Uhbiks & Apple Silicon

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How are we with the Uhbiks port to Apple Silicon now?

I could not find any info either yes or no at the website.

Last time I checked was.. I think december last year and they said it was the last bit of plugs to get ported from U-he. So im thinking 3 months, maybe something or soon? I transitioned to M1 already a year and a half ago, and now all computers here are Apple silicon. M1 mini in the studio, m2 laptop on stage etc. My studio partner also m2 laptop. We need our sweet little Uhbiks :ud:

Thing is that each plug-in maintenance cycle currently takes about a year from "let's finally do this" to "it's done". After MFM 2.5 we started doing this for Filterscape, and that is still quite a few months from completion. After Filterscape we'll do this for Uhbik.

The reasons for this are pretty diverse, from changes in staff over general code restructuring and modernisation to, well, just meeting the standards that we have set for ourselves. We currently get a lot done, but the special skills required to work on the remaining issues in these plug-ins are sparse. A lot of it is left to myself, and while I manage to delegate immense tasks to a team of 8 or so developers, I also spend a lot of time running the company. Such that, updating MFM, Filterscape and Uhbik is a very, very slow process, and unfortunately Uhbik had to be pushed to the back because it is the most complex of these.

OTOH many of the left over tasks are shared between Filterscape, Uhbik and Zebra. Like, I had to create a tool and workflow to efficiently represent EQ curves in the UI, and that took a while, and it was one of the showstoppers in Uhbik 2 alphas, but now it's in Filterscape, so it'll be a lot quicker in Uhbik and Zebra.

I do not envy running a plugin company when computer platforms, DAWs and operating systems keep on changing all the time. Fully understand its time consuming, especially when you have a lot of active plugs.

One difference between hardware and software (music gear) is that most hardware keeps on working forever, while software if not constantly updated is dependent on the computers, OS and DAWs existing at the time of its last update. So while software is cheeper it is a lot more work (constant) to keep it working on ever-new systems.

Im 50 this year and for me software has been a dream come true. It allows me to work fully professional with just a laptop and a pair of headphones wherever I may be on the planet. People take it for granted these days but for some of us it was not that long ago when it simply did not exist. I came from hardware in the 90ties and remember clearly the very first vst from Steinberg. It was magic, and I fantasized about a future where we could work fully on just small mobile computers. I drew fantasy noodles of how I imagined a virtual studio would look like. Its crazy to think about this now.

Im just so happy it all runs so smoothly now. It took some years, until about WinXP came around. From there on its been a bliss.

A solid 20 years or so. Zebra must be pretty old now, I remember it from way back. :)

god i'd kill for Uhbik apple silicon.
Well not kill, but you know.

I've been avoiding it because it's becoming a tad glitchy on newer systems (they tend to explode), but i miss them a lot

i also would love for there to be an Apple Silicon UHBIK suite.

We are working on it.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:03 am We are working on it.
FASTER

HARDER

nah i just really miss them

Return to “u-he”