List of MPE Hardware Controllers (and More)

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On the second post, I have added the TA Programming Ltd. Studio MIDI & CV Interface, and marked its status as released. As well, I have moved several entries from the List of MPE Hardware Synthesizers thread to the same post and list, as they do not synthesize sounds.
  • Endorphin.es Shuttle Control
  • Expert Sleepers FH-1 'faderHost'
  • Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
  • Polyend Poly 2
  • Snyderphonics MantaMate
  • Tubbutec µTune

I have rejected AudioSwift 2 using Force Touch for inclusion, as Force Touch only has one Aftertouch value, known as Force Click, which is performed by a hard click on the touchpad and applying pressure to it.

The ribbon strip on the Hydrasynth keyboards do not constitute as polyphonic pitch bending from an MPE standpoint, as all affected notes cannot be independently controlled in pitch. This is one of the main motivations behind the MPE specification being developed in the first place.

For the next update, I will separate the "bucket" list in the first post into multiple lists, similar to the List of MPE Hardware Synthesizers thread.

As promised, the "bucket" list in the first post has been separated into multiple lists by interface type.

The next major update involves SOMA Laboratory and SDS Digital, among others. Please enjoy the current update while I make time to sort out these manufacturers and their products.
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Wed May 10, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Is any of the gear from Eigenlabs still available? You show it as released, but I can't even reach their website - I thought they were gone for a long time?

Cheers!

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:14 pm Is any of the gear from Eigenlabs still available? You show it as released, but I can't even reach their website - I thought they were gone for a long time?

Cheers!

Tom
Some are able to access the website, but the last mention of that was October 25th, 2022. I have not been able to access it recently, although the last time I did it loaded just fine. The checkout process was also functional.

I sent an email to their customer support. There are unconfirmed claims that John is still making batches, so I will clear this up for everyone.

I have added the Galax Synthesizer Co. Galax Balsam as an entry to the Grid list, and marked its status as unreleased. It uses 8 pressure-sensitive pads placed in a row, with sliders above them to adjust pitch. Here is a video demonstrating that. Not much detail is mentioned about it on the official website, particularily if it is also an MPE synthesizer as well, so I will be keeping track of it for updates.

I have yet to make time to review the products from SOMA Laboratory and SDS Digital, but will aim to do so by the end of next week. I have also not heard back from Eigenlabs, so I will try contacting John directly later if possible.

I have added the SOMA Laboratory TERRA as an entry into the Oblique list, and marked its status as unreleased. This experimental controller uses velocity/pressure sensitive metal sensors and a built-in gyroscope for additional modulation. From the manual:
TERRA’s interface as a notes MIDI controller in MPE mode.
In this mode, you can play an MPE-compatible synthesizer through TERRA’s unique interface, using the features of MIDI Polyphonic Expression.

The sensors are assigned as follows:
A — CC16
B — CC17
C — CC18
D — CC19
and transmitted through the Master Channel (Channel 1).

The notes played on 1-12 — including their tunings with the microtonal adjustment, and combined with +- +- and its microtonal adjustment — are transmitted as MPE messages in the following format:
  • Each note is transmitted on its MIDI channel (Channels 2-13).
  • Velocity of transmitted notes is 127.
  • The state of each sensor is transmitted as Channel Pressure (Aftertouch) on the channel of the note that it plays.
  • The integer part of the note’s pitch is transmitted as MIDI note number.
  • The microtonal component of each note is transmitted as Pitch Bend message on that note’s channel. To correctly transmit the microtonal component, Pitch Bend should be set up for +/-48 semitones range on the controlled synth.
The tuning of 1-12 and the polyphony equals the polyphony of the preset (algorithm) selected. In algorithms containing a monophonic keyboard, the polyphony of MIDI messages transmitted equals 5 voices; 12 voices for tri-phonic keyboard; 12 voices for the arpeggiator. The arpeggiator’s work is not transmitted via MIDI.

