RapidComposer v5 beta feedback and discussion

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

More about the User Interface.. I couldn’t find in the Settings how I could make “Chord Selector always on Top”.. well, the Chord Builder too, of course))

Why Melodya and Mutator don't have the option to synchronize with DAW like the VST version. Without it they are almost useless for me.

RapidComposer v5.2b8 is available!

Improvements:
  • "Melody" section added to MIDI Mutator (and other small changes). Use it if you want to change the 'unlocked' notes but preserve the rhythm.

I really like all the new additions in this beta! Very good job! :)

I just have some minor remarks and questions:
- I don't use the AI and I have disabled and hidden it in the options. But when I open the "song view" and switch back to another view the AI symbol appears again, greyed out of course.
- Apply rhythm processing - set rests: what exactly does 100% rests mean? I would have assumed that all the notes disappear, but this does not happen.
- Function Generator - timeline selection: it seems to sometimes use more or less than the region that I have set to create the function part, only if the frequency fits perfectly to the region it stops at the end, but if the region is not divisible perfectly by the frequency it adds more or less area to it. Could also be expected behavior, but it surprised me when I realized it the first time.
- The window size of e.g. the phrase panel changes depending on the selected tab. E.g. if I resize one tab larger so that I see everything, and then switch to another tab in the same window it is small again. Would it make more sense to keep the size consistent through all tabs? Sometimes I feel like I need to resize it multiple times until it fits for all tabs. In some cases the window is so small that I don't even see all the tabs.
- Copy and paste seems to not work anymore in the MIDI mutator (via shortcut or right click menu), only via ctrl+drag&drop.
- When using rhythm generator "modern" in the MIDI mutator with 1/16th it's always creating only notes for half of the initial bars of the MIDI, the algos "algo #1,2,3.." create notes for all the initial bars. I used 4 bars in my test. I have set event length to maximum, but this parameter does not affect the number of bars which are recreated. Only when I change 1/16th to 1/8th it is creating notes for all 4 bars.
- Sometimes the MIDI mutator does not create sound when clicking on the play button, I need to select on of the notes first and afterwards it plays the right soundfont. I think this happens after each melody recreation, but not sure.
- Is the Markov generator still working in the MIDI mutator? It does not do anything here.
- Is there any way to lock notes in phrase generators or the melody generator so that they don't get recreated? Similar to the MIDI mutator behavior.

No major things, just some small inconsistencies which sometimes break the flow a little bit, or at least leave me wondering if it behaves as expected. ;)

Thank's again for all your efforts and looking forward to new improvements! :love:

Distomen1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:56 pm Why Melodya and Mutator don't have the option to synchronize with DAW like the VST version. Without it they are almost useless for me.
I've said this previously I'm totally with you on this

musicdevelopments wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:41 pm RapidComposer v5.2b8 is available!

Improvements:
  • "Melody" section added to MIDI Mutator (and other small changes). Use it if you want to change the 'unlocked' notes but preserve the rhythm.
Attila not sure what's happening with the mutator situation which I emailed you about and I still haven't received beta link .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blobby19 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm I really like all the new additions in this beta! Very good job! :)

- set rests: what exactly does 100% rests mean? I would have assumed that all the notes disappear, but this does not happen.

Hi Blobby,

I haven't had the opportunity to explore the Beta version yet, but I can offer some insight. In this rests tool, which stand for the gaps between notes that play a crucial role in shaping various rhythms across different genres. Imagine your favorite melody in a MIDI file, where each gap between notes ranges from 2 to 4 beats long. By applying these settings to any phrase or generator, you can consistently achieve desired syncopation and rhythm in your creations. Additionally, you can tweak rhythms while maintaining the essence of a desired rhythm. There's a significant feature awaiting fixing by Attila, which promises to be immensely beneficial once resolved. I eagerly await testing it and plan to create a video showcasing all the new features." buy myself don't use the AI feature but what I've suggested to Attila will work better than AI for custom phrases and workflow.

lovemusic15 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:24 am Attila not sure what's happening with the mutator situation which I emailed you about and I still haven't received beta link .
I sent you a PM with the download links.

Since March 11th, update checking stopped working in all my applications due to server configuration changes.

This is already fixed in RapidComposer v5.1.4, so checking for updates will work again from this version.

For the beta version I am afraid you will need to use the .php links to download it. I gladly send the download links to anyone who needs it.

I am sorry for the inconveniences!
Attila

lovemusic15 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:16 am
Distomen1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:56 pm Why Melodya and Mutator don't have the option to synchronize with DAW like the VST version. Without it they are almost useless for me.
I've said this previously I'm totally with you on this
You will need to use the plug-in version for Melodya and MIDI Mutator if you want to synchronize it with your DAW.

