Drum Computer: Basic Functionality Missing

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can only save presets for the entire state of the plugin. Unlike other drum machine plugins I'm familiar with (nerve, XO, Atlas, Microtonic, Tremor) you can't save kits separately from patterns. That is a basic, must-have feature. Just having "presets" that save everything, but with no ability to quickly cycle through different kit/pattern combinations is a major oversight and reduces the usefulness of the plugin.

The plugin is disappointing in general. The bare-bones preset functionality is one example of many unfortunate design choices and omissions. I wouldn't call it a serious, well thought-out instrument. It's more of a silly toy that can make some fun little noises, but is frustrating in very basic, obvious ways if you actually try to use it as a drum machine.

It's possible to lock the pattern by toggling the "pin" icon in the pattern control up top. This way you can change global presets without changing the pattern.

You can save individual engines. You need to click the "---" at the top of the relevant engine. Same place where you can load engine presets. There does not seem to be a way to lock a kit or engines though. I suggest sending Sugar Bytes the suggestion. It is something I would like as well.

As for using it to generate sounds, it is not what I consider intuitive. It really helps to read the manual. The way the resonator and frequency modulation work is not how I expected it but it makes sense the way it is once you know how. In fact, I had to write my own notes to explain it to myself that I revisit every time I use the plugin. Eventually I will memorize the workflow. But it is obviously capable of making excellent modern sounds and working as a drum machine in the classic sense of the term. The presets are the proof.

I wrote about drum synthesis here earlier: viewtopic.php?p=8593399#p8593399

Return to “Sugar Bytes”