TAL Sampler - discussion

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Relevant to the discussion on the reverb, there's still the bug with the delay stereo width doing funny things. I don't know whether it always functioned the way it does now such that a change will alter some presets, or if a bug crept in recently that has already altered presets. Either way I hope it gets fixed, I like using built in effects where I can and I'd have to ignore the delay in its current state.

Yes, it needs to be fixed. Presets can always be adjusted to compensate for the corrections. Leaving functionality broken for the sake of not having to change existing adjustable, correctible presets is the wrong way to do things. My vote is to fix any bugs and problems, despite what happens to the presets.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

1+ for fixing bugs despite how it affects earlier presets

mjudge55 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:59 pm Relevant to the discussion on the reverb, there's still the bug with the delay stereo width doing funny things. I don't know whether it always functioned the way it does now such that a change will alter some presets, or if a bug crept in recently that has already altered presets. Either way I hope it gets fixed, I like using built in effects where I can and I'd have to ignore the delay in its current state.
I passed on your report a while ago, perhaps it's worth a follow up? In that case there definitely was no suggestion it wasn't being fixed because of previous presets, just my concerns on the reverb behaviour. I suspect it's just been missed.
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:57 pm Found new bug in version 4.4.5
The (individual) filter freq. of LAYER B is not modulatable when selected in matrix.
Instead , choosing LAYER'S D filter frequency will modulate the filter freq. of LAYER B ( and D °)
This has been fixed in the latest update
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler
emptyvessel
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.

There is a Linux version mismatch between Version posted on tal site ( v4.4.9 ) and plugin downloaded ( v4.4.8 ) . all bugs related to previous V4.4.8 "Layer A-D filter Modulation" still exist. Maybe V4.4.9 link still points to older version 4.4.8. I have notified Patrick of version mismatch. I have discovered more bugs related to the "Layer filter modulation" but will wait for proper version posted on tal site.
Last edited by chibchan on Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

chibchan wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:32 am There is a version mismatch between Version posted on tal site ( v4.4.9 ) and plugin downloaded ( v4.4.8 ) . all bugs related to previous V4.4.8 "Layer A-D filter Modulation" still exist. Maybe V4.4.9 link still points to older version 4.4.8. I have notified Patrick of version mismatch. I have discovered more bugs related to the "Layer filter modulation" but will wait for proper version posted on tal site.
What OS are you on? I downloaded and installed the OSX version and it reports the correct version and the layer B mod issue looks to be fixed.

Has anyone had any issues with presets they've created recently using the grain mode suddenly being broken in 4.4.9? Mine have the main layer Stretch knob (not the stretch knob in the grain settings) set to -100% which is not how I saved them and obviously means the read head doesn't actually move through the sample, I think there are other things changed as well as even setting the Stretch back to 0% does not entirely fix the preset.
It's not affecting older presets if I load up presets from any of my older expansion packs.
emptyvessel

EmptyVessel wrote: What OS are you on?
On Linux. I've also edited my post with added OS.
There are other bugs pertaining the mod matrix modulation "amount" and layer filter cutoff. I'll post these once latest version of tal-sampler for linux is posted.

chibchan wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:45 am
EmptyVessel wrote: What OS are you on?
On Linux. I've also edited my post with added OS.
There are other bugs pertaining the mod matrix modulation "amount" and layer filter cutoff. I'll post these once latest version of tal-sampler for linux is posted.
Sure, that's what I was sure I remembered. Interested to hear what other strange behaviour you're noticing once you're sure you're up to date.
emptyvessel

tal-sampler v 4.5.0 linux
Filter modulation layer bugs.
Please remember to play a key or chord while rotating knobs.

steps to reproduce:
1) load Default preset and enable "Layer A" filter 12dB LP.
2) In the Mod-Matrix assign "layer A" filter to first modulator destination, P1 for source and -1.0000 for "Amount"
3) Set P1 controller to 0.50.

P1 knob controller will now control Layer A filter cutoff. Test to verify by playing any key or chord and rotate P1. Set P1 controller back to 0.50.