I just checked, it is not easy to implement this, because in the RC plug-in the main composition is synchronized with the DAW, and clicking on another tab (Melodya or MM) during DAW playback is complicated to handle (hanging notes, etc).
But I added it to my to-do list.

Thanks,
Attila

Hi Blobby19,

many thanks for your feedback! :tu:
Blobby19 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm I really like all the new additions in this beta! Very good job! :)

I just have some minor remarks and questions:
- I don't use the AI and I have disabled and hidden it in the options. But when I open the "song view" and switch back to another view the AI symbol appears again, greyed out of course.
Yes, I have fixed this.
Blobby19 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm - Apply rhythm processing - set rests: what exactly does 100% rests mean? I would have assumed that all the notes disappear, but this does not happen.
All percentage sliders (NONE to ALL) set the number of notes affected. 100% will set all rests to one of the chosen duration in 1/32.
Blobby19 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm - Function Generator - timeline selection: it seems to sometimes use more or less than the region that I have set to create the function part, only if the frequency fits perfectly to the region it stops at the end, but if the region is not divisible perfectly by the frequency it adds more or less area to it. Could also be expected behavior, but it surprised me when I realized it the first time.
Yes, sorry, this is a known issue. The reason is that to avoid placing hundreds/thousands of CC events that only a few CC points used with exponential curves between them to approximate the desired function. At the end of timeline selection this function should be clipped. This is not a problem in the Phrase Editor where an extra invisible last curve point is inserted.

Blobby19 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm - The window size of e.g. the phrase panel changes depending on the selected tab. E.g. if I resize one tab larger so that I see everything, and then switch to another tab in the same window it is small again. Would it make more sense to keep the size consistent through all tabs? Sometimes I feel like I need to resize it multiple times until it fits for all tabs. In some cases the window is so small that I don't even see all the tabs.
Each tab has a preferred/optimal size, which the user can freely resize, when possible.
Blobby19 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm - Copy and paste seems to not work anymore in the MIDI mutator (via shortcut or right click menu), only via ctrl+drag&drop.
You are right, I fixed this too!
Blobby19 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm - When using rhythm generator "modern" in the MIDI mutator with 1/16th it's always creating only notes for half of the initial bars of the MIDI, the algos "algo #1,2,3.." create notes for all the initial bars. I used 4 bars in my test. I have set event length to maximum, but this parameter does not affect the number of bars which are recreated. Only when I change 1/16th to 1/8th it is creating notes for all 4 bars.
I found a bug today which caused creation of less rhythm events. So hopefully this is fixed now.
Blobby19 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm - Sometimes the MIDI mutator does not create sound when clicking on the play button, I need to select on of the notes first and afterwards it plays the right soundfont. I think this happens after each melody recreation, but not sure.
I'll check this, thanks for reporting this bug.
Blobby19 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm - Is the Markov generator still working in the MIDI mutator? It does not do anything here.
Yes, it should work. When you drop a MIDI it will analyze it, and then clicking on "Markov generator" should create similar sequences.
If you have a MIDI file that does not work with it, please send it to me in e-mail.
Blobby19 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm - Is there any way to lock notes in phrase generators or the melody generator so that they don't get recreated? Similar to the MIDI mutator behavior.
There is no way to do that unfortunately. Most phrase generators would not give good result with intermittent locked notes.

Thanks for the detailed feedback and bug reports!

Attila

I need to use CC 34 or 35..

BluGenes wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:51 pm I need to use CC 34 or 35..
CC 34 is the LSB for CC 2 (Breath controller) 14-bit value, while CC 35 is the LSB for CC 3 (Undefined).
Why do you need them?

RapidComposer v5.2b9 is available!

It turned out there were several bugs in the new Melody section in the MIDI Mutator. Everything is fixed now.

Improvements:
  • Fixed re-appearing AI button
  • Cut/Copy/Paste shortcuts work in the MIDI Mutator
  • MIDI Mutator: rhythm generator bug fixed that resulted less notes than needed
  • Fixed various bugs in the Melody section: silent playback, using different scale and other problems

musicdevelopments wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:04 pm
BluGenes wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:51 pm I need to use CC 34 or 35..
CC 34 is the LSB for CC 2 (Breath controller) 14-bit value, while CC 35 is the LSB for CC 3 (Undefined).
Why do you need them?
Toontack's EZ keys organ. They changed one of the CC's to 35.. This is the release notes.. (v2.05)
https://www.toontrack.com/release-notes ... -ezkeys-2/

Amazing. According to the MIDI 1.0 standard these cannot be used as independent 7-bit controllers...
There are dozens of undefined CC's that can be used for any purpose (and they are all 14-bit). :(

and

I'll see what I can do to allow this.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”