Mulab under the hood

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yoo da man! :tu:

I'm jumping on board the VST3 wannabe list too... ;)

Hi Jo,
I recently started to be interested in programming and I would like to ask a bunch of questions. Whenever I compare your work with other big guys it is quite often superior in terms of sound quality. Absolutely clean oscillators, pleasantly musical sounding filters, timestretching algorithms, the list goes on. In fact, it is so good that I almost stopped using plugins altogether, as I don't see the need to while making music with Mulab. Obviously I'd like to learn from the best.

1. What programming language is Mulab written in?
2. How much of it is your own code written from scratch?
3. Where did you get all the knowledge? Did you go to school or is it just passion and determination?

As Mulab is a closed-source commercial product, I realize these are personal questions, feel free to ignore/delete this post if needed. I decided to ask it here for if you spill some insights someone in the future might also find this useful.

I agree and would also be interested to know 😁

I think its 100% written from scratch though, yes?

Hi Humanboeing, thanks for your appreciation and your deeper interest in MuLab.
I'll be happy to answer your questions soon but since sunday i'm ill by a covid infection :(
I'll get back on this as soon as i feel good enough. Talk soonish.

I suspect there is some voodoo, dark magic and alien technology involved.

mutools wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:00 am Hi Humanboeing, thanks for your appreciation and your deeper interest in MuLab.
I'll be happy to answer your questions soon but since sunday i'm ill by a covid infection :(
I'll get back on this as soon as i feel good enough. Talk soonish.
Hope you feel better soon Jo.
Im seeing alot of people of all ages post covid and a lot are finding they feel lethargic, so don't feel you need rush to get back to it. You may find your not able to concentrate as well as usual for a short time,so don't beat yourself up about it. All the best :tu:

All the best Jo, hope you're feeling better soon :tu:

Sorry to hear that, if I can recommend something is to drink a lot of warm beverage and if you have energy to eat, add raw garlic to food. I wish you a quick recovery.

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

Thank you for the kind support and interesting health tips. Doing my best to recover asap from this nasty virus. I'll deliberately keep myself mostly on the background this week to ensure enough rest. Talk soon.

humanboeing wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:23 pm What programming language is Mulab written in?
C++
How much of it is your own code written from scratch?
Didn't make a precise calculation but i'd say 98%.
The remaining 2% are a couple of open source libs.
Where did you get all the knowledge? Did you go to school or is it just passion and determination?
Oh man, where do i have to start the story?
My fascination and passion for sound & technology started from a very early age, before 10.
I first experimented with sound electronics, but as soon as i got my first own computer (Atari 1040 St) it was all about sound software since then. I officially studied IT / programming, but the biggest part is self study. A fascinating adventure, but it has cost many many years... And software is so volatile and transient, so sometimes i feel ashamed i spent so many precious years of life to it. But i guess that's typical when someone is passionate about something.
Whenever I compare your work with other big guys it is quite often superior in terms of sound quality. Absolutely clean oscillators, pleasantly musical sounding filters, timestretching algorithms, the list goes on. In fact, it is so good that I almost stopped using plugins altogether, as I don't see the need to while making music with Mulab.
I have a question too: What about the hypothetic idea to make MuLab plugin-free and focus 100% on the internal sound engine? Like the original Reason. It surely has both advantages as disadvantages and so i wonder what you guys think & feel about the idea.

Thank you, Jo, for your insightful answers. Now, I'd like to share my thoughts.

If you're looking for an alternative business model, there is no right or wrong approach. I have worked with both open source and closed source businesses for over 20 years, and I have seen many different types of businesses succeed and fail. In most cases, the problem is not the "business model" itself, but rather the management of the business.

There are several alternative approaches that you could consider, but ultimately, the most important thing is to find a model that makes you happy. If you have any ideas that you'd like to discuss, please feel free to send me a private message.

Hey oldcastle, thx for your interesting reply. Is your reply related to my question about the hypothetic idea to make MuLab plugin-free and focus 100% on the internal sound engine?

Yes. For the hypothetical idea. Please correct me if I misunderstood it.

I have a question too: What about the hypothetic idea to make MuLab plugin-free and focus 100% on the internal sound engine?
Do you mean, MuLab would hypothetically no longer support 3rd party plugins like VSTs, CLAP, etc? We could only use the internal effects and instruments?

Return to “MUTOOLS”