Click hold and rotate "layer A" "cutoff" and at its half way position ( 12 o'clock ) the filter cuts off (bug).
Rotating the "Layer A" filter "cutoff" full left then full right will reveal a filter cutoff bug of 0Hz at a 12 o'clock position.
Things get more strange when switching P1 controller to P4 (or P3) ( set to -0.50 ) controller and "Amount set to 1.0000 in the "mod-matrix".
Rotating Layer A cutoff exhibits same bug of filter being open at full left or right with a cutoff at mid position of 12 o'clock.
I guess P3 and P4 controllers have greater range hence the difference in offset values in comparison to P1 and P2 controllers.

same strangeness but in different places.
We're gonna rearrange our first modulation slot.
Back to mod-matrix and set "Amount" -1.0000.
Switch P4 controller to P1 and set P1 controller to 0.50.
Rotate Layer A cutoff to a 12 o'clock position.

the bug
Rotate P1 controller full left and full right. You'll notice the filter will open at either end and close at 0.50. P3 and P4 also exhibit same behaviour with slight variation in their controller values.

More strangeness, different place.

Set P1 controller to 1.00.
Rotate Layer A cutoff to 0Hz (full left).
Back to mod-matrix and rotate "Amount" full left and right and notice filter opens on either end (bug?).
:phew:
I don't think these behaviours are intended to be this way (Master filter does not exhibit any strangeness...so far) and its quite possible that I opened pandoras box.

Can anyone else confirm?

I've got a feature request: An option to make a sample mono using either the left or right channel. Old samplers (usually?) only had one input so if you were sampling a stereo record you would have to choose to sample either the left or right channel. This often makes a big difference when sampling an older recording that might have hard panned drums for example. Having an option to do this in TAL-Sampler would be a nice addition. I think somewhere in the top right of the mapping view would be a logical place for it. For the very same reason it would also be nice to have it in TAL-Drum. Please and thank you! :D

chibchan wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:25 am tal-sampler v 4.5.0 linux
Filter modulation layer bugs.
Please remember to play a key or chord while rotating knobs.
I don't think these behaviours are intended to be this way (Master filter does not exhibit any strangeness...so far) and its quite possible that I opened pandoras box.

Can anyone else confirm?
thanks for all the detail, I'll take a minute to process all of that and I'll check if it's the same for me, I'd imagine it will be. The strange bug with the grain stretch mode should be fixed, most recent update sets the main layer Stretch and Size to 0 which results in silence (or noise if you have some randomisation on the grain position). I had quite a few presets that broke as a result.

btw I didn't intend to group ALL TAL Sampler discussion of any sort into this thread, I was just trying to keep discussion out of the "current versions" thread. If it makes sense to have a Bug report thread we could start one or there's no reason not to post individual threads for discussion, it might be easier to search or just browse at a glance. Happy with whatever is working though. :tu:
emptyvessel

EmptyVessel wrote: btw I didn't intend to group ALL TAL Sampler discussion of any sort into this thread, I was just trying to keep discussion out of the "current versions" thread. If it makes sense to have a Bug report thread we could start one or there's no reason not to post individual threads for discussion, it might be easier to search or just browse at a glance. Happy with whatever is working though. :tu:
I thought of starting a new topic on the bug report as well but seeing how it became the trend to post here on such issue. I have no problems either starting a new topic on bug reposrts. :tu:

EmptyVessel wrote: most recent update sets the main layer Stretch and Size to 0 which results in silence (or noise if you have some randomisation on the grain position).
I just realized this one. :scared: Didn't know why most of my projects with tal-sampler sounded horrible or worst, no sound at all.

chibchan wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:00 pm
EmptyVessel wrote: btw I didn't intend to group ALL TAL Sampler discussion of any sort into this thread, I was just trying to keep discussion out of the "current versions" thread. If it makes sense to have a Bug report thread we could start one or there's no reason not to post individual threads for discussion, it might be easier to search or just browse at a glance. Happy with whatever is working though. :tu:
I thought of starting a new topic on the bug report as well but seeing how it became the trend to post here on such issue. I have no problems either starting a new topic on bug reposrts. :tu:
It's not like it's up to me, whatever works for everyone really. I just wanted to keep things a little bit more organised so there weren't bug reports or random questions in the changelog and FAQ threads where they might get missed. Discord would be a much more fluid way to go...
emptyvessel

Return to “TAL Software”