The Gyroscope’s X axis is assigned to the Master Channel’s (Channel 1) Pitch Bend.
Unfortunately the built-in synthesizer is not MPE compatible. Once again, from the manual:
TERRA can be synched to an external MIDI clock, but there is no way to control TERRA via external MIDI due to how radically different and more complex TERRA's synthesis control is. It’s a constant and multilayered high-resolution data stream, conveying the smallest motion of a finger. Confining that unique synthesis to a cage of on/off MIDI messages would kill 70% of TERRA's charm, and even MPE wouldn't help. So we dropped that idea.
I have also added the SDS Digital & K Accord Melisma, SDS Digital Accord Sequarellel, and SDS Digital Rechan into the Interfaces list in the second post, and marked their status as released, released, and unreleased respectively. Also, I have added the Retrokits RK-008 and the Sequentix Cirklon 2 as entries into the Sequencer list, and marked their status as released. As mentioned in their respective Elektronaut threads in the list below, MPE is supported, but it is resource-intensive.

I have added the Ableton Push 3 as an entry to the Grid list, and marked its status as released.

I have added the 203 Electronics Matrix as an entry into the Grid list, and marked its status as WIP. This is a customizable and fully open-sourced grid controller. Nengzhuo Cai, the sole developer of this project, stated this in their Reddit post about MPE:
I’m not really enjoying working on production so I do want to shift my focus to less scaleable projects at higher prices in the future. Also, I’m interested in making an MPE-capable version of Matrix in the future.

The Eigenlabs and John's website are fully back up, so I checked them both out. It seems like the Eigenharp product line is still available. However, trying to order through checkout this time leads to an error message using Firefox.
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.eigenlabs.com. Peer using unsupported version of security protocol.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

This website might not support the TLS 1.2 protocol, which is the minimum version supported by Firefox.
Looking through the Wayback Machine, the estimated shipping dates are auto-generated.

John's contact form does not work.

Based on all of this information, and the lack of email response, it is more likely that the Eigenharp product line is discontinued, so I have updated the entries in the Wind list.

ROLI also relisted the Seaboard Block Studio Edition's URL on their website, even though they have discontinued it, so I will be watching it for further updates.

The SOMA Laboratory TERRA's status has been changed from unreleased to preorder.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
FranklyFlawless wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:29 pm I have added the 203 Electronics Matrix as an entry into the Grid list, and marked its status as WIP (https://libreddit.kutay.dev/r/synthesizers/comments/13t3rqn/my_open_source_customizable_grid_controller/). This is a customizable and fully open-sourced grid controller. Nengzhuo Cai, the sole developer of this project, stated this in their Reddit post about MPE:
I’m not really enjoying working on production so I do want to shift my focus to less scaleable projects at higher prices in the future. Also, I’m interested in making an MPE-capable version of Matrix in the future.
Do you happen to have his contact or can it be found anywhere, can't find it on official website ?

Proyal36 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:06 pm
FranklyFlawless wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:29 pm I have added the 203 Electronics Matrix as an entry into the Grid list, and marked its status as WIP. This is a customizable and fully open-sourced grid controller. Nengzhuo Cai, the sole developer of this project, stated this in their Reddit post about MPE:
Do you happen to have his contact or can it be found anywhere, can't find it on official website ?
Yes, you can reach Nengzhuo by a few methods:

I contacted ROLI customer support over the weekend about the status of the Seaboard Block Studio Edition, and I received this reply from Joe Hawke:
At this point in time, the only two hardware controllers we are producing are the Seaboard RISE 2 and LUMI Keys. The Seaboard Block is still up on our site but we are not at the moment selling this product. If we do, the website will be updated accordingly.
It is implied the URL was relisted by accident.

ROLI's Compatible Synths, DAWs, and Instruments webpage now links to my lists of MPE hardware threads as authoritative references.

When looking at getting a controller, I was concerned about being able to map microtonal scales. I just wanted to add a note about the Striso here which I did some research on. I liked the fact it had an on-board mini-synth (though it is very very limited), but found out pretty quickly that its layout prevented an instant 'go to' 19-tone tuning as it's missing a couple of notes (E#/Fb and B#/Cb). Remapping is possible, like pretty much every other controller, but it was this 'missing opportunity' that steered me over to the Linnstrument.

I am aware that the Artiphon Chorda has been announced in a recent Kickstarter campaign, so I will get around to adding it along with another entry once time permits.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”