied by a small to medium size ensemble of other voicings which refer to woodwinds, reeds, brass, and strings. I attempted to create dense harmonized layers in support of visceral melodies.

The songs are "studies" of orchestration and arrangement, but they are not "etudes", which I think of as meant to be played for the practice of performance technique.

I have searched through Classical Music descriptions of song forms and have found that most familiar labels describe multi-movement forms. The music I have written is not multi-movement. I suppose I could cheat and pretend like any three or four pieces are part of a sonata etc. but each one was written without anything but itself in mind, so for now I would like to name them as such.

I am writing here to ask if anyone has any suggestions for music form labels that may fit these types of pieces.

Some names that seem applicable to some of the pieces are

Miniature
Meditation
Requiem
Variations
Exposition
Bagatelle
Fantasia
Invention
Nocturne

The descriptions do not have to seem antique, they can be modern terms, as long as the names reflect the idea that the music is meant to be listened to by those with an affection for old-fashioned "absolute" music.

So for example; I have one piece that could aptly be named "Meditation No.1 in G# minor" and another might be called "Nocturne No.1 in Bb Major"

I want to avoid mentioning the instruments because I have used pure synthesis to fulfill the role that the traditional voices serve in terms of timbre and sonority. I want to sidestep any presumption that the sounds need to replicate the sonic details of the traditional acoustic counterparts. I want to let the sound speak for itself and omit any references to "piano" "strings" etc. in the names of the songs.

Do any of you theory enthusiasts have any suggestions? I figured I would ask here before I search out and sign up at some random Classical Music forum to ask this question.

Any suggestions for song form labels that describe short pieces such as I have described?

Thank you!!!

You have "Fantasia" already , so maybe "Impromptu"?
Or a play on words - you have "Bagatelle" so maybe "Carom" :)
Perhaps you could borrow some lingo from speech, like Dialogo or Risposta.
Lamento.

In the Classical era that you seem to be describing it was unusual to use programmatic titles, and compositions were typically sonatas, fantasias and variations. Variations has a specific meaning, as does sonata so you probably don't want to use those. One possibility is prelude - Chopin wrote a set for example. I think you can safely drop Requiem from your list. Dance terms like Minuet were still used too, though again these sometimes have specific meanings, e.g. time signatures.

Hi,
Thank you for considering the question and offering helpful suggestions.

One of the ideas, if understand it correctly is that the separate movements that comprise a Sonata or Concerto are often labeled to describe tempo or feel so the label for a movement in such a form can seem like an adjective rather than a noun.

It is possible that any of the songs I have written may in time become incorporated into a multi-movement sequence, but that is unlikely to happen in this round of musing.

I have been wondering what composers have called these sorts of building block compositions, and have been having little luck in finding any clear answers.

Having said that, while writing this it occurred to me that "Composition No. 1 in B minor" could be perfectly(?) suitable, or at least seemingly accurate nomenclature.

I welcome further suggestions.

Thank you!

D2sX9ek8w3 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:36 pm Having said that, while writing this it occurred to me that "Composition No. 1 in B minor" could be perfectly(?) suitable, or at least seemingly accurate nomenclature.
That sounds very 20th century - maybe you don't need to copy the classical period to such a degree, but just let yourself be inspired by it.

As to building blocks I'm not sure there is a term from the Classical period, though composers would often re-use material that they had accumulated in their notebooks. They might for example compose a Scherzo, and only later include it in a sonata or concerto.

"Scherzo": A term I was unfamiliar with. Thanks for that. That is the type of terminology I have been trying to learn about.

"Sonatina" was an example that almost seems appropriate but I do not want to affect the antique culture.

"Song" seemed inappropriate because the contemporary use of "song" seems to be inferred as light entertainment supplied with lyrics and other trappings.

"Opus", seemed appropriate as its historical meaning translates to "work", but today "Opus" is inferred as meaning something far grander than befits my simple music.

"Composition" is fairly benign and describes my sincere intent to present a piece of music at its nominal value.

Thank you for helping me think this through.

A Scherzo in the Classical period is typically a movement in a symphony, sonata, or concerto - originally it means jest/joke, but effectively means something light hearted and fast, a light entertainment in the middle of something more serious.
A sonatina is basically as you would imagine - a small sonata, but otherwise the normal 'rules' for sonata apply.
A song, or lieder, is exactly as you say - a song usually with piano accompaniment. These were handy for home entertainment amongst gifted amateurs in the days before TV!
An opus literally means a work. An opus isn't necessarily grand - it could refer to a collection of songs, or perhaps a group of piano pieces, or indeed a whole symphony. No music has 'opus' as a title - it is simply a means or referring to the published works of a composer.

You may find more fruitful ground for your needs in the language of the Romantic era - nocturnes, intermezzos, etudes, etc.

I think what would fit your description would be a concerto since it is not solo piano. Other descriptions including nocturne and requiem would depend on how the music sounds and how it is written. For example, If I heard Bagatelle, Fantasia or invention I think Bach. If nocturne, I think of Chopin and if Sonata I think of Beethoven. Each composer had his preferred style of music and so should you.

If your work in finished, sharing it would help :)

Return to “Music Theory”