Bitwig 5 is up

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Check the website :D

The big surprise is no big surprises...MSEGs are the headline. improved modulation, improved browser, some new clip launch options...that's about it for the main new features

All nice to have, but personally I was expecting a lot more- this is like another point update.
Last edited by SLiC on Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:58 pm MSEGs are the headline
And not a great deal more, apart from a reworked browser.
After all this time I've got to say I'm somewhat disappointed.

This is exactly what I was waiting for) MSEG, Wavetable LFO and most importantly the ability to copy / paste the shape of the modulators.

Crash at launch with MBPro M1Max 12.6.3
Anyone else?

The onset detection has been improved as well:
Bitwig Studio has a new audio onset detection algorithm, improving the timing accuracy of onsets

They sure did change the pop-up browser. Hrm. I guess only time will tell if it's actually "better" or just "different."

muzicxs wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:12 pm The onset detection has been improved as well:
Bitwig Studio has a new audio onset detection algorithm, improving the timing accuracy of onsets
I’m getting out the microscope as we speak :D
That’s was a major drawback for me.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:58 pm All nice to have, but personally I was expecting a lot more- this is like another point update.
What I like about this update is that they applied the concept of curves everywhere! In modulators, in grid modules, in Polymer. That's not a small undertaking, in my opinion, and definitely worth a version bump.

Also, project-level and track-level modulators are huge! Imagine what crazy stuff you can do with project-level modulators...

slackhead wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:02 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:58 pm MSEGs are the headline
And not a great deal more, apart from a reworked browser.
After all this time I've got to say I'm somewhat disappointed.
Came here to see everyone bitch about the update. Was not disappointed. lmfao. Gotta love the bitwig community.

mholloway wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:13 pm They sure did change the pop-up browser. Hrm. I guess only time will tell if it's actually "better" or just "different."
Can already tell its better.

SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:58 pm Check the website :D

The big surprise is no big surprises...MSEGs are the headline. improved modulation, improved browser, some new clip launch options...that's about it for the main new features

All nice to have, but personally I was expecting a lot more- this is like another point update.
You serious? This is one of the biggest updates they’ve ever done. I don’t think you understand what’s been added here.

Can you loop the MSEGs between any two points or only at the end?

muzicxs wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:26 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:58 pm All nice to have, but personally I was expecting a lot more- this is like another point update.
What I like about this update is that they applied the concept of curves everywhere! In modulators, in grid modules, in Polymer. That's not a small undertaking, in my opinion, and definitely worth a version bump.

Also, project-level and track-level modulators are huge! Imagine what crazy stuff you can do with project-level modulators...
Exactly! I think there's more to it than at first meets the eye. I think this is pretty huge for the modulation system, which was already bloody ace and the main reason I switched to Bitwig in the first place. There could've been a few more goodies I suppose, but I'm sure there's more to come. I'm pretty happy with what's on offer here and I think I'll probably upgrade at full price for the first time (my plan expired about a month ago 😢) once it's out of beta.

ozinga wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:12 pm Crash at launch with MBPro M1Max 12.6.3
Anyone else?
same but windows 10

Definitely need to go through the release notes. I do want to have realistic expectations, but my super initial impressions are...a little disappointed, especially after such a long time since a "real" update (4.3). On one hand, I understand that MSEG is pretty essential to certain types of music, and from that standpoint it's great that they've finally gotten this tool. But from a broader perspective, it still feels like yet another toy at the end of the day. Another way to tinker with the sound. I was really hoping for some relatively deep improvements to the more boring, vanilla stuff. Well, let's take a look anyhow.

Return to “Bitwig”