List of MPE Hardware Controllers (and More)

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a list of MPE hardware controllers, sorted in alphabetical order by interface type and accompanied with their product status.

Sourced from Elecktronauts, Keith McMillen Instruments, ROLI, Sensel Forum, Wayback Machine, as well as my own research. If the list is missing something, and/or has any errors, please inform me via PM or reply to this thread.

Grid: Guitar: Keyboard: Oblique: Ribbon: Spatial: Surface: Wind: Zones:
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Tue May 07, 2024 3:38 am, edited 44 times in total.

Other MPE hardware that do not fit in either controllers or synthesizers are listed here.

Cameras: Interfaces: Sequencers:
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:28 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Fishman TriplePlay Wireless and Fishman TriplePlay Contact, MIDI guitar controllers?
https://www.fishman.com/tripleplay/

Thanks for the list. Some of them where new to me…
I would also add iPads to the list. There are several controller apps that support MPE, like GeoShredControl for example… (a poor mans linnstrument…; - )

Gromit42 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:11 pm Fishman TriplePlay Wireless and Fishman TriplePlay Contact, MIDI guitar controllers?
Thinking about it, Roland (and Boss) guitar synthesisers might also send out MPE.
The boxes, not the hexaphonic pickups fitted onto the guitar.

I cannot find any information from the product page or user guides suggesting the Fishman TriplePlay product line supports MPE. Cite me a counter claim and I will take time to review it.

I know about a few iOS/iPadOS apps that operate as a MPE controller, such as the ROLI Seaboard 5D, and, now discontinued, the AC Sabre. However, the iDevices themselves do not constitute as MPE hardware controllers, as they do not send out MPE data to other compatible MPE hardware, such as DAWs or synthesizers. Feel free to provide a rebuttal.

Any guitar/bass to Midi that sends on separate Midi channels per string, should act like a MPE controller. It might need some extra Midi mangling for control or pressure messages though… Each string of such an instrument is mono…

I have added the Lekholm Instruments DM48 and DM48X Digital Chromatic Harmonica to the list. The DM48 is discontinued, and has been replaced by the DM48X. Special thanks to Matthew Wood from Poly Expression for their contribution there, which I have mirrored here.

I will eventually start adding the discontinued ROLI products and Sensel Morph projects. Currently I consider it a low priority.

I have added the remaining ROLI products. This update includes the Lightpad Block, Seaboard Block, Seaboard GRAND, Seaboard RISE, and all of their variants. I have also added the Skoogmusic Skwitch. Lastly, I added the Wayback Machine as a source.

On the second post, I added the Reliq Instruments Reliq, an unreleased MPE sequencer.
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

I know it's not "hardware", but with a tablet computer (especially an iPad) and midi out cable, there are several MPE apps available that turn a relatively cheap tablet into hardware that functions similar to the Linnstrument or the Haken Audio Continuum Fingerboard. It might be worth mentioning, since there are many options available as apps, and it's hardware, even if it's not "dedicated" hardware. :)
Last edited by audiojunkie on Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Yes, such discussions have already been held here in this thread. They would fit better in a separate thread dedicated towards the Apple ecosystem. Even so, they lack pressure expression, so they are not truly MPE controllers on their own, and would require an external MPE controller to utilize the apps' capabilities. A notable exception is the AC Sabre app mentioned earlier.

Thanks for coming by from the Linux DAW thread.

No worries! :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

I have added the Zivix Jamstik Classic MIDI Guitar to the list, and rearranged the Zivix Jamstik Studio MIDI Guitar towards the bottom of the list. Special thanks to Jukka for mentioning it in Elektronauts.

I have also rearranged the DigiAuxine inc. Kaoline near the top of the list, changed its status to unreleased, as well as changing the status of this.is.NOISE.inc MIDI BLASTER to preorder. Lastly, I have added the midiphy LoopA to the second post, marked as WIP.

The ROLI Seaboard RISE 2, while listed as a preorder, is currently on its twelfth batch, not the first batch, so it released status stays unchanged.

I have added the Tirare to the list, and marked its status as unreleased. On the second post, I have added several cameras from PTZOptics capable of being controlled by MPE. Only the second generation is explicitly stated as supported.

I contacted DigiAuxine inc. over the weekend about the Kaoline, this was their response:
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your interest. The Kaoline project has been slow lately but is still alive. At this stage, some beta prototypes of the instrument are circulating around. We did not start commercial sales yet since we are planning to change some design elements before we go for a wider audience. If you want, we could update you when we get there, hopefully before the end of 2023.

If you feel somehow adventurous, we do have 2 or 3 more beta instruments available. Maybe, we could ship you one for a fee that would essentially cover our part cost. If you are interested in going that path, send me samples of your work and we could discuss further how this could go on.

Best,

Hami
I do not plan on testing the Kaoline due to my commitment with the LinnStrument, but if anyone else is interested in exploring prototypes of it, I suggest contacting Hami to establish an arrangement.

The Skoogmusic Skwitch's status has been changed from unknown to released. I contacted Skoogmusic, and Ben Schögler replied back saying that the Skwitch is still available, so if anyone is interested they can purchase directly from Skoogmusic. It is also available from the Apple Store, but availability varies by region.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”