Triggering note from audio in bitwig.

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, so the answer is probably obvious but somehow I am kind of stuck now.

I have a multi output battery playing, triggered by a complex and evolving midi track.

I have the snare on a specific output. I am trying to have a kind of gated reverb on this snare. But i want my gated reverb to have a complex and changing pattern.
If the snare was in a separate midi track. I would use any mseg available and trigger it when the snare is triggered. But I can't (?) do that because the snare is on a complex rythm track and the mseg would be triggered all the time.
I can't use audio sidechain on this specific output because audio side chain can't do the complex envelop I want to do.

I could split the midi track but it is kind of a shore and I am sure there is a more eleguant solution. I just can't find it now.
Any idea?

Easiest would be to take the note which triggers the snare as a trigger. You can take a note filter to have only this note and exclude all other notes which are played from that Midi track…

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:27 pm Easiest would be to take the note which triggers the snare as a trigger. You can take a note filter to have only this note and exclude all other notes which are played from that Midi track…
Thanks. But then where to place that? I can't place it on the same track isn't it? Should I have a track for the reverb with a note receiver + filter and an audio receiver?
Is it the best option?

You could put a channel filter before the gated reverb and only allow say channel 2 through. Then in your MIDI clips, put the snare notes on channel 2

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:46 am You could put a channel filter before the gated reverb and only allow say channel 2 through. Then in your MIDI clips, put the snare notes on channel 2
Whaou that's smart! I didn't know I could do that inside the same midi track.
I will try and report here.

Thanks all!

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:46 am You could put a channel filter before the gated reverb and only allow say channel 2 through. Then in your MIDI clips, put the snare notes on channel 2
Ok ! So I did try.
I am using UVIWorkstation with Drum Designer as my drumkit... I couldn't see how you configure a midi clips to only output the snare on a channel. If you could point me on instructions, I didn't see. I mean, I know that I can see the channel range in the inspector of a midi clip. But if I am trying to change the range, it is not behaving in the way I am expecting... As I am not using hardware since years (decades) I think my midi skills are super rusty.

So what I did is:
I created a second channel (what I wanted to avoid) with a note receiver and a note filter to get only the snare from my original track. Then an Audio receiver with only the snare output (I mute on the main track). Then I put my reverb here and all my modulations are working as expected, midi triggered only by the snare.
I had to group both on a group track in order to keep my other global effects here.

It is not as elegant as I wanted but I have at least direct control on the snare volume. It is independent from midi clip (as I have many it could be a shore to configure all).

What do you think of this solution ? Is it much worst that what you proposed ?

In your MIDI clip you select the snare notes and in the inspector set them to a different MIDI channel from the rest of the clip. Default is generally channel 1 so I suggested setting snare notes to channel 2

Some plugins pass MIDI through and some do not. I don’t use the plugin you are using so don’t know whether it does. If it passes MIDI then you only need the channel filter. If it doesn’t pass MIDI, then you need a note receiver and then the channel filter

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:25 pm In your MIDI clip you select the snare notes and in the inspector set them to a different MIDI channel from the rest of the clip. Default is generally channel 1 so I suggested setting snare notes to channel 2

Some plugins pass MIDI through and some do not. I don’t use the plugin you are using so don’t know whether it does. If it passes MIDI then you only need the channel filter. If it doesn’t pass MIDI, then you need a note receiver and then the channel filter
Ah ok ! That simple ! I was running around at more complex stuffs.
Thanks a lot man, really appreciate the help...

Welcome…

MIDI channels are so useful!

Return to “Bitwig”